Duramax rebuild

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, been not paying much attention as my second job has been keeping me hopping lately. The truck is still sitting we have not pulled the motor or anything. A good Snow and Mud member just PM'ed me a line on a parts truck. I will update as we go.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if we can swap in a motor from a 2005, C/W computer, do ya need to swap the harness as well?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
220,000KM???? :eek: sure is not a gas engine? ;)

Guess you won't join the ranks of these guys

Tom Olding, Fort Recovery, Ohio, thinks the head gasket may be going out on the engine in his 1995 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel.
That might make it a "worst buy" canidate except for the fact that this truck just recently passed the 1 million mile mark and the enging has never been touched. Nearly everthing about the pickup is origional. "I bought it new when it came out in 1994," he says, aoubt the extended cab pickup with a Cummins Diesel.
Olding can't say enough good things aobut that engine. "I've changed the oil every 9000 miles , and I've replaced the fuel pump on it at about 750000 miles. I've worn out a couple clutches, and fifth gear has gone out of the transmision twice," he says.
"But with more than a million miles on the pickup, I'd have to say I've gotten my money's worth out of it."
He has used the pickup to deliver Airstream travel trailers from the factroy to dealers, driving for KBT Trucking Go. He delivers an average of about one trailer a week, logging somewhere around 110000 miles per year.
He believes he holds the record for most miles on a pickup with the original engine. "I didn't start out to put that many miles on it," he says. "I've worked for KBT for going on 15 years, and started out with a Ford F-350 with a diesel engine. I put 572000 miles on it before I replaced it with another F-350. The engine on the second one started smoking after only aobut 240000 miles so I traded it on the 1995 Dodge.
"When the Dodge passed up my first Ford I figured I'd put 600000 miles on it . It kept going strong, so every time I passed another 100000 mile mark I'd decide to go for the next one. It wasn't long before it had 900000 miles on it and I figured I might as well drive it a million miles," he says.
When he passed his goal, he bought another 3500 Dodge Ram with the same engine. "I found a 1996 that had only 160000 miles on it. It had been well-maintained, and I figured it might be as good as the older one."
He now uses the well-traveled pickup for shorter trips, but says he still wouldn't be affraid to head off on a long delivery with it. "It doesn't have the power it did when it was new, but it'll still handle a 26 ft travel trailer just fine," he says.
Cummins Diesel Engine Co. invited him to display his 1 million mile pickup at the plant in Columbus, Indiana in May when the company celbrated the production of its millionth engine. A video commemerating the occasion will include footage of Olding's Cummins powered pickup.

Well that is the story. Just thought I would share.

I ran the black book on your truck

Year Make Model Series Body Style
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LS Ext Cab

Depending on your vehicle's condition, the value may be appraised higher or lower than the prices shown. Reconditioning Costs and the actual kilometers on the vehilce may also be a factor.

Average Trade-in: $8,050.00 Average Retail: $10,250.00

So to drop 15G for an engine wouldn't be worth it I would scrap it and start over I gave it the benfit of the doubt with ext cab 4x4 and mid trim line. If you put a new engine in it tomorrow then wreck it your would be far upside down. and with the price of trucks now you'd be better off spending 15G on a new one:twocents:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
220,000KM???? :eek: sure is not a gas engine? ;)

Guess you won't join the ranks of these guys

I ran the black book on your truck

So to drop 15G for an engine wouldn't be worth it I would scrap it and start over I gave it the benfit of the doubt with ext cab 4x4 and mid trim line. If you put a new engine in it tomorrow then wreck it your would be far upside down. and with the price of trucks now you'd be better off spending 15G on a new one:twocents:

$4500.00 for used motor, harness and computer!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2002 truck is still in limbo, waiting to build my garage this summer before I start this project. But I compiled some info from a diesel fourm, thoght I would pass it along to possably help somone else. I still would like to find out if the harness's can be swapped, but I'm still searching.
-'04 and down engines (LB7) should be a bolt in for your truck. '04.5 up engines (LLY,LBZ) might be possible to use the short block, but the heads were redesigned and have different injectors, don't know if they are useable with your ECM and wiring harness or not. They also have a variable pitch turbo which will be useless with your truck because the LB7 didn't have this feature. you could possibly use the '05 short block assy. with your complete top end.

-All model years to date can have the shortblock swapped. From there up there are several differences. The only thing that happens in the short block is that they used different pistons.
2001 - 2005 LB7 and LLY 17.5:1
2006 - up 16.8:1
-blocks are interchangable, slight changes, LBZ stronger for HP. checkout post while back by rickdlance, he converted LB7 to LLY heads to get away from injector problems, you can backfit your heads. FICM different, 2003+ electric/electronics different.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd check with your local dealership,that might be a warranty issue with the motor.Or call GM directly and see what they will do for you. The engines(d-max) have longer warranty than the rest of the truck or they may special policy it.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
before you go to all the trouble of swaping try and figure out what failed, if only bottom end you may be able to get a crank and bearings cheap, not hard to change, or even if a piston or rod it will be cheaper to fix the 4500 plus your time to change. they are a heavy bi@#h. what noises did it make before she quit? was it smoking?

farmboy020

Reaction score
just to add to here i have been looking at a 2001 duramac with 340xxx km and now im thinking its a bad idea after these stories. it has has all the injeectors done and from what i have read that was the d max's. i was wondering how many kms you guys got on your and how log you will think they will last. also mileage ona an lb7. what are you guys getting. Also your input for $10 000 should i get it or not. Once i look it over. thanks

Top Bottom