Duramax rebuild

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good shop to rebuild a duramax. 220km toast. Motor will be on the stand.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what failed?i've seen alot of #2 cam bearings fail taking out the turbo then the oil pump,either way it's going to be pricey

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, rebuilding = expensive.... Did you look for a good low mileage used engine??? It's a cheaper alternative, however, a good used engine won't be cheap either!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've put in a few new rebuilds with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty comlete(turbo to oil pan) for less than $14000.00 installed. And used ones about 1/2 to 2/3 that price...

How much for just the motor? As far as a used one I'm wondering if I'm just buying the same problem?

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good buddy of mine is the owner of RPS based out of Morinville. Give him a call, he may be able to help you out. His name is Rich and you can get ahold of him @ 780-903-0245. He does diesel performance work,air suspension, exhuast, chip work, etc and is amazing at what he does.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've put in a few new rebuilds with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty comlete(turbo to oil pan) for less than $14000.00 installed. And used ones about 1/2 to 2/3 that price...
that 20000.00 price was for a new one from the stealership

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! Do you know why it went? Mod'd? I just switched from a 454 to a Dmax...I hope it's going to last longer than 220k.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! Do you know why it went? Mod'd? I just switched from a 454 to a Dmax...I hope it's going to last longer than 220k.

No I don't yet as KP in RD hooked up their little scanner and said it's toast. So once we get her home I see what we got. Probably pull her out and strip her down, then go from there. But I think if it is toast we will go with a good used if we can find one, as the truck is not worth that much to begin with. 2003 cab and chassis. So I think what we are going to do is make a sled truck out of it. Maybe stretch the frame a little, put a 11 foot deck. Then maybe covert from dually to single. Step one is get her running again. I'll keep ya updated as we get time to pull her out.

P.S she was bone stock. No mods

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Good luck and keep us up to date...photos are always good.
My 02 Duramax is at 195,000 and still running strong.
No I don't yet as KP in RD hooked up their little scanner and said it's toast. So once we get her home I see what we got. Probably pull her out and strip her down, then go from there. But I think if it is toast we will go with a good used if we can find one, as the truck is not worth that much to begin with. 2003 cab and chassis. So I think what we are going to do is make a sled truck out of it. Maybe stretch the frame a little, put a 11 foot deck. Then maybe covert from dually to single. Step one is get her running again. I'll keep ya updated as we get time to pull her out.

P.S she was bone stock. No mods

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us up to date...photos are always good.
My 02 Duramax is at 195,000 and still running strong.

Sounds like you have another 25,000km to start looking for a new ride, or rebuild the old oil burner.

Hard to drop 15 to 20 tho on a truck that may be worth 20 to 25, kind of sounds like an oilfield fix, get it running as cheap as possible and sell it fast. where do all those high mileage vehicles go.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to drop 15 to 20 tho on a truck that may be worth 20 to 25, kind of sounds like an oilfield fix, get it running as cheap as possible and sell it fast. where do all those high mileage vehicles go.[/QUOTE]

If a guy could get $20 to $250000 It would be a easy decision, The last truck like this one same shape, more miles sold for $12 and that was back when trucks were selling good.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not much choice sell it and get another one or get one for parts? Still not much sense in fixing. Sure is a shame though

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we have decided to go with a used motor. If anyone has a line on a good used, please PM me.:d:beer::beer:

stalefish_132

Reaction score
i'd like to know what exactly is "toast" on it, there are lots of used Dmax engines floating around for pretty cheap. any short block will work, just slap your lb7 heads and acc on.

my 03 dirtymax has 395xxxkm on it and still runs like a raped ape, my dad has a 04 with 290xxxkm and runs just as good as ever.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i'd like to know what exactly is "toast" on it, there are lots of used dmax engines floating around for pretty cheap. Any short block will work, just slap your lb7 heads and acc on.

My 03 dirtymax has 395xxxkm on it and still runs like a raped ape, my dad has a 04 with 290xxxkm and runs just as good as ever.

ya, i'm with stalefish.... Which way have you decided to go??? Used, or rebuilt, and give us an idea of costs, just to educate the rest of us peeps.

Top Bottom