Duramax problems

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
I have an 05 6.6L Duramax that has been spending more time sitting than driving lately since I bought a smaller car for around the city.
The last couple of times I've driving it it will start bogging a sputtering and pouring white smoke out of the exhaust but then seems to be ok for a while again.
Now its on my driveway and I can't even get it above idleing without filling my entire neighborhood with white smoke.
I've been told that some of the 2005 era duramax's have had problems with the EGR valve sticking. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or has any thoughts before I have to tow it to a mechanic and let them have their way with me.
Any input would be appreciated.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
white smoke tends to be coolant, so your egr might have cracked or your head gasket let go, is it modded? sorry to say but this one might be $$$

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it does kinda sounds like your burning coolant :(

white smoke can also come from unburnt fuel, like when my truck was trying to regen dumping in raw fuel and not being burnt. had a shotty resistor in my DPF delete kit, had nothing to do with coolent. like I said, injectors can do this, EGR can do this, either way, could be spendy.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stuck open injectors can be filling the hole wit raw fuel. Get some good conditioner and try that first. My 08 has been sitting in storage since end of Sept and just got pulled out yesterday and ran like bag, surging really bad until i put new fuel in it and took it on a good run.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for chits and giggles pull the air filter and make sure no furry friend built a home from it sitting around. Have seen that the odd time. Just suggestion.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read about a lot of Dmax issues that guys had that were solved with a new fuel filter. It's a long shot but it's cheap and easy to do.

Do you know anyone with EFILive? They could do an injector balance rate check for you and would likely cost a lot less than a stealership would charge you. PM Sent.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'll check my coolant but my gut is telling me that ain't it.
I know a couple of months ago it seemed like I was really lacking power and I couldn't hear my turbo, then suddenly it was OK again.
Didn't have the white smoke at the time...just no power.
Ugh....with my luck I've got a turbo on the way out and probably some injectors on the same boat.
I've got it chipped but only keep it on the +35 hp setting.
When I bought it new from the dealership I asked about putting additive in the fuel and they advised me not to but if it turns out to be injectors I'm wondering if maybe I SHOULD have. I've got just over 200,000 kms on the truck...is it common for injectors to fail with that many kms?
The irony is that I parked it cuz it was getting too expensive to drive but now parking it seems to be causing even more $$$

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
I've read about a lot of Dmax issues that guys had that were solved with a new fuel filter. It's a long shot but it's cheap and easy to do.

Do you know anyone with EFILive? They could do an injector balance rate check for you and would likely cost a lot less than a stealership would charge you. PM Sent.

Ya I tried changing the fuel filter. Didn't help

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'll check my coolant but my gut is telling me that ain't it.
I know a couple of months ago it seemed like I was really lacking power and I couldn't hear my turbo, then suddenly it was OK again.
Didn't have the white smoke at the time...just no power.
Ugh....with my luck I've got a turbo on the way out and probably some injectors on the same boat.
I've got it chipped but only keep it on the +35 hp setting.
When I bought it new from the dealership I asked about putting additive in the fuel and they advised me not to but if it turns out to be injectors I'm wondering if maybe I SHOULD have. I've got just over 200,000 kms on the truck...is it common for injectors to fail with that many kms?
The irony is that I parked it cuz it was getting too expensive to drive but now parking it seems to be causing even more $$$

200k seems pretty early for injectors, I thought the LLY's had less problems than the LB7's with injectors. I run some 2st oil in my fuel when I think of it, but I don't know if you should blame yourself for not putting any in.

If you find out that it's a turbo, you should be able to find a good used one for pretty cheap. I'd say whatever the stealership tries to sell you is a rip off, but that's just me. I'm looking at a new garrett 4094 for my LBZ for under $2k brand new as a comparison.

mxracer328

Reaction score
buddy had that same problem it was his head gasket, on a 05 6.6L at first start up let the truck warm up and grab the rad hose (top passenger side of the rad) if its rock hard most likley head gasket.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 05 with 268000kms. Just had a cracked injector line cost a little over $200 to fix. I was thinking the worst but was pretty happy that's all it was. Was undrivable.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
to solve the coolant theory ,are you going through coolant at all ?

No coolant level seems to be fine. Just trying to find time to get it to a shop and let the experts figure it out. My wallet feels lighter already.
There is a diesel shop in the west end DCL I think its called. Probably bring it to them.
Will post the diagnosis when I find out for whoever cares.
Thanks fer the input.

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
I have 05 with 268000kms. Just had a cracked injector line cost a little over $200 to fix. I was thinking the worst but was pretty happy that's all it was. Was undrivable.

Wow...I can only pray I get away that easily

Verti-Kyle

Reaction score
Thanks again to those who gave their input. :beer:
Turns out it IS the EGR valve stuck wide open.
Heads up to 2005 era duramax owners as apparently this happens quite frequently with em.
I'm relieved it wasn't injectors or turbo. Knock on wood

Top Bottom