Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fall action.
a149782964f38f5110d7fd66645a9f6c.jpg
866fc6cc0877bbe28188befacd2867e3.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My kids bought me a Mavic Mini for my birthday, man these things are cool. It doesn't require one to get the basic drone operator license because it's one gram under the threshold for registration. It came with a coupon code for a free online course, I figured what the hell, paid my $10 and took the exam after the course and passed it no problem. So I'm probably going to have to get a bigger drone. You know, just because.

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
Just a little note on registration and licensing. If your drone weighs less than 250 grams, you don't need either one. My DJI Mini is 249 grams, making it exempt from registration, and the person flying it from requiring a license.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out Saturday taking farm land pictures.

It was a bit windy on ground level.

But at 200 feet Ingot the constant wind warning flashing.

First time for that.

Still got good pictures

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

DTH

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a mini 2 or maybe even an air 2 but a couple of questions. Is worth buying the fly more package over the basic ? and what about refresh warranty ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHAT DRONE? if its a DJI it will have tripod mode. Gets rid of the jerkyness
It's a DJI Mini 2, and even in C (cinematic) mode the yaw is still jerky if you abruptly let go of the stick. I've started playing with the pitch and yaw settings, there is even a soft stop adjustment on both. Slowly getting it figured out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a mini 2 or maybe even an air 2 but a couple of questions. Is worth buying the fly more package over the basic ? and what about refresh warranty ?
The fly more combo is definitely the way to go, you get spare batteries, case, extra props, and multi charger. I did the refresh warranty on both my mini and mini 2. I sold the mini to my buddy and he crashed it in a week and wrecked it. It's currently in Grapevine TX being inspected for replacement which will cost $49 USD. Worth it IMO.

I'd get the Air 2 if you don't mind getting the basic pilot license and registering the drone. it has obstacle avoidance sensors and follow modes that the mini and mini2 do not have. I'll be getting one of those next.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fly more combo is definitely the way to go, you get spare batteries, case, extra props, and multi charger. I did the refresh warranty on both my mini and mini 2. I sold the mini to my buddy and he crashed it in a week and wrecked it. It's currently in Grapevine TX being inspected for replacement which will cost $49 USD. Worth it IMO.

I'd get the Air 2 if you don't mind getting the basic pilot license and registering the drone. it has obstacle avoidance sensors and follow modes that the mini and mini2 do not have. I'll be getting one of those next.

Obstacle avoidance is great as well as follow modes

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obstacle avoidance is great as well as follow modes
For sure, I should've upgraded to the air 2 rather than the mini 2 just for that reason. The mini 2 is plenty capable video/photo wise, but the follow me mode would be cool to have. Wish I'd known the basic operator course was that easy.

DTH

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions guys. Im pretty sure I will go with the air 2. Now I see they have a new kit with the smart controller, what are your thoughts on this upgrade ??? Man this is gonna get pricey. Might have to give up hookers and blow for awhile.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on the smart controller yet, read about some bugs and glitches it's been having. It's essentially an android platform phone built into a controller. The nice part is the screen brightness, I don't think there's many devices out there that come close to it's 1000 nits.

I'm using an 8 inch Asus tablet, the bigger screen is nice enough that I don't think I could go back to a phone size screen. The only way I'd think of getting one is in a combo like with the air 2, they are almost $900 to buy separately.

I'm too old to read the little messages that pop up on the phone screen while flying without wearing reading glasses, with the glasses on I can't see the drone in the air and have to take them off. Sometimes the little pop up messages tell you some important things lol.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my i pad for flying

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bfcf6f5ecd8bfd324d04787ae18e3f6c.jpg

I just run 1 controller. Using i pad.
With 2 controllers one is for flying.
One is for the camera.