Drinking while Sledding

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been some talk in the McBride November Conditions thread about this, so here is a new thread to discuss the subject.

Here's my opinion on the drinking while sledding subject (you don't have to agree, but here it is).

When we sled, we don't drink until we are down from the mountain. There are many reasons for this:
1. Ability to react is slower, I don't care how many beer you have had. You may have to avoid another sled on the trail, a stump that you saw at the last second, or even an avalanche starting.
2. Judgement is changed. You may decide to do something or go somewhere that you wouldn't normally, and this can be very dangerous. I also do not want some idiot running into me, or highmarking me while I am stuck and causing an avalanche. This is more likely to happen when someone is drinking.
3. Endurance is compromised. If it is my azz buried in an avalanche, I want my buddies to get me out as quick as possible, and the booze will slow you down, I don't care who you are. How would your wife like to hear that you are dead, and you and your buddies were drinking and they couldn't get you out in time (even if the booze had nothing to do with rescue time).
4. Weight. And I am serious about this. I carry enough other survival supplies and tools, I would rather not have the extra pounds on my back, or my sled.

I will NEVER sled with a group of riders that drinks before riding or during the day again. I want to come home to my family. Just my 2 cents.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm too chitty of a rider to be able to impair my riding skills any further!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we only have them after the ride!!!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
This is a testy subject as we've found out before when a similar post was done.
I don't have a wobbly pop until the end of the day and I won't ride with people who have more that one at lunch and one before you head down...any more and I'm outta there.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I with all of you on this The beer stays in the hotel or the truck. Safety First people. Please get off the mountian first. Don`t want to be calling ur family telling them the horible news. my 2cents

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have a few drinks on the hill but something happen to some friends of mine they got in a bit of a wreak and had to spend the night on the hill, broken bones and all, until the rescue flight got in there the following day. Since then all I will take is 1 beer to have with lunch. Plus as said before we carry enough stuff up the hill so whats the point in lacking in survival stuff, and tools to have more room for the stuff that could only get you in trouble.:d But once down the hill....party on dude!!:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drank up the hill and before i went up the hill once and when i got up there climbed a hill that nobody had gone over yet and i went straight over the top, then after a few more drinks i couldn't make it over for nothing .. So since that day i never take more than 1 beer up the hill to have with lunch.. as what is the point if you are not as aware of whats goin on around you and you cant ride aswell either.. And like it's been said on here before in the case of an avvy or other emergency you need all your wits about you so you can react as quickly as possible..

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
i'm too chitty of a rider to be able to impair my riding skills any further!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we only have them after the ride!!!
Staring at the man azz in front of you is intoxicating enough?????

I don't drink while I'm riding....... But I make up for the dry time at the bar at night!!!!

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Staring at the man azz in front of you is intoxicating enough?????

I don't drink while I'm riding....... But I make up for the dry time at the bar at night!!!!

Thats the way to be plus they love your money more so in the bar lol

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree and i disagree with the above statements, one or two i do not think hurts too much, but yes we see lots of abuse out there.. but it is not ok to sit in the lot and party because you have to drive home. we all do it even myself, i just think moderation. its not a piss fest

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crew I ride with,, we take a couple each for the ride during day...if we know the riding area and where we are going.... when we are going into unformilar territory we leave in truck.... once loaded up and back at camp or hotel then it's RUM TIME..!!!

I agree with the keeping the wits about you on the hill, but over the yrs I have see guys so pissed they are falling off the sleds on the trail down or launching them into places they shouldn't off corners and such,, just being jackass's..... but no madder where ya going there is always one!!!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you drink on the way to the mountains(when you are driving)? If not, what's the difference? If so, you are a loser anyway.

scrapmaster

Reaction score
in the mountains we always wait until were back at the chalet for drinkin, iv had to many close calls with booze cruisin when i was a kid lol.. ditch abngin mite stop at a buddys for one but thats about it

W

woodies

oh here we go!beer and popcorn time!and yes i'm at home! lol at this thread topic again!

GRD

Reaction score
Very touchy subject, and lots of good points...:rolleyes:

I am the kind of rider that has one with lunch!:rolleyes:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I will take 2 beers up the hill if i know its gonna be a long days ride, otherwise just 1(on the hill @ 9am and down @ 5pm or later).... Maybe another 1 in the parking lot, then a bunch at the room.......... I have practised and exersized the molson muscle all summer long. Lol

good to see all the different opinions, and glad no one is pushing it on anyone else.................. Now what about the guys that take a whole flat of beer or 2 or 3 crocks of rum or rye up the hill, like the guys we saw this past weekend doo, and i hope they're not on this site. But maybe they should be, so they can be tuned in.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to drink and ride when I was younger but haven't done so for years now. I get too crazy with the fun flipper so I just wait until the end of the day, over doo it, and puke in my balaclava all the next day. Everyone is safer that way.:d:beer::d:beer::beer::beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the Canadian Ski Patrol thing for a coupel of years. Read a report on alcohol and it's effect on skiers. It was very interesting.....one drink was enough to prevent most skiers from 70% of suffering life threatening trauma in an accident. HOWEVER...more than one drink and it became inversely proportional. You are more likely to suffer life threating trauma in an accident.

Hope everyone who takes any sort of drink out on a ride is packing the container out.

Top Bottom