Drinking and Sledding

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here is a question -->
I rode a couple of times with guys who did more drinking than riding. I feel it's a dangerous combination. I wear a helmet for safety and don't drink while riding for the same reason.
I'm not against having a few...there is a time and a place and my buddies will tell you when it's the right time..."I'm There".
There will always be a few pops in the sled trunk but what is the limit. Do your agree that the same limits should be used as driving a truck...0.08 is the limit, in other words a few pops during the day is all you can have.
Me, I will only have one pop at the cabin at the end of the day just before heading down...that's my rule.

1 - So what are your thoughts and rules?

2 - Will you ride with people over the limit?

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drinking & Sledding

:nono: 0.08 is the limit for any motorized vehicle form cars, trucks, sleds, tractors whatever you are driving, licenced or not, you can be charged for driving under the influnence.

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
Never, Never!!!

:nono:
I never drink alcohol and sled or drive anything! I've seen one too many accidents on the flat land with barb wire fences, ditches, approaches, irrigation canals etc.

In the mountains, it's just plain idiotic that anyone is consuming liquor. Never mind the impairment effects and the overall danger of it all, but one must consider that drinking liquor all day will dehydrate you a lot faster.
Now, throw into the mix that if an accident occurs late in the day and you have to spend the night, the effects of consuming liquor all day will mulitply your problems 10 fold! It's difficult enough to survive a night in the mountains with all the right gear and you want to be in the best position possible to come out alive both mentally and physically!

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although there is alot to be said for a lunchtime coolie on the top-o-the-mountain accompanying a rejuvenating smokie on a bun!, our group's general way of thinking is that truck, trailer, cooler, and 'refreshments' are all sitting in the parking lot and have never failed us as being a very successful 'plan-B' in the event weather, snow conditions, or break-downs force you off the hill. That being said, if you have enough time to get loaded on the mountain.. you ain't there for the sleddin' are ya!. and just to be clear, someone is the D-D from the lot to the hot-tub.
-Cheers

Mayfly

Reaction score
Yeah I have to agree, I have buddies that ride to drink and I find that I ride with them less, for that reason. I have limited time to ride due to work, so want to get the most for what little time I have. After the day and back at the room, sure tilt em back.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Good Topic

Good Topic.

I have ridden with guys that spent more time drinking beer than riding, they were hosed by noon. There was one time one the rider left his pack unzipped and lost all of his beer on the trail up. That was good for them. After the second ride I realized that this was a huge risk and I would sooner stay at home than to worry about someone getting hurt because it was bound to happen. I found different people to ride with

Let it :snow:

RON

GRD

Reaction score
Agree

Getting drunk and sledding don't mix...:nono:

We leave the beer at the truck and have a DD.:rolleyes:

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I choose not to ride with people who are drinking...I can't imagine calling a buddies wife with bad news when I know I can make a difference.
A group of us were riding in Sicamous and were the last to leave the mountain. The group in front of us was so drunk they had driven their truck into the ditch and were covered with mud. We couldn't leave them 12 miles up so we let them in the box of one truck. As we drove away one of them yelled to stop, that they had forgotten something, the beer, he went running back and to grab more beer. Idiots. They could have killed someone.

tireguy

Reaction score
:nono: I must reflect on my adventure four years ago when riding by myself ( silly thing to do ) I hooked up with three young gentlemen to ride with for the day. We stopped several times for them to have refreshments ( unfortuneately more than just beer ) during the day. About mid afternoon I found myself in extreme chest pain and unable to breeth ( yes I was having a heart attach ) . After the pain lessened I was able to find my " riding buddies " and explained my delima. Being unsure of the location of my truck I suggested I needed to get home ASAP . They politely told me to turn left at the next fork in the trail and I would be headed for my truck!!! I must assume that the refreshments had something to due with the quality of assistance that was offered! Obviosly I made it home ( on my own ) and I am in better condition now than ever. I wonder if they ever found their sled ramp????:Holidayslol:

04doo

Reaction score
drinking & sledding are not good

Your body get's to soft & your balls get to big
I have seen more guys wreck there sled while drinking because they think they cann't be hurt that is not the cause
If the cops really start checking the peaple it will make it bad for everybody how many peaple let there 12 to 15 year old kids ride you know. almost everybody does if we don't get our kids into sleding at a early age they will be looking for something else to do my like hang out down town looking for trouble my 13 & 8 year old kids put on 200 to 500 miles a year & for me i put on about 700 to 1000 miles a year the best time sledding it watching my kids have a good time riding
If our kid don't start rigging till there 16 they will be out of there minds & craze when they get that age you can't tell them nothing
By law nobody can run with out a lic like everything else it will only get worst as tiem go's on unless peaple start making the choises.

Attachments

• 1855.jpg
    1855.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 1869.jpg
    1869.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1870.jpg
    1870.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 41

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To make along story short,leave your booze and whatever else at the hotel.I'll gladly helpyou drink it after the sleds are put away!Dont want a drunk diggin me out or have to dig out a liquid hero!:nono:
My two cents
catmando

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
What about the people that do drink

I thought that maybe some of those people that do drink (and I don't mean one or two pops) on the hill would want to explain thier position on this questions...I've seen enough of them to know tht they exist?

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is the same, beers are for the parking lot not the alpine... booze effects the body differently at higher elevations so even one can encourage a climb or a drop that turns into a wreck or God forbid a death.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good replies riders. In the perfect world nobody would drink and ride. BUT we are far from perfect. As a past president of the ASA i strongly believe in not drinking when riding but in the past it was different. I changed because with these machines now of days it is crazy to not have all your senses working at their peak not fuzzed out by drinking or smoking wacky tobacky. We all see those riders out there having a beer with lunch and then we see those out there just to drink as much as they can. Time may change I know it has since I started snowmobiling. Change is good.

rbsledding

Reaction score
I am with the majority, leave the pops for the parking lot and the hot tub, too many guys get hurt when you mix the two on the hill

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys also.I can't believe that there's no one out there that think that this practice is ok.I also know that they exist.I guess they're not on a site like this where most are here for the love of the sport.

BigDog67

Goop

Reaction score
Okay I will admit I was one of those guy's more beer than gas.
But winter is short there is beer at home so why waste a trip drinking?
Also when I started riding the mountains sled was 100hp on a good day and now I ride a turbo. A guy kind of need's all his wit's things happen pretty fast.
My 2 cent's

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
There you are

I wondered when someone would step up and say they were one of them. Glad to hear you've slowed it down.
Life is already too short without making an avoidable mistake.
It's not a "fault" it's a choice.
Beers for everyone, when the day is done!

I sound like some kind of Preacher....sorry for that
:lame:

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
I was one of the guys that rode when the sport had lots of booze and sex involved in it. Ah the memories. Then we got fast sleds and I don't need any more courage so no more booze but we need to get the sex back into the sport.

Top Bottom