Drinking and Sledding

leftyq

Reaction score
I am with the majority, leave the pops for the parking lot and the hot tub, too many guys get hurt when you mix the two on the hill

drinking and operating any machine ( sled , quad . car . truck etc. )is not good , standing around in a parking lot drinking out in the open for kids to see isn't right either ... kids see adults do it ( parents .uncles. aunts . older brothers etc. :) they won't see anything wrong in doing it either because they weren't showin or told any different ..hhmmm .makes sense don't drink and sled but drink and drive home afterwards ...

ski-doo

Reaction score
drinking and sledding is not a good comb. if you have to drink to have a good time on your sled theres a problem. Even if you drinking on the trail you still have to drive home after and thats putting other peoples lives at risk. My friend got hit by a drunk driver and was in a coma for a long time. I don't want that to happen to anyone so don't drink and sled. IF you want to drink go to the bar. Sleddings fun without drinking.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a question -->
I rode a couple of times with guys who did more drinking than riding. I feel it's a dangerous combination. I wear a helmet for safety and don't drink while riding for the same reason.
I'm not against having a few...there is a time and a place and my buddies will tell you when it's the right time..."I'm There".
There will always be a few pops in the sled trunk but what is the limit. Do your agree that the same limits should be used as driving a truck...0.08 is the limit, in other words a few pops during the day is all you can have.
Me, I will only have one pop at the cabin at the end of the day just before heading down...that's my rule.

1 - So what are your thoughts and rules?

2 - Will you ride with people over the limit?

I have seen way more than enough wreaked sleds being towed down off the hill (I mean number of sleds per day on average) to really make me wonder and worry about people. Of course when you ask, “ya, drinking was a factor” (if you can get a coherent answer).

I would love to have a single beer, maybe at lunch or at the end of the day, but I'm too scared to pop a beer now in a group as there’s always some around that is willing to take this further. Pretty soon on your second or third trip out he’s got a lot of beer on his sled. My practice now is abstain until I'm back at the hotel or at least the truck (even though I miss my one beer on the hill that I wanted to have). The rule is NO substances on the hill – clear message, and no encouragement.

Also, I generally try to stay away from those that are obviously into serious drinking (and other substances) as there’s going to be an incident sooner or later way up on a stupid impossible slope or something bad and I don't want to have to help these guys . . . so I tend to leave the area.

Last year we had a large group up at renshaw. At day end we grouped up by the cabin (like everyone does). About 10 of us went down first and 5 followed a minute later. Later that day I heard how just after we left: some yahoo fired his sled, went to the bar with the throttle, did some wild close quarters donut wheelie maneuver :fear: (remember this is by the cabin, sleds every where), lost control of the sled and rode it across the deck in front of the renshaw cabin between the posts and out again (at full throttle of course) and then finally got it shut down and staggered back to his group spouting off about that bronco he just rode. Any number of people could have been badly hurt, even killed. Thank fully no one was. No harm no foul? RIGHT!

I’ll stop my rant now.
:rant:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's simple -- if you drink on the hill, even if it's just 1, which it never is, you have just proven to all you're an idiot. leave the drinks for when you are back home or at the hotel.
if something goes wrong on the hill, people need to have all their wits about them.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my main reason for leaving the pops at home.I cant imagine my group getting caught in a avalanche and me being too drunk /impared to dig them out . If the horsepower and the stuggle to see how far you can go is not enough rush for ya.....STAY HOME P.S using a polaris/yamaha for trackion is how I get high.

slickdog

Reaction score
Getting loaded while sledding in the mountains is plain crazy.... but.... i do enjoy a nice cold beer in the mid afternoon while relaxing in the sun watching people high mark... and i am sorry to say but if someone approaches me and starts preaching about it.... an ear full. and possibly an ass kickin will come around.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A cold one is not the only thing I have see and there has been people up there that when we see them we go the other way. I am not agianst one or two for a whole day of riding.

I have noticed over the years that some can have a few and they slow down and become very caution and then there is the others that speed up and those are the one I worry about.

As for doing the other stuff up there please leave that to the hotel room Thanks

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One in the parking lot while the truck warms up, :beerchug: 2 in the hotel waiting for buddies to get ready for dinner, 2 more at dinner then :beerchug: 10 or so in the hot tub and at the poker table to ease the pain of losing all my money in bed by 10:30 and up again at 6:30 to do it again:shots:

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
overkill 19 I,m with you, if you see it and dont like, move on, I dont tell you that you have to have one, so dont bother trying to tell me I cant have one.

triplethreat

Reaction score
drinking and riding

i have to agree its not a good plan to drink and ride
i have to agree with the .08 law they made it for a reason
years ago when we got our trail permits here in saskatchewan we got a safe rider sticker to show we dont drink and ride
surely there must be a better way to enjoy the day sledding with other kinds of beverages and leave the other at home till your done for the day
honestly would you risk your life over a drink or two maybe more

Top Bottom