Dragon Reliabilty....

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
Not that I'm any kind of mechanical wizard, but every sled has some issues. I rode my '09 with zero issues up to 1800 miles. Like mentioned, warming up before you start riding I think helped alot, (if you sit for 10 mins or so, watch the coolant temp when you fire it up, motor still hot and coolant from tunnel is cold=thermal shock), I beleive there is an aftermarket coolant bypass kit which might help with that issue.
Also another major issue causing some failures I believe can be due to the 4 inj set up, there is a lean spot between the inj going from the lower inj to the upper inj. If that makes sense, hence using a Fuel controller to fatten up the mid range. I never had issues with this I beleive as it was more or less idling/low rpm or full throttle.
Piston skirts are another issue, this is what busted off and blew holes in my crankcase/ injectors/ reeds/jugs etc etc. So now it has the FIX kit bought from Chrisco at Parkland in St Plain, will see what happens this season, unless someone wants to buy it and let me know how it works out!
Bring on the pow!

Good post I also read that the 2010's went to a dual ring piston as opposed to single ring in the 08_09's. Any truth to that helping with the piston rocking in the cylinders?

Sent from my Xoom

wbonertz

Reaction score
Hey my buddy has an 09' Dragon(bought it used). It ran like crap the 1st time out. Turns out that Polaris designed that engine with shorter pistons. After so many Km's they start to side-slap and loose compression. My buddy got a kit called: "The FIX" from SLP (Starting-Line-Products). He also got a tuned pipe/silencer. Anyways, that kit comes with I believe either 1/4" or 3/8" longer pistons and a same-thickness base plate which of course, fits underneath the cylinders using 2 gaskets instead of one. He installed that and had to get it reprogrammed @ Polaris. It now runs awesome with quite a bit extra horsepower as well, like 180-185hp. I took it for a rip and it pulls really hard! Not nearly like my turbo Nytro of course! LOL!. It is very impressive though..
Wade

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post I also read that the 2010's went to a dual ring piston as opposed to single ring in the 08_09's. Any truth to that helping with the piston rocking in the cylinders?

Sent from my Xoom

They did come with single ring pistons but had an update from the factory to change then out to the dual ring set up. I don think it made any difference regarding the 'slap' of the shorter/loose pistons busting off the skirts, still failed on mine. More of a power/blowby issue I beleive, but like I said I'm no expert.

buzzednbored

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 that has 400 miles on it. Runs good but I'm nervous. Always warm it up but I'm wondering about the fix kit. Any ideas how much this costs installed? I'm not much of a mechanic.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really comes to this for me. I had a 2008 800 with the 2010 update and it ran well for me for 800 miles (no break downs) till I sold it for a 2011. The original 2008-2009 sleds had more hp before the 2010 update and if you what that hp back the only way to get it is with a PMS fix kit original 2008 head and ECM flash. On my 2011 I noticed the same issues with loose fitting pistons. These sleds ran flawless with stock pistons but I wanted more ponies and running a PMS fix kit with HPS head and PCV fuel controller will wake the 2011 up.

You can not run the 2008-2010 sleds at a cruising speed in the mid throttle position. This is where the engine had a lean problem causing engine issues. This is also the reason people are telling you to pin it and ride it like you stole it. Less engines failed IMO when rode like this. I always rode and still do ride with a on off throttle response meaning I never hold the throttle in one position long. If you search there is a wealth of info on the site about this sled and it engine issues. Good Luck and don't worry about it.

The ''FIX'' Performance Motor Sports Ashton, ID (208) 652-7738

Last edited:

Kermit

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but how are the '07-'09 700 Dragons holding up? My nephew is looking for an affordable first mountain sled and they seem very reasonably priced but don't want to recommend something that has too many issues (they've all got a few kinks to hammer out!) thanks.

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
boom.jpg
well here's an 09 doing what dragons do best knock the ch!t out of the piston until something falls apart. 1500 miles 115 psi compression caught this doing the fix kit. Thats the mag side the clutch side is worse , anyone know where to get cylinders honed for cheap.

FLEMINA

Reaction score
I had "the fix kit" installed at Cycle Works West in March/2012. Took it to Mcbride early April. Rode a full day at Renshaw, probably 150 kms. The following day we went to Lucille. Went to fill oil reservoir, it took 2 liters of oil! I don't recall this sled ever using this much oil. I'm also curious as to why it wouldn't rev over 7750 rpms? Pre rebuild I was getting 8150 rpm. I'm thinking I should get the machine checked over, but I'm not about to bring it back to Cycle Works, as this would be the fourth engine they've rebuilt. 1st rebuild being the only 1 covered by warranty. I also purchased and had them install the PC5 fuel controller, and SLP can, as advised by service manager, due to Polaris not being able to get their EFI to work properly on this POS! I really love the handling of this sled and I do not want to part with it. Any replies such as what to look for as far as oil injection adjustments, or who to bring this sled to have it looked at would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Voltage regulators are also an issue. Mine went today. Its about $100 for the update part. The update replaces the defective factory part and has been known to be a major improvement.

I was told that continuing to ride on it will fry the ecu so replace it right away if your gauges start flickering on and off. I rode mine back so hopeully i didnt toast mine.

This is the first issue ive had, and as inconvenient as it was, i still love this sled so much. Its a ton of fun, has a great feel to it. Im going to be running wiseco pistons and a fuel controller so that should take care of any other reliability issues.

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey my buddy has an 09' Dragon(bought it used). It ran like crap the 1st time out. Turns out that Polaris designed that engine with shorter pistons. After so many Km's they start to side-slap and loose compression. My buddy got a kit called: "The FIX" from SLP (Starting-Line-Products). He also got a tuned pipe/silencer. Anyways, that kit comes with I believe either 1/4" or 3/8" longer pistons and a same-thickness base plate which of course, fits underneath the cylinders using 2 gaskets instead of one. He installed that and had to get it reprogrammed @ Polaris. It now runs awesome with quite a bit extra horsepower as well, like 180-185hp. I took it for a rip and it pulls really hard! Not nearly like my turbo Nytro of course! LOL!. It is very impressive though..
Wade

180-185 h/p, what ever!!

FLEMINA

Reaction score
I'm thinking Chris at Parkland motorsports? Anyone have a contact # or address? I have read lots of good posts of his knowledge about these machines :cheers:

mockiam

Reaction score
hope you are a bachlor as my wife would kill me if i was cleaning parts in her kitchen sink ha ha

geelak900

Reaction score
If Parkland is slammed you can PM me for help. I look after 4 Dragons and have them all working fantastic. The last place I would go is the dealer, they seem to know the least about how to really make these Dragons work.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but how are the '07-'09 700 Dragons holding up? My nephew is looking for an affordable first mountain sled and they seem very reasonably priced but don't want to recommend something that has too many issues (they've all got a few kinks to hammer out!) thanks.

From what I hear the 700 is a very reliable strong motor, also my buddy has one an 07 dragon 700 I believe with over 3000 km and has never had an issue, pulls hard for a 700

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Yesterday The 09 dragon bit the bullet , Was at swan hills , where her first trip was when new and it over heated , wasn't 15 km out on the trail yesterday when the motor quit, what got me was the engine we couldn't pull it over , and pulled the plugs and it turned over , weird. limped it back to town on what appeared to be one cylinder running Any way sled has over 2800 kms on , most of it spinning since I gave it to the kid, the motor was done on recall at 800 kms and was ok till yesterday. I was going to go to the dealer but they are booked solid on other stuff , I heard of Chris at Parkland , dropped by yesterday , he did a quick check on the engine and confirmed my fear , that the mag cly was at 50 psi and that was pushing it , and the other at 125, so will drop off after the new year and get him to install the pms/ fix kit and tweak's, But I have to admit for my first mountain sled, other than the paranoia that I got when I first bought it and found out about the issues with the motor, I still feel it has being a great machine , so much that I did buy a second 800 in 2012

turkbogie

Reaction score
hi there im new to this site.i just picked up a 2010 dragon installed the fix kit and found that i was running lean at 5500/6000 rpm .long story short cooked the top end .when i took it to the shop the mech said my mapping is right .now i need a complete top end cylinders and all.just lookin for what pistons to go with and a cure so this does not happen again.its starting to get expensive!!!!!!!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 Dragon that I just put fix kit in. Mountaintek kit with Wiseco's. Running really good after first 100 miles. What mapping does your sled have? '10 flash or '08 flash?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Mnt Tek fix kit and the 08 flash ride with the temp display and if it starts getting warm give it a couple of full throttle burps and the temp will come down.These sleds run strong with these kits and you will like your sled again.

Top Bottom