Dragon Reliabilty....

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
Hi guys wasnt sure if this is the right thread for the dragon 800..anyways new Polaris owner here (2010 Dragon 800 163) 3000k on sled new motor in it, just wondering reliability of the motor (liberty 800) how have they been? My buddies tell me its not very reliable at all..after I buy it..LOL Now I got it cheap and its just a second sled for the tight stuff (other sled is a turbo apex) not very tight stuff friendly...LOL. Any help info would be great or tips!
Thanks. :beer:

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a fix kit out for the 2010 polaris sleds that has new pistons and stuff which is supposed to make it more reliable. The dragons were known for popping top ends, it wasn't a matter of "if" it was "when". But people say this fix kit works so... Too bad polaris didn't have a recall to fix those sleds like skidoo did the first year of the etec.. Believe any etec over 2000 or 2500kms got new pistons

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
​sell it do I need to re post this agaign!!!!
I told Yoggiebear on here if he gets 600 miles on his this year I would by him a 60 oz of rye. He is on his 2nd motor and is going to be on his 3rd engine this year.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep the Dragon, and ride it like you stole it :D
Let it warm up, to about 110F before touching the throttle

All sleds are good and they are all bad.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I told Yoggiebear on here if he gets 600 miles on his this year I would by him a 60 oz of rye. He is on his 2nd motor and is going to be on his 3rd engine this year.

What year is Yoggie's sled?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I heard 2009 and up are not so bad.............mayby just a rumor but I would buy one,but then again Im ridin a 05 RMK....!
catmando!

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
OK you guys are scarring me here lol. I'm on a Polaris forum and I'm getting told to sell it...this is exactly why I didn't even want to bother with the frigin 2-stroke BS. I should edit my first post can someone please reply that owns a 2010 dragon 800 and verify you have had or not had engine trouble with it and also the mileage...!!?? Hows that?
Thx

sleded700

Reaction score
Hi guys wasnt sure if this is the right thread for the dragon 800..anyways new Polaris owner here (2010 Dragon 800 163) 3000k on sled new motor in it, just wondering reliability of the motor (liberty 800) how have they been? My buddies tell me its not very reliable at all..after I buy it..LOL Now I got it cheap and its just a second sled for the tight stuff (other sled is a turbo apex) not very tight stuff friendly...LOL. Any help info would be great or tips!
Thanks. :beer:

I had a 2010 Dragon, and after 4 engines in 1200 miles I was finally able to trade it off, I got the new 2012 Pro RMK and so far so good, there is no fix for the 2010's. I have heard of a few guys using the digital fuel management and having some luck. I know of at least 8 guys with the same problems I had, get rid of it, or put a skidoo engine in it. the chassis is awsome and it rides like a dream.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 10 Dragon, but I don't have the mileage yet. But I have listened to my Poo Guru, and I am not worried about it one bit.
The difference between a 11 and 12 Pro and 10 Dragon 800, is the case's and the 10's have 4 injectors not 2
If you look at the case's from a 12, they have 2 holes for the injectors, but the other 2 are still there from the 10's.
Just not bored out, so yes they do have a different part number. But everything else is pretty much the same.
The 08 and 09 had thin piston skirts, and that was the downfall. Not saying the a 10 is bulletproof, but what 2 stroker is?
JMHO

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 Dragon, but I don't have the mileage yet. But I have listened to my Poo Guru, and I am not worried about it one bit.
The difference between a 11 and 12 Pro and 10 Dragon 800, is the case's and the 10's have 4 injectors not 2
If you look at the case's from a 12, they have 2 holes for the injectors, but the other 2 are still there from the 10's.
Just not bored out, so yes they do have a different part number. But everything else is pretty much the same.
The 08 and 09 had thin piston skirts, and that was the downfall. Not saying the a 10 is bulletproof, but what 2 stroker is?
JMHO

08's and 09's were both thin and not long enough, making them rock back and forth in their until in some cases the bottom half of the piston skirt broke off. The 10's may be better, but not 100% better, just a different block, 10's go down to. They also have sufficient scuffing on the piston, when it slaps around in their it scrapes oil off of the cylinder walls, making it.. Dry in their. Plus in 2009 polaris added a lower comp head, trying to improve reliability,, but it made them lose power! Know a few guys who could drop pennies between their pistons and cylinder walls at rebuild time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
08's and 09's were both thin and not long enough, making them rock back and forth in their until in some cases the bottom half of the piston skirt broke off. The 10's may be better, but not 100% better, just a different block, 10's go down to. They also have sufficient scuffing on the piston, when it slaps around in their it scrapes oil off of the cylinder walls, making it.. Dry in their. Plus in 2009 polaris added a lower comp head, trying to improve reliability,, but it made them lose power! Know a few guys who could drop pennies between their pistons and cylinder walls at rebuild time...

Ya kind of what I'm reading on google now the 2010 and up seem to be better than 2009 and down not sure maybe trade it in on a M8 or take my chances I'm use to Yamaha reliability and not looking forward to sledding season on a lemon..LOl

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya kind of what I'm reading on google now the 2010 and up seem to be better than 2009 and down not sure maybe trade it in on a M8 or take my chances I'm use to Yamaha reliability and not looking forward to sledding season on a lemon..LOl

You could always install the "fix kit" it will make it reliable again, and gain some power back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Mac

Reaction score
I have a 2010 D8 163" as well, completely stock except for a can. Bought it as a demo from the dealership with approx. 1000 miles on it. First ride out, engine cratered 5kms from the truck. Had new top end put in under warranty, and before I got out for another ride I did some research on here. Most common thing I found amongst Dragon owners (the ones who had good things to say) was that they let their sleds warm up to 100-120F before turning the track. I have followed this rule for a whole season, put another 1000 miles on my sled and it hasnt skipped a beat. It kinda sucks watchin your buddies fire up their cats and doos and ride off the trailer/truck and go rippin right away but I like my D8 and the warm up time is worth the wait.

Top Bottom