Dragon Reliabilty....

sled78

Reaction score
I have a 2010 RMK 800 144 over 1000 miles on it and I ride it like I stole it...everything stock...I do let it warm up to about 100 F though, regular maintenance every year...hasn't skipped a beat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08-10 are pretty much the same as far as reliability goes. 2010 cylinders are a little better as they are thicker. I have never had an issue with the ones I have owned. I am religious as far as letting it warm up to 120. I won't even unload it, unless I push it. Saying that i would spend the 600 bucks on the fix kit before you even ride it and turn it into a reliable sled that hauls a**.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to go to the D8 coming off my Switch, but it just seemed like a big gamble. They seem like a good sled, if you have those rare non exploding ones. I went to a 10 RMK 6 for the reliability issues of the 800, and am really happy with it. Hope you have good luck with your Dragon though!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 800 with the fix kit is the way to go. $600 is a cheap investment for reliability. I don't have a ton of mile on mine yet, but runs way better and pulls way harder than it did with the sh*t OEM pistons.. If you got the sled cheap go and buy the "fix kit" for and you'll love it.

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
Well it has a new engine in it I guess I should investigate what pistons went back in Backus racing did it so I think they would know to put upgraded parts back in!? Or is it after market kit and what's all in the kit?
Thks

Sent from my Xoom

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for a spacer under the cyl if it has one it has the fix kit. The spacer is for the longer pistons to help with the rocking in the bore.

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com
Hi guys thanks for everyone's input think I will just pin it and hope for the best..it does have the 4 year warranty anyway good till 2013 as well as a new motor! :) Just to clear everyone up on the 'fix it kit' one doesn't exist at least an official kit..I phoned backus racing today as well as Polaris directly and although the 'fix it kits' are all over eBay for as little as $380 with wiseco pistons..which I almost ordered..lol According to polaris they would have recognized a problem and did a recall..big surprise there! I spoke with 2 different polaris dealers today and both said they have 'alot' of happy owners on 2010 dragons! They also went on to say notice how many people jump on the forums when there is a bad issue but not so much when its going good!!

Last edited:

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for everyone's input think I will just pin it and hope for the best..it does have the 4 year warranty anyway good till 2013 as well as a new motor! :) Just to clear everyone up on the 'fix it kit' one doesn't exist I phoned backus racing today as well as Polaris directly and although the 'fix it kits' are all over eBay for as little as $380 with wiseco pistons..which I almost ordered..lol According to polaris they would have recognized a problem and did a recall..big surprise there! I spoke with 2 different polaris dealers today and both said they have 'alot' of happy owners on 2010 dragons! They also went on to say notice how many people jump on the forums when there is a bad issue but not so much when its going good!!

Their is a "fix kit" it's aftermarket. Polaris did the recalls and people still had issues with the motors, not as frequent but still issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudvayne

Reaction score
Website
www.rickheddle.com

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the kit everyone is referring to, and is the reason because the connecting rods are a little short rocking the pistons in the cylinders just trying to figure why the spacer!? Think I read that somewhere! Are all the 08-2012 800's the same bore and stroke? Not sure if I can post links!

POLARIS SNOWMOBILE Dragon Pro RMK Fix Kit Namura Racing Pistons 800 2008-12 | eBay
That one on ebay is a copy of mountaintek's fix kit for the 800's.PMS Polaris in the US is there distributor of the kit,Chrisco on this site sells them.The kit has 2 wiscoe pistons that are 1/4 in taller and fit the bore better.They are longer to help stop the rocking in the bore from the shorter rod and the spacer is to keep the stock port timing.The kit comes with longer cyl bolts and dowels and a base gasket.This kit really helps the 800 to live longer.They run stronger and quieter and you pic up about 5hp due to the higher compression from the tighter clearances from the wiscoe's.I have this in my 09 dragon with the original 08 Polaris mapping slp pipe and it pulls hard.It's a must do if you're out of warranty and keeping the sled for awhile.Hope this helps you.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That one on ebay is a copy of mountaintek's fix kit for the 800's.PMS Polaris in the US is there distributor of the kit,Chrisco on this site sells them.The kit has 2 wiscoe pistons that are 1/4 in taller and fit the bore better.They are longer to help stop the rocking in the bore from the shorter rod and the spacer is to keep the stock port timing.The kit comes with longer cyl bolts and dowels and a base gasket.This kit really helps the 800 to live longer.They run stronger and quieter and you pic up about 5hp due to the higher compression from the tighter clearances from the wiscoe's.I have this in my 09 dragon with the original 08 Polaris mapping slp pipe and it pulls hard.It's a must do if you're out of warranty and keeping the sled for awhile.Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the explanation of a "fix it kit" :beer: :beer: :D

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got warranty just add oil to your gas,don't move it till it reaches 110 degrees and ride with your temp guage on the display.If it gets hot give it a few shots of throttle till the temp comes down.Ride it like ya stole it and let Polaris fix it!!!!

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a good sled. Funny how many people come from other forums to slam a product that they likely have never owned but they apparantly knew someone else who had problems.

Get somrthing to control your fueling and monitor it and that should give you peace of mind. As for 600km in a season, i have 8 days in mcbride plus a few weekend trips planned for this season. I will let you know how it goes. I have never had any issues with my sled, butive towed my buddies.kingcat out almost ever time weve ridden together.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
installed a couple fix kits in 09 iguanas and was impressed with the product. units ran way smoother and sounded crisp on the throttle. not a huge wiseco fan but had the same sleds in for preseason main. this fall and compression is good and pistons look good on exh and int sides. the guys are good for warmup and throw a blurp of oil in their fresh fuel. i have recently received some direct replacement pistons from Kelsey at RK teck and ordered pistons and head for my wife's 13 pro. the pistons and head should be here this coming week. the direct replacement pistons i have got at work are made by Wossner out of germany and are almost as pretty as the pistons i ran in my 1/4 mile alcohol race car. looking forward to trying this product as well.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm any kind of mechanical wizard, but every sled has some issues. I rode my '09 with zero issues up to 1800 miles. Like mentioned, warming up before you start riding I think helped alot, (if you sit for 10 mins or so, watch the coolant temp when you fire it up, motor still hot and coolant from tunnel is cold=thermal shock), I beleive there is an aftermarket coolant bypass kit which might help with that issue.
Also another major issue causing some failures I believe can be due to the 4 inj set up, there is a lean spot between the inj going from the lower inj to the upper inj. If that makes sense, hence using a Fuel controller to fatten up the mid range. I never had issues with this I beleive as it was more or less idling/low rpm or full throttle.
Piston skirts are another issue, this is what busted off and blew holes in my crankcase/ injectors/ reeds/jugs etc etc. So now it has the FIX kit bought from Chrisco at Parkland in St Plain, will see what happens this season, unless someone wants to buy it and let me know how it works out!
Bring on the pow!

Top Bottom