downward slide Bogger's thread?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Every Internet service provider provides each user with an independant address. IP address. Snow and mud can block willys address which essentially stops him from creating a new username on any computer in his home if using a router. Many ways around it but like plio said he wouldn't know lol. But nothin stoping him from creating a username at work or at a friends. But he probly doesn't have either of those

In my younger days re-routed my IP a time or 2, or had to mask it once or twice

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Actually ip addresses can have multiple users attached..... We once tried to ban an ip address(known spammer) years ago and ended up locking out quite a few regular s&m users ;).... So banning an ip address, like willy's ;), might lock out a few other members.... It's almost like an "area code" for phones, just not as large an area.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Actually ip addresses can have multiple users attached..... We once tried to ban an ip address(known spammer) years ago and ended up locking out quite a few regular s&m users ;).... So banning an ip address, like willy's ;), might lock out a few other members.... It's almost like an "area code" for phones, just not as large an area.

So, it is like maxwell said, "every modem has an IP address" and the people who register from that modem have the same address. I would be the chit disturber and my better half would be the nice person. Blocking the IP address, blocks us both!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's a different story. Some ISP will service there clients almost like a wireless router. Terrible concept but some rural areas are setup like that. Or if there is a glitch in the isp system shelling out same ip addresses. this does happen.Any urban wired provider will have separate addresses. Blocking ip addresses doesn't last forever. If you power off your router and reconnect to the ISP sometimes they will assign you a new IP address. But not always

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, it is like maxwell said, "every modem has an IP address" and the people who register from that modem have the same address. I would be the chit disturber and my better half would be the nice person. Blocking the IP address, blocks us both!

Correct. There is an address for your modem, then each computer has a superset local network IP address. Unfortunately they are blocking the modem address which locks out everyone on that local network.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes you would be, you are, and disturbed definitely. Yes! Bev is very nice, must be an angel to put up with ya for all these years.

oh! by the way don't change a thing, seems to be working well
icon10.gif

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
If you are through a provider in a larger city each line into the house will give a separate ip, if you have a modem on a line all comps on that modem have the same ip.....

I rural areas if you are on wireless. That wireless provider will buy his service off of another provider. Their tower is basically a large router transmitting service to who ever buys from them giving all those who get their service from that secondary wireless provider the same ip

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

incorrect, can be a much larger area! :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Correct. There is an address for your modem, then each computer has a superset local network IP address. Unfortunately they are blocking the modem address which locks out everyone on that local network.

close! Plio is correct in his explanation. Cell phones & other mobile devices on cellular networks are even worse! If I browse on my Telus cell phone, I am using hte same IP as HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of other Telus Cell Phones. You will always have a local IP address on your device but as it goes out to the world it become under one for your home then cabinet then provider and so on.

If you are ever curious and want to see this in action, if running windows open a Command Prompt (Start, Run, Cmd, enter) then type in tracert www.snowandmud.com and look at all the IP hops you go across just to get to snowandmud :)

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
close! Plio is correct in his explanation. Cell phones & other mobile devices on cellular networks are even worse! If I browse on my Telus cell phone, I am using hte same IP as HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of other Telus Cell Phones. You will always have a local IP address on your device but as it goes out to the world it become under one for your home then cabinet then provider and so on.

If you are ever curious and want to see this in action, if running windows open a Command Prompt (Start, Run, Cmd, enter) then type in tracert www.snowandmud.com and look at all the IP hops you go across just to get to snowandmud :)

Wow that's crazy! Just tried it!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nerd. :d

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, things I've never wondered about and never wanted to know for $1000 Alex.

I kinda like knowing it. Brings some of those TV dramas into perspective. You know the ones. Where they track you down to your bedroom instantly just by back tracing your IP address, then turn on your webcam without you knowing it.....and there you are naked in a bean bag chair eating Cheatos! :suspicious:

Wait....what were we taking about? :confused:

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kinda like knowing it. Brings some of those TV dramas into perspective. You know the ones. Where they track you down to your bedroom instantly just by back tracing your IP address, then turn on your webcam without you knowing it.....and there you are naked in a bean bag chair eating Cheatos! :suspicious:

exact reason i dont have a web cam... no one wants to see that

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How did you know I have a bean bag chair? Time to put a sticker on my web cam.

Top Bottom