Down side to 3" lug

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any big disadvantage to a 163 3" to a 163 2.5" going from 2 to 2.5 didn't see any problems beside the tench it dug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find getting them to spin requires more effort for more technical riding. Off camber, on edge, wanting to button hook or whatever you want to call it, the 3" hooks up, where a shorter lug track can spin and allow you to position the sled however you wish.

I am a light guy though. Heavier riders may not notice as much as there is more leverage and so on.

sent from a top secret location

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Dan says they hook up really well and this is often an advantage but they definitely want to push the sled more than set themselves when trying to sidehill. They shine in the deep snow but on marginal snow they will give some up to the 2.5". I think a 3" until about mid March would be the ticket then swap back to the 2.5".

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Dan says they hook up really well and this is often an advantage but they definitely want to push the sled more than set themselves when trying to sidehill. They shine in the deep snow but on marginal snow they will give some up to the 2.5". I think a 3" until about mid March would be the ticket then swap back to the 2.5".

that sounds like alot of work you must like wrenching more than me LOL

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sounds like alot of work you must like wrenching more than me LOL
LOL there's a reason my 3" is sitting on a shelf and not in my XM. I want to try it but I'm 75% sure I will prefer the 2.5 flex edge.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like everything a 3 inch has it's place but not best at everything.
The 2.5 works pretty dam good all around .
3 inch sitting on shelf as well as tried it and the 2.5 is a better choice. At least in the 174.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3" is harder to turn, they hook up so well and want to just go forward....2.5 is a better all around mountain track IMO :)

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it more important to improve traction when the snow is deep? 3'' will work good for that. the 2.5 works better than the 3 on the same days where a 154, 146 works better than a 163. Priorities.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it more important to improve traction when the snow is deep? 3'' will work good for that. the 2.5 works better than the 3 on the same days where a 154, 146 works better than a 163. Priorities.

what days are those? seems like majority of my riding days the last couple years have been deep.......my priority is always deep lol

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what days are those? seems like majority of my riding days the last couple years have been deep.......my priority is always deep lol
I agree. No need to worry about the days when a lesser track works better.
As for the 3'' hooking up too much. Nope still spins. Doesn't just want to move forward. The sled will change directions exactly the same as the 2.5. Doesn't hook up 100% unless we are talking about spring conditions here. We aren't though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. No need to worry about the days when a lesser track works better.
As for the 3'' hooking up too much. Nope still spins. Doesn't just want to move forward. The sled will change directions exactly the same as the 2.5. Doesn't hook up 100% unless we are talking about spring conditions here. We aren't though.

i was gona say i just had 2 identical sleds out this weekend. one with factory track and one with 3" track. the 3" machine functions exactly like the 2.5. the difference being it most forward faster because of the extra traction. its a good thing and just takes a slight adjustment to your riding style. other than that there is no pushing straight forward like everyone is talking about. maybe on an old machine certainly not on an XM

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A major downside is cooling and track overheating. Scratchers are a must but if there is too much trail to get to the riding areas, the track/lugs can overheat causing de-lamination and lugs ripping off. Just don't see this with the 2.5" tracks.

No doubt the 3" will be better in deep snow, but there just isn't enough of those days (for me) to justify the 3" track. Like many of us who travel hours to get to the riding areas, I need to plan/book my trips in advance. This means that in a given year, the great days (snow and visibility) can be few and far between. This year was a great example with very little new snow in Revy, Golden, Valemount etc for a big part of the season.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said only down side to the 3 inch I seen was it delaminating paddles, and at times very short slider life. As in like 60 km once. Pretty much need ski mounted scratchers.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does the 3" track bring down the "fun factor" much? Still debating whether to get the T3 or not. I have no doubt it will go more places than a 2.5, but almost thinking that might take some fun out of it.

Has anyone besides pfi572 put one on and then taken it back off?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never found being able to push yourself or your sled farther boring yet. Might just be me though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fun factor increases. This is not like strapping an extra 50hp on. It's just a nice addition to the snowmobile to assist in the deep snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does the 3" track bring down the "fun factor" much? Still debating whether to get the T3 or not. I have no doubt it will go more places than a 2.5, but almost thinking that might take some fun out of it.

Has anyone besides pfi572 put one on and then taken it back off?

Your regular riding areas that you commonly climb will become easier... You will conquer them in deeper snow. But if you utilize the 3" and push your own skills you will find new challenges and potentially new areas. With this sometimes more risk is involved as the challenge becomes more difficult

css

Reaction score
I am actually going back to the 2.5 for next year, for those few DEEP days where the 3" really shines I might as well have the 2.5 on. More track speed, machine will run way cooler less chance of track failures on the trail rides up. Don't get me wrong the 3" works great if you ride windshield deep pow all the time but the 2.5 works great in all conditions. JMO

Top Bottom