Doo 850 or polaris axys

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a Cat Guy jump on my 174 Axys this Past weekend in the Deep Fernie Snow. It was the second day out with the AXYS and only 25 miles on it. His Reaction and Statement was "This is Like Cheating"
He rides a 16 M8 162 3". Other than that all I can say is its the best sled I have had so far. Not sure if the 155 will ever get out of the Trailer!!
I have next to Zero seat time on a Doo so cant comment on them.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well imo both sleds have there good and bad,different snow conditions can make 1 sled or another sled look good.but imo the biggest factor is the rider,some guys can make a sled perform where a different rider in the same conditions will make that sled look awful. when purchasing a sled and its capabilities a person needs to think which sled is better for their riding style,locations,average snow conditions etc. when comparing sled it should be stock sled to stock sled,not one sled stock and the other being fine tuned and after market parts. i ride a doo,along with others in our group. some guys can take a doo and make it do things others cannot make it do.yes there is a axys in our group,will it out do the doo? the axys will out do some of the riders on doos but not all of the doos.so yes rider is a major factor. your sled is like a vehicle they all have good and bad,its what feels comfortable to you. a dealer in your area can also be a major factor to which sled a person purchases

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Sigh
If someone is willing to put in the wrench time to get the most out of there sled and someone doesn't spend the time on setting up the suspension, clutching, etc, if it's done right Why wouldn't it preform better that a stocker??

Does the 165 outclimb a 174 as advertised. Maybe stock for stock, but it was not my experience In 4.5ft of pow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill get butchered for this too but a 165 850 wont outclimb a 174 in straight pull.... KBYE

Correction... A 165 850 wont outclimb a 174 in deep snow. Hero snow would be a different story.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I would like to try the axys, maybe i can go for a ride on one in the near future. Can't compare without seat time. This new doo is totally different than my previous T3, the get up and go power is nice, and great in the trees.
I find i'm easily adaptable on a skidoo. I've tried a new cat and a 13 Polaris not anything newer so i can't compare but i also think it's how you feel on a machine.
I know the can doesn't make a real difference just the noise is more and it drops about 3 lbs off the sled, but just the rumbling sound makes it feel better. just my 2cents.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will the banter ever end? I hope not... I love it!!!!! Its part of what makes sledding so much FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 2014 800 pro and was out the other day with 6 new 850's. I was impressed by them. I am a polaris guy and plan to stay one but seeing those 850's run in the deep powder was good.

Jwaldner93

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back guys this has been great, at this point I am leaning towards the axys as we do have a local dealer in town that is pretty good to deal with, but cat coming out with these new 18's is catching my attention especially cause the hardest part of switching to a new brand is having to leave my cat dealership they have been awesome to me. Graham at house of thunder is a good guy to deal with.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back guys this has been great, at this point I am leaning towards the axys as we do have a local dealer in town that is pretty good to deal with, but cat coming out with these new 18's is catching my attention especially cause the hardest part of switching to a new brand is having to leave my cat dealership they have been awesome to me. Graham at house of thunder is a good guy to deal with.

If your car dealer is good you should get the new 800 cat.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I ride an Axys would recommend it to anyone, very good sled. However I will say that the 2018 Cat is the first Cat I've considered equal to the competition since 2012.

aderry

Reaction score

Grahams got the 18 out in golden right now if you wanted to try it.

Jgibos

Reaction score
Grahams got the 18 out in golden right now if you wanted to try it.

I ride a doo and buddy rides an axys and if you ride aggresive they both are really hard on belts. I had a 2016 m8000 last year. Had over 900 miles on my belt. I changed it just because. This year im riding a 2017 ski doo 850 and i can't get more the 450kms to a belt before it blows

Jwaldner93

Reaction score
I ride a doo and buddy rides an axys and if you ride aggresive they both are really hard on belts. I had a 2016 m8000 last year. Had over 900 miles on my belt. I changed it just because. This year im riding a 2017 ski doo 850 and i can't get more the 450kms to a belt before it blows
damn that sounds expensive I went 1800km before i changed mine on my 13 m8 and it still probably could of went I little longer.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got some seat time on a 850 this weekend and have to say I was impressed. I went from it to a stock Axys back my turbo'd Axys. This is the first Doo I've ridden that the handling didn't seem completely foreign, the power is great and the throttle response is awesome. As for belt life this 850 ate a belt at 300km and has been good since. If I had rode my turbo'd Axys the way I rode the 850 I would have wrecked a belt. Overall all (IMO), in stock form the winner of the day was the 850 and my decision on which one will be in my garage next is going to come down to the dealership not the sled.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that was a entertaining thread to read !! Bought a 850 hopefully it serves me well !

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went axys last March for 800 miles. 2 belts. Got my ass kicked in all open hillmclimbs. In the trees it was awesome for short steep pulls. It was like a m7 on big hills. Just didn't have it. 2014 163 2.5 xm against my 163 3" axys was dead even. M8000's and 850 doos would be doing 20 mph where my sled turn out mark was. I'm back on doo this season. 2018 850 in the garage now. I really got used to the axys and loved it. But it doesn't have the same power as the competition. As far as the new cat. They're is 3 guys who bought early release 2018 mountain cats last feb. they kick ass in the deep. More ground speed than the 850 in pow. We were all impressed. I actually snow checked a doo and cat. I'm keeping the doo. The guys I ride with all have black/green mountain cats. I wanted to be different than them. Blue summit for me.

Last edited:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a day on the 850 last year and half hour on an axys I personally ride a sidewinder. I could not wait to give the Axys back and get on my own sled yet I really liked the 850. If I was to go two stroke 850 would get my cash they seem to have that extra power you want and are really well balanced and easy to throw around the doos also get up on the snow very well. If they fix those belt bulkhead and other issues that were had last year that machine will be a huge seller.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with the sleds getting way better, the turbo market is a hard game to get into. Yes there will always be turbo guys, but I'm sure there were more and now happy with what you can get now.....I'm doo all the way but hear good things about the cat....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I rode the 850 just the 800, but I found the handle bars on the axys to be really awkward. It seemed to have great traction, but not as easy to lay over as skidoo is.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I rode the 850 just the 800, but I found the handle bars on the axys to be really awkward. It seemed to have great traction, but not as easy to lay over as skidoo is.

Always been a doo owner, but i loved riding my buddies 3" axys. However, i did find the handlebars really awkward as well. But, i am going to ride every sled this winter before i buy a new one.

• Recommends
Reactions: Dmf
Top Bottom