Doo 850 or polaris axys

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2011 etec and I'm by no means brand loyal. Does Polaris have a engine compatible to the etec? That ad for cycle works has me very interested........and then the add for T3 pops up and that has me interested lol. Is the 174 more for climbing?

This thread is about the 850 and the axys.
For your dollar the T3 and a 16 axys are a beter deal and a piped axys is about the same as an 800etec.

But that is not what this thread is about.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I plan on buying a new sled soon I currently ride arctic cat. Hopefully not start a forum war here lol but I just can't decide Polaris axys or the new doo 850. I guess I'm asking is for opinions, problems the people have had with there sled, pros cons. I like trees and boondocking but also love a good pull as well.

Both are good sleds and both have their pros and cons. IMO if you have the chance to ride them both, I encourage you to do so, and get a feel for what you feel the most comfortable on.

Second if you do decide on a new brand chose a dealer that will support you. IMO the dealer is the most important piece of support. If my dealer changed brands of sleds I guarantee you I'd be on a differant brand with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are good sleds and both have their pros and cons. IMO if you have the chance to ride them both, I encourage you to do so, and get a feel for what you feel the most comfortable on.

Second if you do decide on a new brand chose a dealer that will support you. IMO the dealer is the most important piece of support. If my dealer changed brands of sleds I guarantee you I'd be on a differant brand with them.

Common sense isn't welcome here...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
My my my aren't we mistaken.
It'actually Doo&Mud.
And when long term doo riders are bashing their own sled under their azz you KNOW there are issues.
And how is that warranty coverage.
ROFLMFAO

Boom!!!!
Take the Axys unless pockets super deep.

Im

Eh.... wut? lol.
Someone is going to have to explain why this is making this gentleman roll on his floor laughing his a#% off. I dont get it.
I haven't had any warranty issues? Boom? Boom what.... Boom like your engine? Someone give me a fire extinguisher this guy just lit me up.... I think.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did someone say Boom?? IMG_1017.JPG

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is about the 850 and the axys.
For your dollar the T3 and a 16 axys are a beter deal and a piped axys is about the same as an 800etec.

But that is not what this thread is about.

Well Randy I can tell you for certain that an Axys with the Mountain Magic pipe/clutching kit Ken has put together is WAY more than any 800 Etec wants to deal with. We run ours with 850's and trade back and forth. The new 850 engine has nothing on my l'il 800. Everyone always talks power; engine power is great, but clutching is what gets it to the ground. I'm not a die hard Poo rider by any means; last one I had was a 2003 Vertical Escape. I had a hard time deciding between the Doo or Poo this fall. I can now say that the Doo 850 makes different power than my Axys. The Doo feels more "jumpy" on the bottom end (clutching); which gives the impression of power, where as my sled feels like it comes on smoother (clutching); which some people perceive as flat. But line em up and see for yourself. Now stock to stock I don't know, as I have never rode either the Axys or 850 stock. Darren's 850 is running a Polaris primary and a Team secondary and I am running the Mountain Magic kit in my Axys.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Randy I can tell you for certain that an Axys with the Mountain Magic pipe/clutching kit Ken has put together is WAY more than any 800 Etec wants to deal with. We run ours with 850's and trade back and forth. The new 850 engine has nothing on my l'il 800. Everyone always talks power; engine power is great, but clutching is what gets it to the ground. I'm not a die hard Poo rider by any means; last one I had was a 2003 Vertical Escape. I had a hard time deciding between the Doo or Poo this fall. I can now say that the Doo 850 makes different power than my Axys. The Doo feels more "jumpy" on the bottom end (clutching); which gives the impression of power, where as my sled feels like it comes on smoother (clutching); which some people perceive as flat. But line em up and see for yourself. Now stock to stock I don't know, as I have never rode either the Axys or 850 stock. Darren's 850 is running a Polaris primary and a Team secondary and I am running the Mountain Magic kit in my Axys.
ken certainly knows what he is doing

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

so why wouldnt he want to get a 850 and do some clutching on that if the clutching makes all the difference (which i do agree that there is definently some power being missed out on with either sled ) but why not start with the 850 and dial it in

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so why wouldnt he want to get a 850 and do some clutching on that if the clutching makes all the difference (which i do agree that there is definently some power being missed out on with either sled ) but why not start with the 850 and dial it in

If you are talking about Ken at Mountain Magic he has his own 850 as well as an Axys and rides them both. I believe the 850 is getting boost. Snowseeker's 850 that I ride with, and have ridden had the clutches swapped and tuned by Ken. It works really well. I wouldn't say one is better than the other; they just feel very different in terms of power delivery when we swap back and forth. After coming off two ProClimbs I would love to try a Mountain Cat too. I just like them all I guess.

Last edited:

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it just seemed like you were implying to the OP that he should get a polaris and clucth it so that it keeps up with 850 i was just saying why not get the 850 and do some cluching to get it where he wants .... someday i want to try them all back to back to commpare for myself (havent seen an 850, axys and mountain cat in the same group yet to compare)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

"The new 850 engine has nothing on my l'il 800."..................................................wut?
Does that pipe have a built in turbo?

Theres a new axys we took on trade for an 850 sitting here.... I keep getting it confused with with Doo 800 HO from like ten years ago everytime we start it.
I better go get a clutch kit and a pipe like RIGHT now! If I have to buy a sled and throw another G or two at it to make it NOT a turd im going to be sitting back and reconsidering my life choices.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol........just the kind of dealer I would run to. You are right; if it isn't made by BRP it is a turd. Enjoy your life in your bubble. Did I say anywhere that an Axys is better than 850?? No; I gave the OP information that we saw from an unbias perspective. That an Axys can compete with the 850. Beat it?? Don't know, don't care. I don't get paid by either company to say one is better than the other. How bout you??? I don't care what someone buys; makes no difference to me. I'll ride whatever brand I choose to ride. Maybe another Doo someday, maybe another Cat, maybe another Poo. Brand bashing is not something I do, if you can't admit that other brands can actually work well too then so be it. But talking down to potential customers on the internet is generally not good business practice. Just sayin...;)

Last edited:

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
How about this?

is it too much to ask for a manufacture that builds a sled that has zero issues in terms of durability to the chassis, engine and clutching. Along with not having to purchase a ton of aftermarket accessories to obtain optimal performance?

It has gotten to the point that in the past several machines I have owned, I have had to put a $hyte ton of cash to make the sled run properly...

Polaris Pro RMK: Fix kit, re-enforced cylinders, etc....

Ski Doo XP: Ditching the ported track for one that doesn't blow apart when riding over a small tree, stupid secondary clutch set up, questionable crank, highly suseptible chassis components to damage (S and E modules), lousy running board design, poor location of steering post, awful factory skis... etc..

Hey I get it, machine evolves as we move forwar. However, it seems that a lot of common reoccuring problems that should have been remidied on newer iron, oddly keeps occurring...

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Shedder, are you comparing you riding beside Snowseeker on two different sleds and comparing there performance. Darren is twice your size and weight as well don't forget to include that in your final conclusions.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have absolutely no issues with my 850 and ride the crap out of it. 700 km, original belt. I haven't ridden an axys so i can't comment there. These new sleds are all pretty decent as they have to be to keep competitive in today's market

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Lol........just the kind of dealer I would run to. You are right; if it isn't made by BRP it is a turd. Enjoy your life in your bubble. Did I say anywhere that an Axys is better than 850?? No; I gave the OP information that we saw from an unbias perspective. That an Axys can compete with the 850. Beat it?? Don't know, don't care. I don't get paid by either company to say one is better than the other. How bout you??? I don't care what someone buys; makes no difference to me. I'll ride whatever brand I choose to ride. Maybe another Doo someday, maybe another Cat, maybe another Poo. Brand bashing is not something I do, if you can't admit that other brands can actually work well too then so be it. But talking down to potential customers on the internet is generally not good business practice. Just sayin...;)

You actually didnt say an Axy's is better than an 850.. You said the 850 doesnt stand a chance against one. "The new 850 engine has nothing on my l'il 800."
If you took that as talking down to you thats not my problem. And Telling people something is complete BS IS good business practice. Thanks fro the lesson though but I already knew after reading your post you clearly know more about snowmobiles than I do. Bias or Non Bias... Polaris makes a good sled... But If you can honestly sit there and say they are anywhere CLOSE in terms of power than you havent been out on them both. SO to say your 800 with a pipe and a clutch is walking all over an 850? Who wants people sitting here reading a bunch of garbage like that? If ANYTHING its going to be close! the new 850 has nothing on my 800............MMMMMMK.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
How about this?

is it too much to ask for a manufacture that builds a sled that has zero issues in terms of durability to the chassis, engine and clutching. Along with not having to purchase a ton of aftermarket accessories to obtain optimal performance?

It has gotten to the point that in the past several machines I have owned, I have had to put a $hyte ton of cash to make the sled run properly...

Polaris Pro RMK: Fix kit, re-enforced cylinders, etc....

Ski Doo XP: Ditching the ported track for one that doesn't blow apart when riding over a small tree, stupid secondary clutch set up, questionable crank, highly suseptible chassis components to damage (S and E modules), lousy running board design, poor location of steering post, awful factory skis... etc..

Hey I get it, machine evolves as we move forwar. However, it seems that a lot of common reoccuring problems that should have been remidied on newer iron, oddly keeps occurring...

In all reality That polaris problem has been solved for a long time, As well as the XP.. Thats two chassis ago now... They havent used that track for like 7 years. I see what you are saying but truth is they BOTH have come a long way since either of those issues. Polaris hasn't had any major engine issues in a while and ski doos last chassis went off really well. No offense but the past several machines you have owned were VERY outdated technology.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You actually didnt say an Axy's is better than an 850.. You said the 850 doesnt stand a chance against one. "The new 850 engine has nothing on my l'il 800."
If you took that as talking down to you thats not my problem. And Telling people something is complete BS IS good business practice. Thanks fro the lesson though but I already knew after reading your post you clearly know more about snowmobiles than I do. Bias or Non Bias... Polaris makes a good sled... But If you can honestly sit there and say they are anywhere CLOSE in terms of power than you havent been out on them both. SO to say your 800 with a pipe and a clutch is walking all over an 850? Who wants people sitting here reading a bunch of garbage like that? If ANYTHING its going to be close! the new 850 has nothing on my 800............MMMMMMK.

I said it has nothing on it....as in they are pretty much equal. Walking all over it....really?? Where does it say that?? If it makes you feel better I do think the 850 will likely out climb an Axys in my opinion. Don't know for sure and don't really care. I just go on sled trips for the fun and laughs, not to see who's balls hang the lowest. I also said I haven't seen stock to stock... Neither of our sleds are stock. How come when I rode Doo I could still admit that other sleds worked good too? Now it seems you Doo guys are all weird and see thru yellow glasses or something. And Ron; I'm pretty sure Darren is not twice my size. That would put him at about 450 lbs. This is way off topic. Sorry everyone...my apologies for starting all this.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sigh
If someone is willing to put in the wrench time to get the most out of there sled and someone doesn't spend the time on setting up the suspension, clutching, etc, if it's done right Why wouldn't it preform better that a stocker??

Does the 165 outclimb a 174 as advertised. Maybe stock for stock, but it was not my experience In 4.5ft of pow.

Top Bottom