Don't be this guy

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem with guys riding older sleds and sledding on a budget. great to see people getting out and enjoying the sport regardless of income. Its actually quite rediculas what some of us spend. There is an element of danger regardless of what your riding but That being said there is no comparison to the exposure to danger with the newer and modded sleds. You are covering more ground in a day and spending more time on fresh slopes. I know many on here will disagree but it is the reality.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're on a roll....

there are safe slopes out there, slopes less than 25 degrees very rarely slide if at all.

Been more than one guy smoked sitting in the middle of a lake eating lunch.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with RGM advertising the new product and its benefits, kudos to him. I think that is all good especialy for those in the market of getting a new beacon or planning to upgrade.
The issue i have is how he went about it in his original post. Its BS to down grade, put down or otherwise degrade people for their vehicle they drive, sled they ride or in this case gear they wear. I find little hummor in it, untill you walk in someone elses shoes you should have NO opinion.

I'm finding the sledding community getting very bad for that, you can even see it in alot of the comments on this thread.
There are people out there living on fixed budgets but still would enjoy getting out sledding like anybody else and why should they not.

I've been sledding since the mid 70s buying my first sled in 1976, never missed a year and pretty much experience every thing you could experience on sleds, inclueding being buried in an avy...2 times.
I'm a BC certified backcountry guide.....yes with a liecence and an active member of SARs since 1999. There are alot of people on this forum that know me quite well and i've guided.
So before making assumption on things and thinking your better because you sport the best and greatest and telling people your not welcome to ride because your wearing outdated avy gear. Here is a fact to put in your hat and ponder upon.
Well over 80% of SARs sled rescues in BC have been swelled headed morons wearing the latest and greatest........hhhmmmm figure that one out????

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be just me, but I dont see anywhere here where he says if you have old gear that you are not welcome in the back country. I don't see him saying that the old gear doesn't work.
He does say that the technology is very old and that the new gear works faster
Arguably he says you will be twice as fast with the new vs the old, no matter how good you are. As adults, we know that there are going to be people with exceptional skill with any equipment they are experienced with )
He also doesn't say that you should sell grandma's silverware to buy one of his units either.
The bottom line is,

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, don't. If you feel that you don't need it, no one can make you.

I know, he looks like he just had an awesome day sledding. But look closer, what's that beacon he wearing. Yeah some of you probably weren't even born when these came out. Yes they were state of the art when they did come out but times change. So unless you're still riding an Elan 250 or using one of those bricks for a cell phone it time to retire the old analog beacons and even the digital 2 antenna beacons. I here guys say they can still find a signal in under 5 minutes with the old stuff but no matter how good you are with the old stuff you will be twice as fast with the new stuff. I see to many guys doing beacon practise wandering around totally lost. Don't be that guy.

I have an awesome deal for the new Pieps DSP sport click here for details.

https://www.snowandmud.com/avalanche-awareness-243/new-pieps-dsp-sport-will-stock-86124.html

[/QUOTE]

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be just me, but I dont see anywhere here where he says if you have old gear that you are not welcome in the back country. I don't see him saying that the old gear doesn't work.
Arguably he says you will be twice as fast with the new vs the old, no matter how good you are. As adults, we know that there are going to be people with exceptional skill with any equipment they are experienced with )
He also doesn't say that you should sell grandma's silverware to buy one of his units either.
The bottom line is,

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, don't. If you feel that you don't need it, no one can make you.

I know, he looks like he just had an awesome day sledding. But look closer, what's that beacon he wearing. Yeah some of you probably weren't even born when these came out. Yes they were state of the art when they did come out but times change. So unless you're still riding an Elan 250 or using one of those bricks for a cell phone it time to retire the old analog beacons and even the digital 2 antenna beacons. I here guys say they can still find a signal in under 5 minutes with the old stuff but no matter how good you are with the old stuff you will be twice as fast with the new stuff. I see to many guys doing beacon practise wandering around totally lost. Don't be that guy.

https://www.snowandmud.com/avalanche-awareness-243/new-pieps-dsp-sport-will-stock-86124.html

[/QUOTE]
He doesnt say that but if you read the entire thread others do.
Like i said kudos to him for advertising the new beacon but the way it came accross to me and i'm sure to others that might just be that guy he implies.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is,

[/QUOTE]

title of the thread is.... don't be this guy.... kinda implies the guy is not cool cause he doesn't have new gear.

trailblazer

Reaction score
Surprised and shocked at the simple minded attitude of people,uninformed on the frequency interference of anolog beacons.There's a reason they're deemed obsolite by all clubs,associations,AMGA,Heli/cat outfits and professional organizations.Not all sledding related either,skiiers that can only afford to spend a thousand bucks for their gear, have $400 beacons.

Get your heads out of your a#& and get with the frickin' program.If pulling your bud out as fast as possible in the case of an avi isn't your highest priority... Then you're a dickhead. A friggin' cheap one at that.Ya' maybe you can be fast in the living room,try it with 5 or 6 other beacons searching or a multiple burial situation.

No one is questioning your awesomeness and ya' your a mountain ninja,blah- blah- blah.Ask your wife,kids,family if they think you should use that 20 year old lifeline or get the newest technologically advanced equipment that would help save a life,maybe yours. $250 bucks, how much weed would that buy...decisions, decisions.

Trailblazer out....

Ke

Last edited:

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you serious ?????
This thread is great. I have a old SOS beacon I bought new. The cost of a new digital beacon $265.00 including tax delivered, is less than I payed 15 years ago. Not only will I be purchasing a new digital unit but contacting my riding crew and letting them know that a new digital beacon is now mandatory. This may sound harsh but for myself and my crew safety is first and foremost. Thanks RGM for bringing this to my attention I had not givin my peep a second thought till this thread. IMO you buy this before you buy gas to go sledding.
I said, you cant come ride with me if you dont have a digital beacon. You guys are arguing advancements in technology. From what I have read the only Con to the digital beacon is the price. So Lund I assume your not riding your Elan on a daily basis. If you are riding new sleds but using old equipment that is your choice. For me I put a budget total on the sport for the year. If I have to sacrifice in one area so that I can put more money in to better life saving equipment that is my choice. Put this in your hat and ponder!! If there wasnt advancements in technology we would still be crossing the Oceans in boats using candles for light,drinking warm beer and riding Elans.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not below a 25 degree slope......
lotsa people get hit on the hiway too, you wear your air bag in the truck?

My truck is 10 years old, same as my Pieps digital 3 antenna beacon which has been updated with the latest firmware. I don't need to wear my ABS pack in my truck because it already has air bags!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny reading these threads when guys get up on their safety soapboxes. Often times I see the same guys driving like dicks to the staging area, passing on corners, no working trailer lights, etc. but yet won't ride with a guy with no AST 1 course...LMAO.

I said, you cant come ride with me if you dont have a digital beacon. You guys are arguing advancements in technology. From what I have read the only Con to the digital beacon is the price. So Lund I assume your not riding your Elan on a daily basis. If you are riding new sleds but using old equipment that is your choice. For me I put a budget total on the sport for the year. If I have to sacrifice in one area so that I can put more money in to better life saving equipment that is my choice. Put this in your hat and ponder!! If there wasnt advancements in technology we would still be crossing the Oceans in boats using candles for light,drinking warm beer and riding Elans.

Your quote indicates that you and your crew value safety as #1. Sorry, but I would have to question that based on the fact you indicate that you just found out about digital beacons...... because they have been out for many years. What if one of your riding buddies said OK to upgrading his beacon, but you can't come riding with him unless you have a $1000 air bag. And another guy said that's cool with him, but you need to have a chest protector. And another guy said, no problem, but you need to upgrade your helmet to the latest and greatest. Say hello to $3000 in new gear and goodbye to the logic that some people are using that says it only costs $XXX for the beacon (like the cost of a day's ride).

Even if you have all the top level gear, I'd rather ride with someone with an old beacon who knows how to use it and who doesn't point their sled up the first avy path they come to, someone who evaluates the terrain we're going to ride and the conditions..... before we ever leave the hotel. No amount of money can buy EXPERIENCE....something A LOT of people in the mountains seriously lack these days. Been there, done that, been to a recovery where half the people were running around with their beacons still on transmit wondering why they weren't getting a signal. I can cite a number of recent incidents where lack of experience demonstrates this point.

Like a couple others on this thread, I grew up in BC and I've ridden the mountains for over 25 years. My old man and his pals have been riding the hills for well over 40 yrs. They have never been caught in an avy. Up until about 8 yrs ago, they didn't wear beacons. They've lasted this long because they used their heads first, and didn't rely on any amount of gear. Many people are foolish and naive, and more than likely extremely overconfident, in their abilities and their gear when push comes to shove and the **** hits the fan.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised and shocked at the simple minded attitude of people,uninformed on the frequency interference of anolog beacons.There's a reason they're deemed obsolite by all clubs,associations,AMGA,Heli/cat outfits and professional organizations.Not all sledding related either,skiiers that can only afford to spend a thousand bucks for their gear, have $400 beacons.

Get your heads out of your a#& and get with the frickin' program.If pulling your bud out as fast as possible in the case of an avi isn't your highest priority... Then you're a dickhead. A friggin' cheap one at that.Ya' maybe you can be fast in the living room,try it with 5 or 6 other beacons searching or a multiple burial situation.

No one is questioning your awesomeness and ya' your a mountain ninja,blah- blah- blah.Ask your wife,kids,family if they think you should use that 20 year old lifeline or get the newest technologically advanced equipment that would help save a life,maybe yours. $250 bucks, how much weed would that buy...decisions, decisions.

Trailblazer out....

Ke
hahaha, wow name calling..... boy you sure told me.

you obviously do not understand the reason for the arguement. nobody has said the new stuff is not better, only that calling out someone(and posting a pic) because they do not have the new gear is weak. also argued that there are places to ride in the mountains with little risk if people do not have gear.

why the refference to weed?

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny reading these threads when guys get up on their safety soapboxes. Often times I see the same guys driving like dicks to the staging area, passing on corners, no working trailer lights, etc. but yet won't ride with a guy with no AST 1 course...LMAO.

Your quote indicates that you and your crew value safety as #1. Sorry, but I would have to question that based on the fact you indicate that you just found out about digital beacons...... because they have been out for many years. What if one of your riding buddies said OK to upgrading his beacon, but you can't come riding with him unless you have a $1000 air bag. And another guy said that's cool with him, but you need to have a chest protector. And another guy said, no problem, but you need to upgrade your helmet to the latest and greatest. Say hello to $3000 in new gear and goodbye to the logic that some people are using that says it only costs $XXX for the beacon (like the cost of a day's ride).

Even if you have all the top level gear, I'd rather ride with someone with an old beacon who knows how to use it and who doesn't point their sled up the first avy path they come to, someone who evaluates the terrain we're going to ride and the conditions..... before we ever leave the hotel. No amount of money can buy EXPERIENCE....something A LOT of people in the mountains seriously lack these days. Been there, done that, been to a recovery where half the people were running around with their beacons still on transmit wondering why they weren't getting a signal. I can cite a number of recent incidents where lack of experience demonstrates this point.

Like a couple others on this thread, I grew up in BC and I've ridden the mountains for over 25 years. My old man and his pals have been riding the hills for well over 40 yrs. They have never been caught in an avy. Up until about 8 yrs ago, they didn't wear beacons. They've lasted this long because they used their heads first, and didn't rely on any amount of gear. Many people are foolish and naive, and more than likely extremely overconfident, in their abilities and their gear when push comes to shove and the **** hits the fan.
Safety is number 1, and yea I missed all the beacon updates. Ive been wondering about the old SOS beacon, the fact that it is under my jacket I guess none of my other buddys noticed. No excuse, and now that I have been educated on the new equipment I will be purchasing one. We all have airbags, shovels, and current date helmets, as far as chest protector, thats at your own discretion. As far as risky areas we do have go through a couple to get into some areas. When going into those areas we go with a min of 4 riders and cross the risky area 1 at a time. And with these precautions,still there have been highly experienced back country riders caught in avalanches and fortunately due to there safety equipment are here today for us, to go riding with........ I understand money doesnt grow on trees and that this is not a cheap sport. IMHO cutting corners in the safety area is a bad idea. To everyone who is reading this thread. Have a fun and safe riding season....

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very well put!!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If someone shows up with a out of date beacon I like to take mine off and offer to switch for the day, When asked why I say when your looking for me and I have minutes to live I want you to have the fastest easiest beacon to use...

Sure you do that as the the new beacons have twice the transmitting power as well, which is super smart of you. But I am sure you knew that as the experienced avalanche professional that I am sure you are. LOL

As for riding in areas without avi potential, there are lots if a guy is careful. I can think of many easy rides I take people on to lookouts and low grade cut blocks where you can ride all day and have zero and I mean zero chance of avalanche. I ride with my kids on their snow scoots and kitty cats in the mountains all the time and I certainly don't take them anywhere where there is avy potential.

I still maintain that duma&&es with too much money and nothing in the way of experience and brains are the most dangerous thing one can encounter in the mountains on a sledding trip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom