Don't be this guy

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't be this guy

I know, he looks like he just had an awesome day sledding. But look closer, what's that beacon he wearing. Yeah some of you probably weren't even born when these came out. Yes they were state of the art when they did come out but times change. So unless you're still riding an Elan 250 or using one of those bricks for a cell phone it time to retire the old analog beacons and even the digital 2 antenna beacons. I here guys say they can still find a signal in under 5 minutes with the old stuff but no matter how good you are with the old stuff you will be twice as fast with the new stuff. I see to many guys doing beacon practise wandering around totally lost. Don't be that guy.

I have an awesome deal for the new Pieps DSP sport click here for details.

https://www.snowandmud.com/avalanche-awareness-243/new-pieps-dsp-sport-will-stock-86124.html

Attachments

• old Pieps cropped.jpg
    old Pieps cropped.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,305

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a pile of those in a cabinet downstairs, I want to throw them out as a public service. The riskiest part is they don't even operate on the same frequency.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question-- do all the beacons work on the same frequency? if not how do you know what you are looking for??? Obviously this is a very important question as I am planning on going to the mountains and I would rather be safe than sorry.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question-- do all the beacons work on the same frequency? if not how do you know what you are looking for??? Obviously this is a very important question as I am planning on going to the mountains and I would rather be safe than sorry.

I think they do, best to check all them in your riding group by putting them in a circle and one guy turn to track and see if he can see everyone else then switch guys and so on, also at some trails that you pay to get on ive seen a stand that is on track that lets you know your beacon is working. if the sign dosent light up or whatever chances are you can not be found.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have this one, its like.......6 years old?? new batteries in every year (i only ride for a week a year out west currently)

should i update it? looks like they still sell it. Also whats the life spans on these?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the beacons made since 1986 work on 457KHZ. Some of the older ones transmitted a constant signal along with the beeping, (instead of no signal) which caused some issues with he digital beacons.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me your trying to sell something. When i was born it was still another 25yrs before the first beacons were in use. WTH, i am still here and an avy didnt get me.
Better an early beacon then NO beacon IMO and still a majority don't wear them, plus not everyone has so much money that they can upgrade everytime something newer and better is out.
I supose you poke fun at those riding early sleds too and whats wrong with the Elan 250?
The majority of places your riding today were discovered and first found by people riding them Elans.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have this one, its like.......6 years old?? new batteries in every year (i only ride for a week a year out west currently)

should i update it? looks like they still sell it. Also whats the life spans on these?

My experience seeing guys use the tacker is that they are ok but not great (short range) for single burials but as soon as you throw in a second beacon guys get confused using them (no mark function).

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It not just me that thinks these beacons should be retired. Here is what the Canadian Avalanche Center has to say on them

Obsolete Gear : Gear : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

[h=1]Obsolete Gear[/h][h=1][/h]OLD TRANSCEIVERS
Upgrade your transceiver for any of these reasons:

• 2.257 kHZ: This old frequency that was replaced by 457 kHz in the 1980s. If you still have one of these museum pieces, donate it.
  • Dual Frequency: from the 1980s transition era, these transceiverstransmit and receive on both 457 and 2.257, but they don’t do either well. Get a modern transceiver.
  • Earphones: if your transceiver requires you to stick something in your ear, get one with a speaker.
  • No visual display: if you don’t have modern visuals, it’s time for a new transceiver.
  • Single antenna transceivers. I know lots of people are hesitant to upgrade because they’re “faster with their old transceiver,” they’re waiting “for the dust to settle” as new technologies standardize, or they just “don’t get out much”. Here’s why you should upgrade now:
    • Three antennae digital transceivers generally won’t find single antenna (analog) transceivers as well as digital units. That means if two people are buried close together, the one with the digital transceiver is likely to be isolated first. Bad news if it’s you under the snow wearing the old analog transceiver!
    • In a multi-burial scenario, signal overlap can be a significantly bigger issue with old transceivers in the equation. Modern digital transceivers are slowed down and again, it’s you under the snow who bears the cost.
    • Old analog transceivers send out fewer but longer signals. That means in any given period of time there is less information available to process. This slows down a digital transceiver. Consequently search speed slows down. Again, it’s you who pays the piper.
    • False maximum and complex deep burial problems aren’t an issue with modern three antenna transceivers except for extreme cases (where burial depth is greater than probe length).
    • Multiple burial problems are generally easier to solve with modern three antennae digital transceivers. And it’s only going to get easier as fewer old units remain in service.
    • Even in simple scenarios search times are faster with digital units – once you’ve practiced and learned how to use it effectively.
  • Most manufacturers require preventative maintenance every three years to ensure they function properly. This is important because frequency drift, a broken antenna, or a myriad of other problems can affect performance causing the transceiver to fail. Your old transceiver should be costing you money (it could be more economical to just get a new transceiver – and learn how to use it effectively!)
If finances are truly a concern, we recommend you consider buying a used three antenna digital transceivers (which can be function tested at select retail outlets for a nominal fee) over a new single antennae transceiver.
AVY BALL
Spring loaded ball that packs flat but expands to about the size of a soccer ball when deployed. It’s attached to your pack with a 3m cord. The idea is that the light ball remains on the surface so rescuers can quickly follow the cord to the buried person.
AVALANCHE CORD
Old technology from an era before transceiversf. People would drag a 50m cord marked with little distance and direction indicators. They hoped the cord would remain on the surface to aid rescuers. Thankfully, this is but a distant memory from the past.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me your trying to sell something. When i was born it was still another 25yrs before the first beacons were in use. WTH, i am still here and an avy didnt get me.
Better an early beacon then NO beacon IMO and still a majority don't wear them, plus not everyone has so much money that they can upgrade everytime something newer and better is out.
I supose you poke fun at those riding early sleds too and whats wrong with the Elan 250?
The majority of places your riding today were discovered and first found by people riding them Elans.

huh..........?

a majority dont wear them? i beg to differ. in the areas i ride i would say its almost 100% usage. including passengers/children/ just going to the cabin to hang out etc.

i dont think anyone is saying upgrade anytime "something new comes out" as you said. BUT i dont think its unreasonable to say you should have something within the last 10 years at least LOL. fawk i cant beleive were even talking about this. you can get an awesome up to date, current beacon for 250-300$.....LESS THAN a days riding cost, an exhaust can, sled wrap, travel tarp, sled deck, enclosed trailer, turbo, 2014 dodge ram 3500 laramie.

if someone i rode with said something like im not made of money i cant upgrade my 25 year old beacon. they would be searching for new riding buddies pretty quick. PISS poor excuse.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh..........?

a majority dont wear them? i beg to differ. in the areas i ride i would say its almost 100% usage. including passengers/children/ just going to the cabin to hang out etc.

i dont think anyone is saying upgrade anytime "something new comes out" as you said. BUT i dont think its unreasonable to say you should have something within the last 10 years at least LOL. fawk i cant beleive were even talking about this. you can get an awesome up to date, current beacon for 250-300$.....LESS THAN a days riding cost, an exhaust can, sled wrap, travel tarp, sled deck, enclosed trailer, turbo, 2014 dodge ram 3500 laramie.

if someone i rode with said something like im not made of money i cant upgrade my 25 year old beacon. they would be searching for new riding buddies pretty quick. PISS poor excuse.

I don't know where the hell you're riding, but around here LOTS of people have the cost of a days riding.....and that's about it. They can upgrade their stuff, or they can ride...but not afford to to both. My truck's probably one of the newest at 2001. I've got reasonably new sleds because I can afford it, but there's lots of what you'd consider "old" iron running around because that's what they can afford.

I absolutely agree the 457 mhz beacons have to go, but beyond that ....get off your high horse. At least they have them! Lots of people AROUND HERE still don't.

By the way....my cell phone doesn't take pictures either, but it still makes phone calls!

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not made of money so I rent (or in the case of this weekend borrow) a beacon. If better alternatives are out there, and could save you or your buddies lives, don't you think you should use them?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not made of money so I rent (or in the case of this weekend borrow) a beacon. If better alternatives are out there, and could save you or your buddies lives, don't you think you should use them?

I wear a $1000 dollar avi pack because I can afford it, but I'd rather ride with someone wearing an old beacon and using their brain than someone with the latest greatest technology but no idea how to use it or where NOT to ride. This is more the norm than I think most of you realize.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally unless I've seen that you're proficient with an analog beacon I want you to be wearing a 3 antenna digital in my group. I know that people can be damn good with analog though as I've seen Lori do it in her course.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know how to use it, but I understand what you mean.

Technology will never make up for situational awareness and brains.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a $1000 dollar avi pack because I can afford it, but I'd rather ride with someone wearing an old beacon and using their brain than someone with the latest greatest technology but no idea how to use it or where NOT to ride. This is more the norm than I think most of you realize.

TRUE, another important factor is familiarity with your beacon even if it is older. im sure there are some experienced guys that can search better on a 10 year old SOS analog than some guy that just went out and bought a 700$ mammut and hasnt used it

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally unless I've seen that you're proficient with an analog beacon I want you to be wearing a 3 antenna digital in my group. I know that people can be damn good with analog though as I've seen Lori do it in her course.

I wouldn't ever wear an analog beacon personally.....I can afford better. I'll be perfectly happy with my TWO antenna digital for a while yet though. All I'm saying is we shouldn't be trashing those that can't afford better....but are at least doing what they can. Sooooo many that CAN afford it spend their money on big lifted trucks and ear bleeding stereos instead. Those are the ones that pizz me off!

I guess you have to get off the beaten track of Revy, Vale etc. to see it though. My bad! I'll just STF up!:yield:

Top Bottom