Dodge Steering Box Stabilizer

tnichols10

Reaction score
Hello,

I own a 2008 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab with a 3 inch lift and 37" tires. Unfortunatley is has developed the dreaded Dode Death Wobble. I was wondering of ways to correct this issue? It has dual steering stabilizers on it and and a track bar, along with new ball joints and tie rod ends. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done, like an upgraded steering box or a steering box stabilizer, or if a better suspension would help out? Like a Carli Suspension? Right now the truck is using the lift still with some of the same stock parts. Has any one had any luck in completly resolving this issue? If so please let me know. Thank you. :)

Attachments

• My Truck 1.jpg
    My Truck 1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 196

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I heard that if you get off rd shop and do a -caster with lift it will correct it, had same bad problem on f350, but mine got corrected after I did rotors on front disk, 17,000 later and still no wobble and before was almost daily. Goodluck

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of lift is it? 4-link or?? Does it have a front track bar? If so you may just have a bad bushing. Also how does the front tires look? Uneven wear?

As for other lifts ya carli is great but I have heard that getting replacement parts can be a PITA, RIZE is a great lift and getting parts from them is a PITA (Had a RIZE lift). There are other options as well like a Hydro assist kit.

Yes there are better steering boxes, Rock ram is the most popular

Hope this helps.

BM

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have same truck no lift yet. But I just ordered a BD box stabilizer , should be here today. I also did the Dodge upgraded steering linkage with a Carli hi steering stabilizer never had a problem and I run 35's that are fairly wide. I get my Carli stuff from HRT he's on this site, getting parts has never been a issue.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Steering box support helps....... How old are the steering stabilizers on the truck? I would replace them with heavier units then do a proper wheel alignment with the proper amount of caster....... Problem should be solved.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steering box support helps....... How old are the steering stabilizers on the truck? I would replace them with heavier units then do a proper wheel alignment with the proper amount of caster....... Problem should be solved.

I agree...........make sure the alignment shop knows how to do lifted trucks as they don't use factory specs.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also found that if i ran a little more air in my rear air bags therefore transfering weight forward it eliminated it as I was experiencing it during acceleration and the pro comp kit I had sat a little low in the rear yes it was the shoet arm kit back on my 05 but something to try anyhow

The_Plagued_1

Reaction score
check out BD diesel in BC... I have sold about 4 of these and the ppl are totally happy and solves this death wobble for their applications....

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a crock of crap why can't they make something better from factory all you guys are forking out big cash for these trucks and the factory items are not holding up. I am glad I run stock items, on my truck I maybe make 5 to 6,000 Kim's a year.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351456045.747468.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351456076.302697.jpg

Hers my BD !
Very nicely made, bolts in great, loosen the sway bar links first don't bother trying without. Not worth the effort. IMO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351456227.197991.jpg
Here's my old tie rod assem ????? How the f--k did I not have death wobble? Ball joints were toast too! Still drove good just started to click when I turned!! Glad it never broke.
Here's the Dodge's upgrade to a problem that never existed !
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351456419.088159.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351456459.603456.jpg
Way bigger! Should be a whole new truck!
Carli BJ'S $875
Carli hi mout stabilizer $350 .. I think
Carli track bar not sure yet still on its way
Dodge 2008.5 upgrade tie rod assembly with pitman arm -$800
BD steering box support $260

Plus ripping apart whole front of truck..... Priceless!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's why I hate dodges... always nickle and diming me... put that engine in a ford! Thats what i'd like to see... they own it don't they? I'm sure Dodge would never survive that... no offence dodge owners... i have two....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 139355View attachment 139356

Hers my BD !
Very nicely made, bolts in great, loosen the sway bar links first don't bother trying without. Not worth the effort. IMO.

View attachment 139357
Here's my old tie rod assem ????? How the f--k did I not have death wobble? Ball joints were toast too! Still drove good just started to click when I turned!! Glad it never broke.
Here's the Dodge's upgrade to a problem that never existed !
View attachment 139358View attachment 139359
Way bigger! Should be a whole new truck!
Carli BJ'S $875
Carli hi mout stabilizer $350 .. I think
Carli track bar not sure yet still on its way
Dodge 2008.5 upgrade tie rod assembly with pitman arm -$800
BD steering box support $260

Plus ripping apart whole front of truck..... Priceless!

Just wait. The tie rods go just as easy with the upgraded dodge kit.

Bigger bar ect yes... Same size tierod end.

They still don't last.

I can't recall the last time I changed a tierod on a ford. Very few that's forsure

sent from my htc

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
180000 km all off road with a f250 5.4 gas and all it cost me was 1 balljoint.

there is definatly a differance between pounding up and down the roads with an aluminum gas pot vs a heavy diesal Im sure a hemi has a hell of a lot less front end issues than a cummins.
I am on my 4th dodge with cummins and probably due front end yrly (80000kmish) but am not convinced that anything would be any different I do know that the ford I ran required about the same front end servicing Im sure the bigger heavier tires dont help either

The_Plagued_1

Reaction score
The thing is... yes being a Dodge owner I do think that they kinda went small when they put the cummins in.... now ppl put in lift kits and 38 inch tires... what do you expect..... On the fence line that we did and my father did for 28 years..... most have been dodge trucks ( gas) over the years we have had other types of trucks.... even a 1986 Ford F250 4x4 with 1 ton axles we had it for about a month.... twisted frame broken cab mounts... engine cratered etc.... this thing was junk... only had 20,000 km when we bought it.... and this was only the wire and backup truck..... old faithful was a 1979 dodge 1 ton 4x4 power wagon deck truck yes top speed was only 45-50 mph but now that I think of it..... don't think we changed any ball joints or had death wobble.... had the 100% 4x4 when you locked it in.. not this crap now days.... unless you locker it... but, yes you could look thru the floor boards cause the cab was light... but that power train was awesome..... All new trucks have issues... some more then others..... when you alter the factory expect flaws.... I see it every day... My personal 2003 dodge 2500 cummins so far has also been awesome... it has 240,000 km on it and so far injectors, pump and tires.... ohhh and some ujoints....

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is definatly a differance between pounding up and down the roads with an aluminum gas pot vs a heavy diesal Im sure a hemi has a hell of a lot less front end issues than a cummins.
I am on my 4th dodge with cummins and probably due front end yrly (80000kmish) but am not convinced that anything would be any different I do know that the ford I ran required about the same front end servicing Im sure the bigger heavier tires dont help either

Understood completely the cummins is heavy no doubt but design the components accordingly, if it has a diesel build so it so it can handle it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I bought my truck with just under 40000kms on it. I asked the guy if he had done anything , he said only if it was on warranty. I have 120 on it now and I've never done any fnt end stuff till now. I could have done way cheaper, could have changed tie rod ends instead of upgrade assembly. I didn't need ball joints yet but it was close and I figured I'd have to do alinement again if I wait so, plus I could have done ball joints cheaper. I could have got a good set of moods for $ 400ish from my parts buddy. But figured my good dodge source HRT guys know their chit way better I ever will. Hence why I went with the Carli stuff plus I love well made truck parts and Carli is ALL of that ... Period!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's good to know... 2 things... I am a cheap Bast*** and I still drive my 02 cummins... 297k on it... engine is bullet proof after I re did the push pump to lift pump and a new fuel injector which was not covered under warrenty buy dodge. I know for a fact Cummins covered this under warrenty for the same engine... so ya... I am bitter... my truck is a pavement princess and she still goes through ball joints??? What gives?

Know I am having a hard time buying a new dodge... I love the mega cab... and I love the cummins...

oh and if anyone is in BC try the steering box stablizer from Steering soloutions in port kells aka Surrey the guy know's his stuff

The_Plagued_1

Reaction score
I have a buddy that runs a 2009 dodge power wagon... He has since put on the Carli goods... so far he's loving it... I do sell alot of moog front end parts for dodges..... agreed sirkdev :) I'd rather have under weighted parts for my dodge then run a Ford... :)

Top Bottom