Dodge Cummins Clutch Replacement

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a stock '06 5.9 Cummins that needs a clutch. Likely all it will get if anything is an intake and exhaust. More concerned with reliability and cost effectiveness at this point.

What are my options for replacement? Also what is a fair time to get a shop to do the work? 8 hours?

Thanks!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think book time is about 7 hours for it. I had a put southbend 3250 dual disk put in my old dodge and wasn't a big fan. It was pretty slow to shift. I would just put a decent single disc in if I were you. Look at southbend or valair. An organic will be smoother, the more aggressive clutches suck to back up with as they are tough to slip and the truck will jerk and shake.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd want to get a full clutch kit with flywheel, to get rid of the dual mass flywheel.... Luk has a good kits available and come with lifetime warranty
X2 - get rid of the dual mass flywheel - they are problematic at best and fail with no rhyme or reason. No sense in doing the job twice...

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 - get rid of the dual mass flywheel - they are problematic at best and fail with no rhyme or reason. No sense in doing the job twice...

The factory one is dual mass? If so that's what is failing. Have a vibration at idle. Thinking of going with this kit unless I find something equal for less money.

Thoughts?

mgriff

Reaction score
Get ready for the sound of gravel spinning around in your tranny when disengaged...lol they are a noisy beast of a clutch, but a very good one! A dual mass is very quite but they don't last long especially if you are upgrading your power output.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For arguments sake, since power levels won't be increasing and since i don't tow super heavy, would an aftermarket direct replacement for the stock system be a bad way to go? I'm wired to automatically think about upgrades when replacing anything, but there's 178k on this truck and it's the stock setup. And I baby it. So maybe for the first time in my life I don't 'need' the performance parts?

I know. I can't believe I'm saying this either.

mgriff

Reaction score
My 2010 went out at 17k but that was due to my choice to delete with H&S. Stock clutch was nice, but you have to wonder about the reliability when dodge will only stand behind it for 12000km. An aftermarket upgrade makes sense to me..

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For arguments sake, since power levels won't be increasing and since i don't tow super heavy, would an aftermarket direct replacement for the stock system be a bad way to go? I'm wired to automatically think about upgrades when replacing anything, but there's 178k on this truck and it's the stock setup. And I baby it. So maybe for the first time in my life I don't 'need' the performance parts?

I know. I can't believe I'm saying this either.

i thought the dual mass flywheels never came in until the 6.7 but could be wrong with that said if you do have the dual mass flywheel get rid of it
420000 kms on my 05 clutch was still operable
30000 kms on 08 with dual mass and clutch slipping

same driver same trailer

Top Bottom