Dodge 6.7

smokindiesel

Reaction score
yea I have to agree, A lean mixture keeps your diesel engine alive, you run lean most of the day with stock tunning. I modify diesels for a liveing and own two of them that are modifyed. First thing you should know about towing a big load witha ny diesel is get an EGT guage, have the probe put pre turbo and don't let it go past 1400 degrees farenight. Go past 1400 and things can melt, I go past 1400 lots but i don't let it stay past for more than 30 sec or so. Stock trucks have horable tunning, they will go past 1400 deg with a load. A good tunner like a smarty on low settings will lower your temps. The best cold air kit on the market is the AFE cold air kits, they will filter better than your stock filter and flow way more air wich will lower your exhuast temps. Just about any aftermarket 4 inch exhuast system will also lower exhaust temps, MBRP is my favorite.

That being said, I would recomend the 5.9 It is more reliable and has great power, especially if you chip the thing. The 6.7 is not a bad engine, but you have to get rid of the DPF to get any milage or reliability out of it. I don't recomend the h and s tunners as I have seen a lot of issuses with them. I recomend the smarty or smarty junior. IF you have a 2010 your gunna have to go with the h and s as smarty doesn't cover them yet. The exhuast brakes are awesome on the 6.7s, but you can get a pac brake exhuast brake your a 5.9 that will work jsut about as well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad someone cleared that up already, intake and exhaust is a good idea for sure. I used an Amsoil filter with AEM parts. Checked the piping multiple times was clean as ever, a lot of the aftermarket filters are better then stock, but you do need to watch what one.

Programmers are a ok idea IF you are easy on it and keep it down. The tiny bit of power is nice, but i've found I don't even notice it after a week. I could turn it off and back on and not notice. And really no need for it just harder on parts. If you turn the programmers up, it is hard on a lot of parts. Although with a trailer, having it on 1 or 2 was nice for that tiny bit of passing power, but really stock still does very well.

A EGT gauge is not really needed on a stock rig unless your pulling very heavy in the mountains. And even if you ask Cummins they will clearly state any temperature that a stock truck can achieve is safe, they will not say a number but 1450 is usually the magic number people go by. However on a 6 speed, EGT's can get out of control in a hurry if your in the wrong gear. I was curious and lugged my old truck a bit on a hill with my sled deck and 2 sleds, etc hit 1350 and was still climbing in a hurry with a BDTD. But normal driving, I didn't see much over 1100 with a decent load. Had both the edge juice and bully dog triple dog, both were ok. The edge is a very good deal though for what you get.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.7 is not a bad engine, but you have to get rid of the DPF to get any milage or reliability out of it. I don't recomend the h and s tunners as I have seen a lot of issuses with them. I recomend the smarty or smarty junior. IF you have a 2010 your gunna have to go with the h and s as smarty doesn't cover them yet. The exhuast brakes are awesome on the 6.7s, but you can get a pac brake exhuast brake your a 5.9 that will work jsut about as well.

I'm suprized you have found that with the H&S, everything I've read say the rock! But like I said only read have not tried yet. But that is wht I was going with.
Does the smarty clear the codes for running without the DPF,EGR/Cooler ? I believe the H&S does.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
The h and S has some great power to it, they just have issues with loading and changeing tunes. H and S does however have great customer service, but Its only during bussnes hours, so if you have an issuse you will need a computer on the internet and you have to call durring the day. This is a big pain to me. Smarty does have tunning for DPF deletes, his DPF delete tunes are called ME, wich stands for middle eastern. Now don't let this confuse you, the guys at smarty are being very carefull not to break EPA laws and get nailed so they advertise there tunes as only for middle eastern countrys where the EPA does not exist. IF you buy a normal smarty for a 6.7 you can download the ME tunes, In canada you can just go buy the ME version to start with.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The h and S has some great power to it, they just have issues with loading and changeing tunes. H and S does however have great customer service, but Its only during bussnes hours, so if you have an issuse you will need a computer on the internet and you have to call durring the day. This is a big pain to me. Smarty does have tunning for DPF deletes, his DPF delete tunes are called ME, wich stands for middle eastern. Now don't let this confuse you, the guys at smarty are being very carefull not to break EPA laws and get nailed so they advertise there tunes as only for middle eastern countrys where the EPA does not exist. IF you buy a normal smarty for a 6.7 you can download the ME tunes, In canada you can just go buy the ME version to start with.

Thanks, I liked the H&S for the gauges as well. I did try to buy a smarty today on Kijiji for $600 seamed alittle rich for a used programmer.

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
2010 mega cab 6.7 20 miles per gallon imp at 100 k. 17 mpg imp at 120. if you take the mileage on the computer in the truck and add 20% it will take you from us gallons to imp gallons.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just woundering, can't Dodge tell that you had a Smarty s67 installed at one time, even if it's removed.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SORRY Riffraffing, I just scrolled back to the top, got caught up in the 6.7 perfomance talk. Hi-jacked your sale thread. Sorry again.
I love my truck it's the same truck as yours, someone will be very happy!
Great truck great price!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just woundering, can't Dodge tell that you had a Smarty s67 installed at one time, even if it's removed.

I was told that Dodge's software can tell. The dealer I use also told me he used to have the ability to approve major engine repairs with out sending the computor report(he claimed he didnt have a problem with chips, in the 5.9's and would approve any engine failure even though the motor had been chipped.). But not any more, now Dodge looks at the report and goes ....oh look you modified the programing and then but it back.....on warranty....

so I wait until the warranties then i'll make play with it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my 2008 6.7 for a week now.
Towed the toyhauler about 12,000 lbs

Had a gas engine in my old truck.(no power)

That being said for me it was a dream towing with a 3500 diesel.(never owned one before)

The engine brake worked great.
I really know nothing about the emission controls and the truck is all stock.
At this time I am very happy with it.

Best I can tell I got 15 mpg towing at 100 km/hr

riffrraffing

Reaction score
No worries on my part. This isn't my thread. I am selling my truck. Going to get a Dually. Love the truck and love the motor and tranny. My favorite feature as crazy as it sounds, is the Engine/exhaust brake. I also think that the 6.7 has a bit more power than my old 5.9 in stock form. The 6.7 doesn't seem to be working nearly as hard as the 5.9 pulling the same trailer on the same hills. The fuel economy on the 6.7 isn't as good for empty driving, but the fuel economy is better when pulling a load.

As far as chips are concerned, I don't use them. I keep my trucks stock because that is how they are engineered to achieve the balance of performance to reliablity. I have never wished that I had more power driving any diesel truck. The transmission behind the 6.7 is a much better transmission that the one behind the 5.9, both for performance and reliability. (automatic)

I have had zero issues with the DPF system. I drive mostly Highway so I attribute my trucks good luck with the style of driving. Highway driving pulling a trailer seems to keep exhaust issues away. I have heard from some people that stop and go and engine idling doesn't do the DPF system any favors on any truck.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Hey Sledderglen.
I have had no problems with mine so far. I like the 6.7 with the exhaust brake and the 6 speed auto trans. I do alot of highway driving with mine. Loaded or emty. Stock on everything still. Still more reliable than Ron's ford......hahaha. I also don't have the amount of mileage that Ron has on his truck. The heaviest thing I pull is Ron's 4 place sled trailer. It wieghs around 8000lbs.with a couple of sleds and all of our gear.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a Smarty s67 on thier dodge? Was thinking of buying one off a guy, how do you tell if the tunes are in the programmer? I've heard of guys buying a programmer and the tunning is still in the other guys truck still. Do these work this way?

Is the smarty any good for towing, mileage etc?

Harley Rider

Reaction score
I`ll throw in my 2 bits on the 6.7 vs 5.9. My previous truck was an 01 5.9 24 valve regular cab 5 spd. Probably the best truck I have ever or ever will own. Smooth shifting tranny good fuel economy ( the lowest I ever got was 15 with the truck loaded and towing a ridiculously loaded trailer) and adequate power for most jobs. Truck normally got 21 to 24 mpg with a high of a little over 25.
I replaced it with an 08 2500 6.7 6spd manual regular cab bone stock yet due to warranty. This truck is improved in many ways, better ride, vastly improved handling, better seats, noticably more power, quieter, no diesel smoke or smell, the exhaust brake is a nice feature. However 25% poorer fuel economy, any kind of trailer even empty has the milage in the 15s and it drops into the 14s quite often. The best it ever got was 20 on a 1000km highway run empty. Also much more computer crap to screw up and it does. All manufacturers have been pushed into the emissions control by the US EPA as well as computer controlled everything. I`ve had code issues and two recalls so far and the truck only has 31000 km. Did I mention the tire pressure monitor that was only installed to annoy and cannot be disconnected.It comes on or off with no set pattern or reason.
Bottom line keep it simple. The more complex these vehicles get the more to go wrong and more cost to fix.But of course we have to have new and shiny whether we need it or not. I`m still not sure I made the right choice selling the 01.
I also have a 92 5.9 12 valve 5spd and at 219000 every thing still works including the air and a tank of fuel lasts a long time. Only change the oil, grease it and go.

Top Bottom