dodge 3500 mega cab which camper to go with

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going from my travel trailer to a camper but i have just founmd out that the mega cabs are limited because of the 6'3" box and the center of gravity issues. Anyone hauling campers with dodge short boxes and or mega cabs in specific. looking for opions. dont want to be way over weight. i will be installing air bags anyway.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck camper in anything less than an 8' box is a waste IMO. Too small a unit to fit in the box and if you go longer it hangs out so far it impedes your ability to tow a trailer which is really the only advantage of a camper.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like alot of people are running a 8'6" camper on the mega cabs with airbags with no issues. some also hauling horse trailers, ski boats, etc. with no problems. just got to keep the weight down. no huge units with large slides. keep it basic.

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the box on mine a is 6-6 not 6-3
I have pulled a 36 fifth wheel no problem..
the mega cab is basically a crew cab 8 foot box - minus 18 inches in the box extra given back to the cab

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear some people say because of the big cab it throws the center of gravity off and sits more weight behind the rear axle.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found campers less than 10' to be cramped, might be worthwhile to change the truck at the same time, training wheels are nice to have with a camper as well.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My payload I believe is 2700 lbs. on the forums all over the net guys with mega cabs are hauling campers that weigh 2800lbs dry while carrying a ski boat or other trailer with no problems and have put tons of Kms on this package with no problems
i think if I run air bags, torklift load helpers and maybe a rear sway bar I should be fine. Seems like everyone else out there has no problem.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably can do what you said, after going from SRW to a DRW I will never go back. Training wheels is well worth it with a camper and towing. Each to his own though.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wont go to a DRW but i will never again buy a short box truck. Long box only.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good but no thanks. Crew cab would be fine.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is my truck. the center of gravity is max 35". I noticed there is some short box campers with this measurement. i will just have to find them. photo.JPG

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a nice camper that I am interested in. The only problem is that the camper has a 36.5" center of gravity where my truck has a 35" center of gravity. Most guys say not to go over the line, actually you should be before the line towards the cab of the truck. I will be installing air bags and tork lift stable loads. Will that 1.5" matter with my add ons?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your truck looks like a short box or a regular box. I thought a long box was 8'.

Top Bottom