Do you leave furnace on in trailer when you go for your ride?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys unplug your trailer from the truck when you leave for the day leaving the furnace run? My son suggested that we unplug if the furnace is left on just in case it would run the truck batterys down leaving us stranded. Could deal with a cold trailer over a dead truck. I do carry booster cables so not a problem that way but if we are the last to get back to the parking area we could be hooped! My truck 08 dmax died one nite at home and I tried boosting my truck with a new CAT booster pac but it wouldnt turn it over and the CAT pac was fully charged. Im thinkin maybe just picking up a 1000w gen. mounting it inside one of the cabinets and running the exhaust out the floor. Havnt had time yet to search out a programable timer thermostat, maybe just a regular digital one like the NEST which you can control from your cell phone, Hmmm, thanks for all the feedback so far.

we don't unplug ours. on the fords there is no 12v accessory power going to the trailer when the key is turned off. so no issue with running truck battery down. not sure about the other brands.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we don't unplug ours. on the fords there is no 12v accessory power going to the trailer when the key is turned off. so no issue with running truck battery down. not sure about the other brands.
GM is hot all the time.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I set up a truck one time with dual batteries so the second battery was hot to the trailer at all times but cut the power from the main battery (That starts the truck) so wasn't possible to drain my main battery. Starter relays are a beautiful thing!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71CYF+cnCVL._SL1500_.jpg

Also dual 6 volt batteries will last WAY longer for your trailer applications. Well known RV trick. That and as mentioned some solar panels. My parents go for weeks with out 110V in their fifthwheel trailer.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your trailer won't run 8-10 hours with just the furnace going.... You've got bigger problems. Get some decent 6vs or find your draw.
We can go 3 days easy and we have a 12v fantastic fan in roof runs at night to help with air flow.

Top Bottom