Do you leave furnace on in trailer when you go for your ride?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought myself a new enclosed and installed a furnace and put a 75 liter propane tank under the trailer. So I was wondering, are guys starting the furnace in the morning and leaving the heater run so the trailer is nice and warm when you get back from your ride or turning them off? Do you start the furnace when you get back from the ride then leave it run all nite so everything is melted in the morning? I guess its all personal preference. There must be programmable thermostats out there a guy could use so you could have the furnace come on at a pre-determined times?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Bought myself a new enclosed and installed a furnace and put a 75 liter propane tank under the trailer. So I was wondering, are guys starting the furnace in the morning and leaving the heater run so the trailer is nice and warm when you get back from your ride or turning them off? Do you start the furnace when you get back from the ride then leave it run all nite so everything is melted in the morning? I guess its all personal preference. There must be programmable thermostats out there a guy could use so you could have the furnace come on at a pre-determined times?

my concern would be batteries going dead with a forced air furnace going all day long, unless of course you are running a small generator to keep it charged up.

I don't have an enclosed yet, but I will be following this thread to see the "trends"

aocbiz

Reaction score
Both!
the only thing you need to concern your self with is your battery.
plug it in at the hotel and leave it run overnight to dry things up for morning.
if you want to leave the heater running during the day while your out I would suggest a small genet chained and locked to your truck or trailer, and plug your trailer into it. The fan will draw your battery down quickly with out power.
good luck.....you will love having that heat

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we start our furnace the morning of our first day of riding and don't shut it off until the morning that we leave for town. it runs all day and all night. No problem with batteries going dead. we have 2 deep cycle batteries and a small solar panel on the roof. at night we plug the trailer in at the hotel. the sleds are always melted off and our gear is dry. we leave the gear to hang in the trailer. drys better and you dont have to try and hang up a bunch of cloths in the hotel room.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave mine on from time I leave until I get home, you will find you turn it down during the day but leave it running, just have a good deep cell battery and you will be pretty good, first year I ran a genet during the day but that was mostly for the lights but led and all good now

jerrydecoy

Reaction score
Leave mine on all night to dry things out. I love being able to leave all the clothes and boots in the trailer instead of packing stuff in the hotel. 2 deep cycle batteries and mine will run for 3-4 nights depending on temps before they need charged

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine runs from the time it leaves the shop until the time it gets back...2 deep cycle batteries also and we are good on 4-5 day trips.
We try to plug into the hotel every other night if possible just to charge everything up

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
How much propane would that take for the whole weekend? I just run mine when we are in there.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furnace is on a timer and thermostat. Can only go 6 hours so I think I will take timer out. Turn on when we get back to trailer after riding and it pretty much goes till we unload the next day. Reason I may pull timer out is that it usually is off in morning When I go check it so stuff is cold again but I start it and while we are getting ready and having breaky it is warmed up.

I have two batteries as well but always plug in at night. We leave everything in to dry and it always has been by morning.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you guys unplug your trailer from the truck when you leave for the day leaving the furnace run? My son suggested that we unplug if the furnace is left on just in case it would run the truck batterys down leaving us stranded. Could deal with a cold trailer over a dead truck. I do carry booster cables so not a problem that way but if we are the last to get back to the parking area we could be hooped! My truck 08 dmax died one nite at home and I tried boosting my truck with a new CAT booster pac but it wouldnt turn it over and the CAT pac was fully charged. Im thinkin maybe just picking up a 1000w gen. mounting it inside one of the cabinets and running the exhaust out the floor. Havnt had time yet to search out a programable timer thermostat, maybe just a regular digital one like the NEST which you can control from your cell phone, Hmmm, thanks for all the feedback so far.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn it on over night to dry the gear and the sleds, and after the day of riding it only takes minutes to have it comfortable for a few drinks. Find it just a waste running it all day with nothing in there while sledding.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine runs from the time it leaves the shop until the time it gets back...2 deep cycle batteries also and we are good on 4-5 day trips.
We try to plug into the hotel every other night if possible just to charge everything up
You guys leave yours on all weekend to try and kill some of the STD's that are in there, LMAO.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I turn it on when I leave hotel, find no need to leave it running all day. Then turn it on when we leave the hill, plug in at hotel overnight. Rarely use more then 30lbs all weekend. Addition i'll be making this summer is two electric wall heaters wired into one receptacle to plug in overnight or by generator.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to think of it as being the same as your holiday trailer on May long weekend or in the fall.
Get two good deep cycle 6 volt batteries, plug it in when you have the opportunity to, and turn the heat down during the day when your gone and it should work out just fine for you. I too would unplug the truck from the trailer to avoid running down the truck battery.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use these vsr smart relays on everything. Protects you from coming back to a dead truck battery. Especially important in the boat.

Top Bottom