do i take it??

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stuck in a dilemma....

i like where i work, they treat me well and pay me pretty good. it is a small division of a larger company that me and couple guys started when our company was bought out by a mass company a few years back. vacation time is good, lots of flex days, good benefits and very low stress. have recieved 2 bonus's already this year (paid 1/4'ly) and should see a year end bonus as long as things stay steady. no company matching rrsps provided. i know the job very well and am comfortable that it is safe and will move up the ladder in the future.

wasn't looking for a new job, but have had an offer proposed to me.

pay is a 12% increase. vacation time, holidays and flex time is all comparable. would be working with the client, not for the client. on top of salary increase is a 1.5x matching rrsp contribution from the company, plus $20k of stocks to be paid out as cash over 3yrs.

talked it over with my current boss who wants me to stay, who then offered to match the salary, but they can't afford the shares or rrsp matching as it isn't in our budget. company is very small and will struggle if i leave.

whats a guy to do???:confused::confused::confused:

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stuck in a dilemma....

i like where i work, they treat me well and pay me pretty good. it is a small division of a larger company that me and couple guys started when our company was bought out by a mass company a few years back. vacation time is good, lots of flex days, good benefits and very low stress. have recieved 2 bonus's already this year (paid 1/4'ly) and should see a year end bonus as long as things stay steady. no company matching rrsps provided. i know the job very well and am comfortable that it is safe and will move up the ladder in the future.

pay is a 12% increase. vacation time, holidays and flex time is all comparable. would be working with the client, not for the client. on top of salary increase is a 1.5x matching rrsp contribution from the company, plus $20k of stocks to be paid out as cash over 3yrs.

talked it over with my current boss who wants me to stay, who then offered to match the salary, but they can't afford the shares or rrsp matching as it isn't in our budget. company is very small and will struggle if i leave.

stay if they treat you well man....
thats the problem with 90% of the companies out there.....
but you know your situation better than anyone

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stuck in a dilemma....

not always greener on the other side :d

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does your gut feeling tell you , first thing in the morning after a good night of sleep only you know the answer , good luck on your choice

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im thinking if they treat ya well and ya like it there if they are matching wages and regardless if they cant match the other stuff id still stay sometimes loyalty goes a long ways

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stay, and by staying, your boss will see your loyalty, and may offer you more, or be more willing to help you out in a pinch if need be.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd stay. Your employer will remember your loyalty down the road when promotion time comes. Good luck!:):beer:

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd stay, change sucks. Money isn't everything, stick with the job you know you like. Still take the raise though.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMHO, working for the client is always better than working for a contractor but you have to look out for number #1, which ever way that takes you.
Good luck, not a bad spot to be in:beer:

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay and go for an option to use part of your bonus for ownership share.
If you guys are that good a start up, someones gonna come and wack you and there will be a big payday.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said money isn't everything. Curious though, if they are in the same line of work, is there a reason they can't offer the same compensation as another company? If they really can't afford it it's different then not wanting to and keeping more for themselves.

But if your happy it beats an extra bit of benefits imo.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay with it, if you enjoy doing it then I would, the only way id switch is if you didnt like the job. Loyalty will pay off in the end

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id stay with it. it would show your loyalty to them which often will get you alot further in life then the few bucks extra you might make immediately. IMO

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Business is business man. No hard feelings. Do what is right for you and you only. The business you make a sacrifice for one day is the same one that would have no problem turning their back when times are tough for them.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm a bit surprised with all the replies... I thought there would be more people saying to take it, that work is work... will deicide today, will post later what I do!

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stay where you are at. I had the same opportunity as you where I was approached and offered significantly more money to go to another company and stocks, benefits, bonus... But I was involved with a major project at the time and I would have really hurt the company had I left so I just told them if they wanted me to stay they needed to match the vacation and salary offered by this new company and not to worry about the better benefits, bonus and shares. Only took them 30min to decide that loosing me would hurt them to much so they ended up asking me to stay and giving me what I asked. Ever since I noticed I get more respect and they treat me better. Maybe they appreciate the fact I didn't just run off for the better deal and took the time to think about how it will impact their company which most others wouldn't do and also they know that if I was head hunted once I will be head hunted again so they know I'm not held hostage to their company and could find another job fairly easy. They are right, since being head hunted I have been approached 4 more times. Each time I will bring it up to one of the partners in a joking fashion so they know I'm not leaving or anything but so they also understand I'm marketable. One of the 4 times I was in talking to the boss and I got a head hunting call and it was so funny. I just spoke to them openly in front of the boss and we had a good laugh. I enjoy the company I work for and now that my wage with them is competitive I have no reason to leave. I think you are in a good position and you should take advantage of the pay increase but if you know you will hurt the company by leaving and you like the job I would stay with it. I love when two companies have a showdown over someone.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am kinda in the same boat soto speak, , company i work for is one of the better ones i have worked for on a personal basis that is, our benifits suck, wages are a little lower than average for the area, shop is old but prety well supplied, tools etc,. got an offer for aprox, 80k a yr more money 7 on 7 off shift better benefits etc. only issue is job is a 3 yr stint with no gaurentee after also has a 80k signing bonus. but i think i will end up staying as like its been said relationship is 90% of the job i agree with that if you dont like working there money doesn't matter. imo.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Business is business man. No hard feelings. Do what is right for you and you only. The business you make a sacrifice for one day is the same one that would have no problem turning their back when times are tough for them.

x2. You gotta look out for #1 'cause no one else will (despite what they may say to the contrary). Also, don't kid yourself into thinking you can't be replaced. Just do what's best for YOU.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am kinda in the same boat soto speak, , company i work for is one of the better ones i have worked for on a personal basis that is, our benifits suck, wages are a little lower than average for the area, shop is old but prety well supplied, tools etc,. got an offer for aprox, 80k a yr more money 7 on 7 off shift better benefits etc. only issue is job is a 3 yr stint with no gaurentee after also has a 80k signing bonus. but i think i will end up staying as like its been said relationship is 90% of the job i agree with that if you dont like working there money doesn't matter. imo.

Obviously you make way more money than I do, no way that I could turn down a 320,000.00 dollar [plus your normal earnings] gig for a 3 yr stint. I love my job and have been in the same one for 22 yrs but no way would I stay after an offer like that. It is nice to see your loyalty though as there dosn't seem to be much of it around anymore. :beer::beer:

Top Bottom