DJ's Clutch kit

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to edit the QRS video again but after the weekend my better 1/2 got in an accident.

Her family will be taking turns with me so when I am home I will continue to edit the QRS install and finally get the sucker done.

I will post on all the summit forums around the net.

....almost done, just have to put some music intro and add in the transitions with text.

joey

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started to edit the QRS video again but after the weekend my better 1/2 got in an accident.

Her family will be taking turns with me so when I am home I will continue to edit the QRS install and finally get the sucker done.

I will post on all the summit forums around the net.

....almost done, just have to put some music intro and add in the transitions with text.

joey

I am not a Doo guy, but your commitment to your customers is amazing. Beyond creating, testing, calibrating these kits, you also throw out videos like that which is really cool. I wish there was an expert out there like you for Cat and Polaris!

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had the time to do polaris, I certainly would now that Poo makes their own secondary clutch and took the team unit off.

There is a lot of room in that helix for me to play with I have no doubt that I could come up with something smashing to work with the Dalton's Quick Adjust Cam Arms.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had the time to do polaris, I certainly would now that Poo makes their own secondary clutch and took the team unit off.

There is a lot of room in that helix for me to play with I have no doubt that I could come up with something smashing to work with the Dalton's Quick Adjust Cam Arms.

What about Cat clutches?

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No cat stuff. Too many clutch kit vendors out there that all copy each other and the probability of that happening is greater with the cat stuff than poo stuff. There are other manufacturers that are making cat helix's and right now far as I know dalton is only one on the Poo side - dalton protects my helix drawings and does not give out angles.

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that sells the kits around edmonton? About how long does it take if you order from djs site? I hope not a month or 2! LOL!

I am probable a little late, contact banshee911 he ran into someone in Leduc who has a few kits kickn' around

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken at specialty sleds will be carrying my clutch kits in Edmonton.
He just picked up a bunch of them today.
joey

Funny how things change so quickly, I was just in there a couple of months ago talking up your kit and I quote!
Direct from the horses mouth.(Ya well, theres better kits out there) Well if there is better kits out there, what the hell are you doing stocking DJ kits!
I feel like going back there and telling him that he doesn't deserve to be carrying your kits. Save them for the people who appreciate the time and effort you have invested. I have no respect left for Specialty.
JOE, KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how things change so quickly, I was just in there a couple of months ago talking up your kit and I quote!
Direct from the horses mouth.(Ya well, theres better kits out there) Well if there is better kits out there, what the hell are you doing stocking DJ kits!
I feel like going back there and telling him that he doesn't deserve to be carrying your kits. Save them for the people who appreciate the time and effort you have invested. I have no respect left for Specialty.

X2 Well said!

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just need the proper tools! Im gonna order up the proper tools and give it a try !

I just did mine tonight first time ever taking apart a clutch. All I did was watch DJ videos and bought the QRS tool. I was to cheap to buy the primary spring compressor so I just put a big washer on the QRS tool and it worked for both the secondary and the primary! Took me an hour to do primary and an hour to do the secondary.

Boost Monster

Reaction score
Call Ryan @ General Auto in Lamont AB.(780) 895-7446 40min East of Edmonton. He is a DJ's clutch kit dealer and also installs them. Can't beat his prices or service.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep, I know what has been said about the kits and me. I was shocked when I got the call.

One sells a team shaft/secondary/get the installation and you end up making a pretty little penny.
You sell a dynamo joe kit and you don't make enough that one would consider "why am i selling this kit"....the parts are expensive even in the bulk I get made, I just can't get the price down, they are fixed.

Specialty has got enough people coming into their shop now asking for the kit so I think they're just bending to customer questions.

There may be better kits out there but at least with mine its pretty good all around for elevations at sea level to 14000 feet is the record now. The calibration changes and that is what I am here for.
The details that I would like Ken to know is the comments written below and maybe he would give the kit a second chance. I don't know what he did in regarding to calibration that the kit did not perform to satisfaction. Maybe it wasn't the kit, rather the mechanical condition of the wear parts could have hindered it. This is what I always ask "what in the system could be poor that the sled is not responding well to the kit? and then we try to figure it out - which is why I try to educate the customer before they buy, therefore a "SUPPORT" tab with subjects of components to get the owner to make sure their sled will be up to snuff.
Also have an Advice page ...
*Kit works with any bbore/pipe/pipes/driver weight/track...etc, just have to calibrate with little tuning.
*I support after the sale.
*experienced theory guy to talk to
*experienced in engine management and troubleshooting
*give customer an education so they are confident in what they can do themselves.
*its not the kit; its engine management, mechanical fitness of clutch, choice of track, choice of suspension setting, wrong parts installed, helix installed wrong....the list goes on so you one calls me up and help troubleshoot.
*If a guy has trouble with a kit, I don't slam the phone on him, I rather have a remedy.

I am trying to make the kit better all the time.(ie lookit my new ramps) My clutch kit is customer driven.

One thing I learned over the years is...dont bash your competitor, just make a better product.

Anyone has the capacity to make/copy/steal/originate a clutch kit and if it works great...customers will come.
I don't know what else to say other than it brings me a bit of Joy that people are going to Specialty and asking of my kits.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would your kit in the primary work good with a hcx secondary. I have already purchased the hcx secondary.I either have to sell the secondary and go with your complete set up or see how they mate up?

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would your kit in the primary work good with a hcx secondary. I have already purchased the hcx secondary.I either have to sell the secondary and go with your complete set up or see how they mate up?

Sorry I have no idea what the hcx will end up being like.
I don't test with my competition products, I don't even want to see them.
I rather test against stock and try to use as much of stock brp components as possible. I don't want to be known as someone who checks out other competitors kits.

I mean hey don't get me wrong I like hearing what my kits do vs my competitors kits, it usually makes my day. hahaha :d

happy highmarking.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I notice the most is the lightning quick backshifting. So if you come off a little jump while in deep snow and keep it pinned, the engine rpms will stay nearly constant and clutches will shift to adjust to the changing load/track speed. Same if you're off and then back on the throttle, rpms recover much much quicker than stock. The performance is no where near what a stock clutch is at. If your buddies figure their stockers are hot, they will crap when to ride one that is Dj equipped (and properly tuned), I would be happy to ride with your group do demonstrate.

This is an old story now, but last year we had to identical 163's in Revy, we even set up the rear skid with a tape measure to ensure everything was set up the same. One ran stock clutching the other one DJ's kit. In over 3 feet of powder stocker pulled around 62 km/hr trackspeed (on the max speed gauge), same runs the DJ equipped sled pullled 82 km/hr, results varied all weekend from 15-20 km/hr difference between the two (swapping riders and varying conditions). Yes, the stocker one now has DJ kit and performance of the two now are equal....at least now it is operator dependant ;)

Clutch maintenance and sled set up also come into play, as I've seen people throw in a kit and expect the world after riding mine. Even with a DJ kit, you still have to service these clutches and keep them clean, keep belt tension up, proper chain and track tension, regardless of whether there's a clutch kit or not. But regarding belt life....i just changed my first belt out after about 1500km's...it didn't fail, it is now my spare, figured it served it's useful life and can now break in the new one. Sorry for long post...lots to say about the gains from clutch kits.

Well if there is any truth to this i should be really happy with my most recent purchase.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a duty to provide a clutch kit that delivers what it says can be done.
Have to remember though; "what was the shape of the sled(s) that I tested with" So we go through the sleds and make sure the engine and engine management is doing fine and good health - then go through the clutches to make sure they are in good mechanical fitness and the kit should be a drop in and drive on other sleds that are similar fitness.

I believe that the customer has a reciprocal duty to me to confirm that their sled is in decent mechanical fitness. Try to educate the owner through the magic of the internet, have an informative website "self help" and "guided help if needed" and "receive and answer questions" on the sled.

A lot of times if the rpms are incorrect then just a matter of pinweight confirmation and/or primary spring change.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Yeah, one time I had a guy bring in his sled and he really wanted it to rip with a DJ kit. I took a look and it was totally sand blasted!!! Driven through a creek bed and sand spun into the drive belt and re-surfaced the clutch faces, some pretty deep gouges in the faces (like a machinist gone insane on it). Under the spring cup was full of sand too. Anyways, it is safe to say that the DJ kit in that sled will probably not provide the same performance as one installed in a tight clean unit. Those clutches will need to be replaced to get proper performance out of the system, never mind the rest of the sled (bearings, a-arm plastic bushings, etc)

I should have taken pictures of that puppy. I'll never forget it. Cheers.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well mine is on its way now. I hope to get it here and installed before the planned departure of Dec 2nd.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you get the belt deflection adjuster off. Does some one have a pic of the spring compresor for the secondary spring to change the helex out?

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you get the belt deflection adjuster off. Does some one have a pic of the spring compresor for the secondary spring to change the helex out?

Just loosen the inside nut 15mm? then grab the factory tool with the two pegs and turn out its just a plastic plug kind of. The QRS tool then treads in to where the plastis adjuster was.

Hardest part was getting out the 4 torx bolts I replaced mine with bolts.

I'll try and get you a pic tonight.

Top Bottom