DJ's Clutch kit

xrsrev

Reaction score
Anyone know who isntalls them in edmonton? Looking at getting his kit wondering if someone installs them in e-town? I know grasslands does but dont want to take my sled all the way out there!

Thanx

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I heard specialty sleds does them in Edmonton. I do them here in Airdrie/Calgary and i stock the kits and ramps. Specialty may be carrying them now too.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard specialty sleds does them in Edmonton. I do them here in Airdrie/Calgary and i stock the kits and ramps. Specialty may be carrying them now too.

what do you charge for an install? im looking at getting this done. i just don't have time to do it myself. 22 days at work 8 off lol crappy schedule but if you could shoot me an PM that would be awesome thanks!

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a weekend warrior and have installed two in the REV models and one in an XP...2 hours MAX...very ease to do...tons of vids on YouTube to use as examples.

I think i'd have to buy the tools (press) to do this though wouldn't i? just dont wanna get in over my head and have the thing go twang in my face lol :d

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did the install on my 09XP and didn't even have to remove the jackshaft or disturb the chain case. I can do the installs on an 08-09XP, I have the presses for 08-09, I do not have the secondary press for the 2010, so I can help with the installs if people are looking. PM if interested.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did the install on my 09XP and didn't even have to remove the jackshaft or disturb the chain case. I can do the installs on an 08-09XP, I have the presses for 08-09, I do not have the secondary press for the 2010, so I can help with the installs if people are looking. PM if interested.

i know this question may have been answered before but you guys are from my area. I have a 08 summit 154 i ride alot around home here (edmonton / ft sask area) but i also goto blue river, clemina, allan creek areas a couple times a year. what do you guys recomend ?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know this question may have been answered before but you guys are from my area. I have a 08 summit 154 i ride alot around home here (edmonton / ft sask area) but i also goto blue river, clemina, allan creek areas a couple times a year. what do you guys recomend ?

When I talked to Joe about which kit to run he said the high elevation kit would be good enough but could go with the dual elevation kit to get a better snap at the home elevations, I believe its just a pin weight and primary spring change. My buddy I ride with has been running joe's high kit in his 08XP and we ride vale/blue and around here and St. Paul and it runs excellent with no loss in power, just changes clickers from here to there.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Yeah, same with us, the DJ high altitude kit is versatile enough for most Alberta guys that ride mtns in BC mostly and around home a little bit. Just clicker between the areas. I wouldn't bother with the dual elevation kit, unless you run mostly riding around home, and only take a few trips a year to the mtns, and are a die hard tuner, as it's work to make the switch...unless you have it open anyways for cleaning.

For myself i just stick with high elevation kit, but guys in places like whitecourt or bonneyvile areas with an elaborate trail system, would see the benefit of the dual elevation kit.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive never really had a sled witha good clutch kit.. my sled is pretty new 500 kms or so. My question is what are the things im going to notice with the sled when i take it out after a clutch kit? im a light guy around 155 lbs and 5'10. Im just making sure it'll be worth it or not. on a stock sled..

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me and anyone else that says a clutch kit is worth it, it is worth it. All the power in the world doesn't mean squat if you can't get it to the ground properly. With DJ 's kit the clutch engages quicker and allows the rpm's to build faster, so it more like a dirtbike. I'm sure Drop the Hammer can help with the discription better.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
One thing I notice the most is the lightning quick backshifting. So if you come off a little jump while in deep snow and keep it pinned, the engine rpms will stay nearly constant and clutches will shift to adjust to the changing load/track speed. Same if you're off and then back on the throttle, rpms recover much much quicker than stock. The performance is no where near what a stock clutch is at. If your buddies figure their stockers are hot, they will crap when to ride one that is Dj equipped (and properly tuned), I would be happy to ride with your group do demonstrate.

This is an old story now, but last year we had to identical 163's in Revy, we even set up the rear skid with a tape measure to ensure everything was set up the same. One ran stock clutching the other one DJ's kit. In over 3 feet of powder stocker pulled around 62 km/hr trackspeed (on the max speed gauge), same runs the DJ equipped sled pullled 82 km/hr, results varied all weekend from 15-20 km/hr difference between the two (swapping riders and varying conditions). Yes, the stocker one now has DJ kit and performance of the two now are equal....at least now it is operator dependant ;)

Clutch maintenance and sled set up also come into play, as I've seen people throw in a kit and expect the world after riding mine. Even with a DJ kit, you still have to service these clutches and keep them clean, keep belt tension up, proper chain and track tension, regardless of whether there's a clutch kit or not. But regarding belt life....i just changed my first belt out after about 1500km's...it didn't fail, it is now my spare, figured it served it's useful life and can now break in the new one. Sorry for long post...lots to say about the gains from clutch kits.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I notice the most is the lightning quick backshifting. So if you come off a little jump while in deep snow and keep it pinned, the engine rpms will stay nearly constant and clutches will shift to adjust to the changing load/track speed. Same if you're off and then back on the throttle, rpms recover much much quicker than stock. The performance is no where near what a stock clutch is at. If your buddies figure their stockers are hot, they will crap when to ride one that is Dj equipped (and properly tuned), I would be happy to ride with your group do demonstrate.

This is an old story now, but last year we had to identical 163's in Revy, we even set up the rear skid with a tape measure to ensure everything was set up the same. One ran stock clutching the other one DJ's kit. In over 3 feet of powder stocker pulled around 62 km/hr trackspeed (on the max speed gauge), same runs the DJ equipped sled pullled 82 km/hr, results varied all weekend from 15-20 km/hr difference between the two (swapping riders and varying conditions). Yes, the stocker one now has DJ kit and performance of the two now are equal....at least now it is operator dependant ;)

Clutch maintenance and sled set up also come into play, as I've seen people throw in a kit and expect the world after riding mine. Even with a DJ kit, you still have to service these clutches and keep them clean, keep belt tension up, proper chain and track tension, regardless of whether there's a clutch kit or not. But regarding belt life....i just changed my first belt out after about 1500km's...it didn't fail, it is now my spare, figured it served it's useful life and can now break in the new one. Sorry for long post...lots to say about the gains from clutch kits.

Thanks alot! i think i'll be picking up a kit then. im not big into pipes and stuff like that right now i went that route with my last sled and dont like the reliabilty issues (may have been just that sled though) so im going the lightweight route.

i feel comfortable with installing a clutch kit. i watched a couple of videos on YOUTUBE and feel pretty comfortable doing it myself. im mechanically inclined just need the proper tools! Im gonna order up the proper tools and give it a try ! wish me luck.

i appreciate the help guys!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot! i think i'll be picking up a kit then. im not big into pipes and stuff like that right now i went that route with my last sled and dont like the reliabilty issues (may have been just that sled though) so im going the lightweight route.

i feel comfortable with installing a clutch kit. i watched a couple of videos on YOUTUBE and feel pretty comfortable doing it myself. im mechanically inclined just need the proper tools! Im gonna order up the proper tools and give it a try ! wish me luck.

If ya need help with the install or dont feel comfortable doing it let me know and I'll see if I can help as I believe your in the Edmonton area?

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ya need help with the install or dont feel comfortable doing it let me know and I'll see if I can help as I believe your in the Edmonton area?

Yep Im from Fort Saskatchewan area... and i will definetly let you know if i need any help. thanks :beer:

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a DJ cluth kit install on a Rev. I am interested in this kit but could not find a install video on youtube. I could only find guys with the skis in the air after install.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ram4Tow,
I am just doing the exact same. Ordered a 13.5:1 Head and a high flow intake as well as the tools to do the job. I am hearing very good things about this type of set up on the XP's.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a DJ cluth kit install on a Rev. I am interested in this kit but could not find a install video on youtube. I could only find guys with the skis in the air after install.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92C7CZuHe2I&feature=related[/media]

i think its being done on a newer style

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ram4Tow,
I am just doing the exact same. Ordered a 13.5:1 Head and a high flow intake as well as the tools to do the job. I am hearing very good things about this type of set up on the XP's.

Sounds awesome when are you going to be installing all of that stuff? who did you order all the part from?

let me know how it all goes!

xrsrev

Reaction score
Is there anyone that sells the kits around edmonton? About how long does it take if you order from djs site? I hope not a month or 2! LOL!

Top Bottom