DJ kit in a 174 t3, high rpm's

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
recently installed a DJ kit in my 174. all stock except can. i started at the recomended weight and my sled pulled 8000-8100 on clicker 1 at home (elevation 2200) . figured it would be good to go in the hills. first trip out i left it on clicker 1 at 7500-8000 ft elevation and pulled the same rpm on clicker 1. got home and started adding weight and testing it out. now i have the longest screw in the pin and am still pulling the same rpm ...8000-8100 at home. how can i add over 5 grams of weight and still pull the same rpm??? anyone out there have his kit in the same type of sled?? what are you finding?? i have sent a e mail to joe and am waiting a response and just thought i would see what everyone else is finding. thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you ride the machine first with the stock clutching? hard to start tracking down problems with aftermarket stuff unless we know the stock stuff worked just fine at first. could be an issue from the factory.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
factory clutching held 7900 on click 1, are you running any kind of clutching mods max??

At altitude or at home with the factory clutching? What's the total weight now? 5g added and no diff in rpm is interesting. Is the heal of the ramp actually sitting on the clicker?
Is the tach accurate? My 13 was off on the analog and had to adjust the scaling. Does the sled pull hard though the shift? And does the clutches shift out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at home with factory clutching (2200'), pin weight now at 20.4 gr, digital and analog both agree, sled pulls hard and shifts out. i should also add that i started out with the kit in a 600 race clutch and had the same issues so i switched everything over to the factory clutch with the same results.

i am going to try and put the factory spring in the primary and see what weight it will pull, i just thought there would be other people out there running the same set up and could chime in

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is that DJ kit for a 800?? And the latest 800 kit?
20.4 is a lot of pinweight to try and pull with a 800 at altitude. You do have a 800 right? No power adders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is for an 800, and ya it is a stock 800....unless doo slipped up and put one of their new factory big bores in there;), i agree i am way high on the weight. i am not sure if it has to do with the low factory gearing, diff ramps for this year and the heavier spring in the kit all combined. am busy tomorrow but am gonna try the factory spring which has 30lbs less force on the top end than the kit spring

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is for an 800, and ya it is a stock 800....unless doo slipped up and put one of their new factory big bores in there;), i agree i am way high on the weight. i am not sure if it has to do with the low factory gearing, diff ramps for this year and the heavier spring in the kit all combined. am busy tomorrow but am gonna try the factory spring which has 30lbs less force on the top end than the kit spring

If that's a new kit than I'd leave it in there, and try it at altitude. So what if you end up on clicker 5-6 maybe it will work out and be on clicker 3-4.
The 438 ramps are very similar in finish to the 441 so that's not your issue.
Maybe actually verify what joe sent you is what your supposed to be running, I know joes likes to use stiff springs and has a few different helix's.

Maybe you got one of those special etecs!

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe the kit spring is 160/380, factory is 160/350. helix is the nc-d2 ...pretty much std helix in his kits. the thing that is funny is that it pulls 8000-8100 no matter the weight, i never see it hit the rev limiter or hear the engine acting like it is. what are the chances it is something to do with the secondary spring? the kit spring is noticably more stout than the factory part

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I don't believe that the issue either. I'd talk to Joey first before changing anything else.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I don't believe that the issue either. I'd talk to Joey first before changing anything else.
If it was me I'd try it with the pinweight that you have In there and see what clicker you end up with at altitude.

These etecs are different animals, I've heard that they will pull the timing if they start to overrev. My brother just told me yesterday that When he was in revy he decided to lower his clickers and went from 4 to 1 and was still at the same rpm, at altitude.

Burns

Reaction score
Is it actually shifting out? Does it fall flat on its face or is it pulling like the stock clutching?m try marking the clutches with a sharpie to see if they are shifting.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it actually shifting out? Does it fall flat on its face or is it pulling like the stock clutching?m try marking the clutches with a sharpie to see if they are shifting.

that is the weird part , it pulls real hard, no problem pointing the skis toward the sky while cruzing along at 45+ mph, when i add more weight it doesn't really feel like it pulls any harder...which it should

surely i am not the only person out there with one of DJ's kits in a 174???

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is the weird part , it pulls real hard, no problem pointing the skis toward the sky while cruzing along at 45+ mph, when i add more weight it doesn't really feel like it pulls any harder...which it should

surely i am not the only person out there with one of DJ's kits in a 174???
How much pinweight came in the stock setup?

hpjunkie

Reaction score
On my '14 154 DJ kit, run 21g@ 2000' with a 380 finish. At Renshaw either 16.9g #4, or 16g #3. I think factory pins are 14.4g if memory is correct.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my '14 154 DJ kit, run 21g@ 2000' with a 380 finish. At Renshaw either 16.9g #4, or 16g #3. I think factory pins are 14.4g if memory is correct.

thanks, that points me in the right direction, did you ever try more weight at altitude or turning the clickers down?

Top Bottom