DJ clutch spring?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just cleaning and servicing my primary clutch on my sled. And I noticed that the DJ spring is short and easier to push then the stock spring. Is that normal? And wouldn't you want a stiffer spring? What would happen if I used the stock spring, would it rev to high and not shift? Thanks for the help

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just cleaning and servicing my primary clutch on my sled. And I noticed that the DJ spring is short and easier to push then the stock spring. Is that normal? And wouldn't you want a stiffer spring? What would happen if I used the stock spring, would it rev to high and not shift? Thanks for the help

Depending on the mileage you have on that set up, it could be time for a new spring. Is it the purple one?

You can always email or give Joey a call as well.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey suggested to me to run either the purple/pnk or the purple/white dalton( i think) for my setup

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep the dj kit is a pur/pink over time the spring will ware out and get weak you can just go to a skidoo dealer or get a hold of people who sell dj kits and get a new spring!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this normal? Can't really say, primary springs change between models and years so with different lengths and rates.

And wouldn't you want a stiffer spring? Not necessarily - the amount of weight in the arms, ramp profile, clicker position and spring rate all interact so clutch kit designs vary. Personally I like a lighter spring / lighter weight setup because I believe it's easier on clutch parts like bushings.

if I used the stock spring, would it rev to high and not shift? It will rev higher for a given load and the engagement RPM might be different. It will still shift up and down though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a purple/ white spring and only has about 1200 kms on it since I installed the kit. Thanks for the advice!

jumpingjack

Reaction score
The overall spring lengths are different depending on the start force the spring is rated for. If you wave a 160 start force spring next to a 200 start force spring the 160 spring will be shorter. The only wait to tell if your spring is done is by putting it next to a new spring that is the same or putting in a machine that can test it at a given length. If its a spring from last year just order a new spring if you were happy with how it worked. More springs are less than $40

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring size is also determined by wire diameter and steel type.
The length is also an indication of a spring with a higher final force.
A 160/230 is 158mm long
A 160/380 is 99mm long
Think of a spring really is just a "bar" of steel. With a long bar grabbed on each end with each hand, would it be easier to bend than a shorter bar? You have more leverage against the longer bar, you would fold it up like nothing. Shorten the bar up and now more effort has to be put into bending it.
Springs are as so.
Just imagine taking that spring by both ends and being strong enough to stretch it out, how much wire would you have between your hands? Do the same with the shorter spring.

:d

Attachments

• springythingy.jpg
    springythingy.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Top Bottom