Ditch banging near Calgary

Mattjames

Reaction score
That's what I thought as well! But I'm sure your fine, and if you get pulled over just make sure you have all your papers and play dumb to the fact you had no clue that you where or where not allowed to ride there! That's what I did, you may get the in depth explanation from him like I did. He even had to get out of the car and show me the ditch line to make his point clear.

pongo101d

Reaction score
Just checked that Eagle Lake ice is 12" thick. What's the minimum thickness required? 18"?

Mattjames

Reaction score
Technically you only need a foot to drive on With a truck. Now that said I won't put my truck on a lake that isn't at least 20-24" thick. Chestermere is at about 20" of ice. They have the ice bike track set up already so you know it's thick enough. And there has been tuns of people out there. I have herd eagle can have some thin parts on it as it is spring fed in some parts.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well! But I'm sure your fine, and if you get pulled over just make sure you have all your papers and play dumb to the fact you had no clue that you where or where not allowed to ride there! That's what I did, you may get the in depth explanation from him like I did. He even had to get out of the car and show me the ditch line to make his point clear.

best to always play "dumb" as they say as most of the police are good and will let ya off. but every once in a while they like to give a paper memento. always best to do the yes sir no sir thing.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I decided to try and enjoy this fresh snow we have. Went for a rides long the ditch on the sled, the cop didn't think it was such a good idea. First time being pulled over on the sled! There are tracks all over the place out by Langdon so I guess I just had bad timing today. Luckily I didn't get a ticket out of it, I think he was more pissed off at the fact that the guy on the other side of the road with the same idea that he tried to pull over decided to take a left and run into the field. I guess I can't complain, apparently he could have gave me a ticket for $200 for riding a off highway vehical on the highway.

There probley stoping sledders in that area cause some F*ck tards are riding up the middle of the divided high way. East of Chestermere lake. Why the middle. Urrrrrrrrr

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2" to support a person
4" to support a quad/sled
6" to support a truck

The key word is "support"

I wouldn't think twice about ripping across 12" of ice, jmo. When I ice raced bikes and quads, we wouldn't go out unless ther was a min of 18" of ice. At a 165k/hr on a bike, its not hard to create a wake beneath you!!! After the winter we have had here, I really have no hesitations of going out on any body of water around here. But that is JMO!!!

pongo101d

Reaction score
I'll probably just play it safe and go to Chestermere to put the first couple of miles on the sled. Thanks for the info.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes and no, to playing dumb. I prefer honest, but not to the point of being azzhole!!! Some cops know wtf they are talikng about, and some don't....
If you can ride back home, and not in the back seat. Only getting a ticket, I personally wouldn't cry over spilled milk...... just sayin.....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also as Calgarysledguy mentioned...... It would also have to do with some azzhats running the meridian, or you got ratted out, or you got pulled over by a cop who has a complex???
either way... your good to go for the next ride :D

pongo101d

Reaction score
I would go, but my little 550cc Polaris wouldn't keep up to your sled, and I work at 1:30 in the afternoon.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with keeping up, just going out and having fun :D

Mattjames

Reaction score
Hey quadtrash. I'm down for a run tomorrow. Shoot me a pm and we can set something up!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
not true Doug..Airdrie is in rocky view and i got busted on my quad that day..hiway is fence post to fence post..
We are allowed to ride in the ditches in the MD of Rocky View. We must be plated and registered, I carry everything in my back back and am happy to produce the chit when asked. I have never been asked.... At night we are not supposed to ride in the East ditch, when traffic is going West. (Just an example of direction)
If anyone here has more questions or doubt's. I strongly recommend going to your local RC, CPD or any other presinct(sp*) and ask them what your/our rights and limitations are?
Like I have said.... Living in the city, and riding right from home. I have Never had a problem, and have asked my bro in law about the laws.
The biggest thing he said....... if your nieghbors are good with what you are doing, you will never have a problem from us (CPD)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey quadtrash. I'm down for a run tomorrow. Shoot me a pm and we can set something up!

Change of plan for me..... My brother is flying in from Grande Prairie, and I have to pick him up at the airport. But I'll still send you a PM, and maybe set something up for next weekend.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's the snow in the irrigation canal. Seen ppl in them before. Can access from Chestemere Lake. I'd be all over except for this stupid collar on my neck. Maybe next snow fall.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The canal could use another dump of snow, I have access to it a couple of K to the North of me. I think it would be fun, but just not yet.

Closer to Chestermere, might be better???

Top Bottom