Ditch banging near Calgary

Mattjames

Reaction score
So I decided to try and enjoy this fresh snow we have. Went for a rides long the ditch on the sled, the cop didn't think it was such a good idea. First time being pulled over on the sled! There are tracks all over the place out by Langdon so I guess I just had bad timing today. Luckily I didn't get a ticket out of it, I think he was more pissed off at the fact that the guy on the other side of the road with the same idea that he tried to pull over decided to take a left and run into the field. I guess I can't complain, apparently he could have gave me a ticket for $200 for riding a off highway vehical on the highway.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I decided to try and enjoy this fresh snow we have. Went for a rides long the ditch on the sled, the cop didn't think it was such a good idea. First time being pulled over on the sled! There are tracks all over the place out by Langdon so I guess I just had bad timing today. Luckily I didn't get a ticket out of it, I think he was more pissed off at the fact that the guy on the other side of the road with the same idea that he tried to pull over decided to take a left and run into the field. I guess I can't complain, apparently he could have gave me a ticket for $200 for riding a off highway vehical on the highway.

That sucks, wonder why it's illegal these days? I could see night riding being dangerous to other drivers. Used to love ripping up the ditches.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That does suck!!! But good thing you weren't ticketed ;)
I live in Shepard, and have ridden sleds, quads, and bikes right from my house across the tracks and punched it out East. Even thought of playing 9, at HeatherGlen with the sled, LOL. But knowing that no good would come of that!!! I don't have RC's out here, being a part of the City. But I have passed CPD on my way out to the trail head (about 600' from the house) and never have had a problem.
Hopefully you can get out again, I have been eyeing up some of those drifted ditch's for the last couple of day's :D

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's legal to ride in ditches here in SK. But as far as on the road itself, you have to stop, cross it, and get off, no loitering / travelling on it. Only limitations are no riding in median of a divided highway and at night can't ride on left side of ditch.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really think u had a rookie cop or something i take mine to the general store and pub and they never look twice

Mattjames

Reaction score
It was a sheriff, not sure if he was bored or if someone called them, 2 cruisers stopped. I have seen multiple people riding sleds around the area as well. I think I just had some bad timing! Quadtrash I also wouldn't mind going for a ride at the golf course I think it would make for a fun time with all the nice terrain! If anything it may have been the fact I was side hilling along the ditch in the deep drifts, Was kinda getting a little close to the road. I have talked to other RCMP members and they said they didn't even know the law on it as it changes for whichever municipality your riding in. Not sure what the laws are in rocky view?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was a sheriff, not sure if he was bored or if someone called them, 2 cruisers stopped. I have seen multiple people riding sleds around the area as well. I think I just had some bad timing! Quadtrash I also wouldn't mind going for a ride at the golf course I think it would make for a fun time with all the nice terrain! If anything it may have been the fact I was side hilling along the ditch in the deep drifts, Was kinda getting a little close to the road. I have talked to other RCMP members and they said they didn't even know the law on it as it changes for whichever municipality your riding in. Not sure what the laws are in rocky view?

I don't think that that the Sheriff's know the laws of Rocky View :confused:
If your plated and registered. Your good to go!!! Just be carefull crossing that double, as you already know you have LOT's of action out there as far as the cops go.
Not knocking cops, as my bro in law has been a part of CPD for 25+ years.
Let me know when you wanna play a round this winter??? I'd be happy to meet up with you, or unload at either homesteads and go for a rip :D

Mattjames

Reaction score
Sounds good man! Yes it was around that time. I got home early from work and had some day light to kill!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the county of Parkland was try to force all ohv to ride on the roads in the county; had big argument with county official about it .Trying to tell him that snowmobile and quads can't be class the same you tell a snowmobiler to ride on road your putting a life at a risk he just could understand that all he was worry about is the people that mow there ditch's it might damage the grass IDOTS!!!!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hit the LC in Chesterslew, and took Rainbow road home. Sitting at the intersection on Glenmore, and Rainbow. I watched to Sheriff's heading your way, one had a burnt out headlight and the other just behind.

pongo101d

Reaction score
I was going to go out ditchbanging tomorrow sometime north of the city. It is legal if you stay far enough from the road, isn't it? I've got a brand new sled I want to try out.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to go out ditchbanging tomorrow sometime north of the city. It is legal if you stay far enough from the road, isn't it? I've got a brand new sled I want to try out.

Depends where your planning on going???

Mattjames

Reaction score
Ya that must have been them. I'm guessing someone decided to call them. I have NEVER seen a sheriff in Langdon before. RCMP yes but never a sheriff. Pongo: according to this sheriff if your in the ditch you breaking the law. But I think if you stay off any major road way you should be fine. Your other choice would be to go to chestermere lake if you are just looking to run it a bit, or a open farmers field. I would be carful in any ditches you don't know very well. There can be a lot of crap under the snow that can do some damage. Your new sled might not be to pretty if you hit something of size.

pongo101d

Reaction score
where do you get onto Chestermere from? I'm guessing not right at the boat launch. what about Eagle Lake out by Strathmore? Can you ride out there?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a fyi,

province of alberta traffic act prohibits the use of any off highway vehicle( ie snowmobile) on any highway. highway defined as thoroughfare, street, road, alley, sidewalk etc. and ditch running paralel to to a roadway. (if you can legally drive a vehicle on it it is classed as a highway)
you are allowed to cross a highway if you
- stop the vehicle before xing
-passengers must dismount
- u must yield the right of way to all vehicles travelling on the highway
- xing is made in the most direct route.

each county may or may not allow a sled to operate in the ditch portion of the county road only. must be properly licensed and insured and only operated by those 14 and older, unless under direct supervision by someone 18 or older. and you must have written permission by the landowner on private property.

info was found in the county paper penned by the bylaw officer.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are allowed to ride in the ditches in the MD of Rocky View. We must be plated and registered, I carry everything in my back back and am happy to produce the chit when asked. I have never been asked.... At night we are not supposed to ride in the East ditch, when traffic is going West. (Just an example of direction)
If anyone here has more questions or doubt's. I strongly recommend going to your local RC, CPD or any other presinct(sp*) and ask them what your/our rights and limitations are?
Like I have said.... Living in the city, and riding right from home. I have Never had a problem, and have asked my bro in law about the laws.
The biggest thing he said....... if your nieghbors are good with what you are doing, you will never have a problem from us (CPD)

pongo101d

Reaction score
I was going to ride the ditches along highway 567, just west of Balzac. That's Rockyview, correct? I've seen that other snowmobiles have been in there before.

Mattjames

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to stop by the police station in town and get a final word on this lol!

You can get onto chestermere lake from the boat launch via hwy 1A (17th ave). I'm sure eagle lake would be fine as well. Not sure where the access road is though. I have only been out there one time fishing.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best to check, just because some one else got lucky and got away with it. hehe, call the county bylaw dept.

county of red deer allows sleds in ditches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom