Ditch bang'in ?????

mikey11

Reaction score
hey guys,

Alot of people do it, but are there any laws against riding the ditches along our highways or does it vary county to county. I'm talk'in about in alberta mostly west of stony plain.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is the info I found. I posted it on snowwest.

OK i did the research for you guys.

Stay off the Road

(A snowmobiler is prohibited from riding on any portion of a highway (Section 120 (2)(b) of the Traffic Safety Act).

Exceptions to this law:

Be careful when crossing roads of any kind. Come to a complete stop and make absolutely sure no traffic is approaching from any direction. Then cross at a right angle to traffic. Cross by the most direct, shortest and safest route available.
(Note: Persons under the age of 14 are not permitted to drive on a highway as per Off Highway Vehicle Regulation Prohibition Section 2(1).
Snowmobilers may ride in ditches alongside highways for a specified amount of time during daylight hours only with special permission granted from the provincial government for a special event, or special permission (bylaw) from the municipal government.)

This is under the Stay off the Road.Dont read the part about aftermarket muffler that make more noise . There not legal LOL opps i broke the Law.

F@@K they should kick all honda Civics off the roads cause they have aftermarket mufflers the sounds like A$$ hehehehe

http://www.saferoads.com/vehicles/snowmobile_snowlaw.html

Happy Ditch Banging Boys and Gals :beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

BonBon

Reaction score
Was riding a bunch of ditches today and yesterday! Snow is pretty darn good so far. could use some more, but its very definitely worth playing in! Just remember to watch for culverts and other obstacles when crossing approaches in the ditches! Seen too many bad things happen to the guy that's not paying attention! :) Happy trails peeps! :)

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding a bunch of ditches today and yesterday! Snow is pretty darn good so far. could use some more, but its very definitely worth playing in! Just remember to watch for culverts and other obstacles when crossing approaches in the ditches! Seen too many bad things happen to the guy that's not paying attention! :) Happy trails peeps! :)

watch out for garbage too hit a tire last year... that hurt.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
does anyone know about those laws for bc? just curious got a few locals bothering me about riding in the ditch along the high way

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the days that no one is around to ride with, the days you wake up to late, the days when the avys are to risky, lol and its how i get to the staging areas here

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

Alot of people do it, but are there any laws against riding the ditches along our highways or does it vary county to county. I'm talk'in about in alberta mostly west of stony plain.

Hope this helps. :rules: I could be wrong but the way I read it it's not legal without a permit. Is that what your saying calgarysledguy???

In Alberta, snowmobiles cannot be operated on any portion of a highway including ditches. In this case, highway refers to all types of roadways

Snowmobilers may ride in ditches alongside highways for a specified amount of time during daylight hours only with special permission granted from the provincial government for a special event, or special permission (bylaw) from the municipal government.

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hope this helps. :rules: I could be wrong but the way I read it it's not legal without a permit. Is that what your saying calgarysledguy???

In Alberta, snowmobiles cannot be operated on any portion of a highway including ditches. In this case, highway refers to all types of roadways

Snowmobilers may ride in ditches alongside highways for a specified amount of time during daylight hours only with special permission granted from the provincial government for a special event, or special permission (bylaw) from the municipal government.

It says no where that we cannot.

The way i understand it is that sledders have special permission to do this.......... I went buy 3 DOTs and one RCMP yesturday and 2 out of the 4 waved. RCMP was stoped on the corner doing radar and didnt do nothing.......Ill phone them in the afternoon and get the scoop and share it.:beer::beer::beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is illegal in strathcona county now.

and they enforce it every weekend on 2 patrol sleds.

waste of my money

and yet they can drive ON THE ROAD...give me a break

one time i watched a police truck ( f-350 ) cut off the highway in front of me and plowed right into the ditch to cut off a familiy of sledders.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Parkland County Has VERY specific rules around "Offhighway Vehicle" usage. This includes, snowmobiles, quads, side by sides, dirtbikes etc.

This information is only part of the complete bylaw and was found at the below Website.
Insure you read the complete bylaw and check with your local Law enforcement agency before heading out riding in any area.
OPERATION RESTRICTIONS
2. Any Qualified Person may operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on a Highway within the County, provided it is properly registered and insured under the Act, and subject to the following conditions:

a) No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on any Highway except as specifically provided for within this by-law;

b ) Except as provided otherwise in this by-law, an Operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle shall be permitted to operate the Off-Highway Vehicle on the extreme
right hand side of the Roadway or in the Ditch and shall travel single file at all times. Off-Highway Vehicles, when traveling on any Highway as permitted in this
By-Law, shall travel in the same direction as vehicles traveling on that side of the Roadway closest to the Off-Highway Vehicle.

c) An Operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle within a Hamlet within the County shall use the Roadway within the said Hamlet only to leave from and return to the
Hamlet by the most direct route possible to and from his or her residence, at a maximum speed of thirty (30) kilometers per hour within the said Hamlet;

d) An operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle on any Internal Subdivision Roadway, within a Multi Parcel Subdivision, shall use the Roadway only and at a maximum
speed of thirty (30) kilometers per hour;

e) The hours of operating an Off-Highway Vehicle on a Highway shall be restricted to the period of time between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.;

f) The maximum speed at which an Off-Highway Vehicle shall be permitted to travel in a ditch is thirty (30) kilometers per hour, and when traveling on the
Roadway, at a maximum speed of 50 km/h;

g) No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle in any Park within the County, where the County has placed a sign or signs prohibiting such operation;

h) No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle within any Environmental Reserve or on any school property;

i) All Off-Highway Vehicles traveling on a Highway shall be equipped with at least one headlight and one tail light, and no Off-Highway Vehicle shall operate on a
Highway unless the headlight and tail light are alight;

j) No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle unless the Operator is wearing a Safety Helmet securely attached on his or her head;

k) No person shall ride as a passenger of an Off-Highway Vehicle unless the passenger is wearing a Safety Helmet securely attached on his or her head; and

l) No person shall operate or be a passenger on an Off-Highway Vehicle where the number of persons on the Off-Highway Vehicle exceeds the number of persons
that the Off-Highway Vehicle is designed to carry;

m) No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on any Highway within a subdivision or hamlet, within the County where Council has authorized by
resolution, the erection of a sign or signs prohibiting such operation.

Complete Bylaw can be found here

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thsi line says it all : A snowmobiler is prohibited from riding on any portion of a highway (Section 120 (2)(b) of the Traffic Safety Act).

Now a highway is defined as , tree line to tree line. Now if you are just putting along and not making an a$$ of yourself, probley not an issue. But ripping down a hwy with skiis pointing stright up to the sky. You are gonna get nailed. This is what i was told by 4 RCMP when i was fighting a ticket for speeding past a lights flashing RCMP pulled off on the side of the road. Yes i beat the ticket and learned about ditch bang'in all in one stop.

:twocents:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Thsi line says it all : A snowmobiler is prohibited from riding on any portion of a highway (Section 120 (2)(b) of the Traffic Safety Act).

Now a highway is defined as , tree line to tree line. Now if you are just putting along and not making an a$$ of yourself, probley not an issue. But ripping down a hwy with skiis pointing stright up to the sky. You are gonna get nailed. This is what i was told by 4 RCMP when i was fighting a ticket for speeding past a lights flashing RCMP pulled off on the side of the road. Yes i beat the ticket and learned about ditch bang'in all in one stop.

:twocents:

UNLESS you are in the County of Parkland which has a bylaw allowing the operation of off road vehicles:

Any Qualified Person may operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on a Highway within the County, provided it is properly registered and insured under the Act, and subject to the following conditions:

bla

bla

We ride along the highway between Gainford and Wabamun all the time...no issues.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UNLESS you are in the County of Parkland which has a bylaw allowing the operation of off road vehicles:

Any Qualified Person may operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on a Highway within the County, provided it is properly registered and insured under the Act, and subject to the following conditions:

bla

bla

We ride along the highway between Gainford and Wabamun all the time...no issues.

Well that is great. I know the ditches can look sweet to ride. And i do not want to start a who owns what.. but .... im not sure that a county has rights over provincial hwy. But like i was told by the cops. Ride with respect and there probley wont ever be an issue. I asked this question to the cops because the iron horse trail is across the road from the lake lot and i wanted to know if i had to trailer sleds across the road. Now if i could only find away to get my sled from southside costco to hwy2 . id be set for riding to work.:eek:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was jumping 5 foot drifts, skis to the sky and the RCMP and Peace officer went right by me. I had the sled WOT with a can on my sled. They didnt do a thing. Ive crossed the highway with the RCMP being the next car coming and never done a thing. Leagal or not im doing it. And if i get a ticket ill fight it till the day i die. Alot worse things a guy can be doing out there then plowing over snow banks.

I phoned my buddy he is a peace officer in red deer. He said he would never give a ticket for it unless you were being a complet idiot. Like he said you can get a ticket for Everything. Its just if your not using your head.........

Top Bottom