Disaster friday night.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
garage burnt down ,with all my tools , new air compressor, tire machine. 2 sleds, quad, Gold Wing,parts> and friends 08 F150 we were putting a Tonneau cover on, I shut off the furnace and started draining the 10 yr old gas from the 66 Olympic, it went wooosh, do fast, just barely got out, went back in with all 3 of my fire extinguisers, no use, got burnt a bit, needed haircut anyway, phoned my insurance co, sat morning 9 am, they had a fencing crew at 10. make the area safe, roofs not stable..might fall on the Ford ....!!

anyone have spare snowmobile? Quad, Gold Wing ? hope there all covered,

Attachments

• Burnstoface_zps8871b2f4.jpg
    Burnstoface_zps8871b2f4.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 473
  • fencedgarage001_zpsd6f2b6c7.jpg
    fencedgarage001_zpsd6f2b6c7.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 469

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your ok. Did you have a trouble light on? The reason I asked is we have responded to fires caused by trouble lights and gas fumes.

Intrinsically safe lights are designed to eliminate "sparking" which can cause explosions in and around flammable conditions. Intrinsically safe lights are rated by Class, Division and Group. These ratings tell prospective users under what conditions the light will NOT cause explosions. For example, a Class 1, Division 1, Group D,E and F is a commonly required rating for the petrochemical industry, where specific types of flammable vapors may be present.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was a old style gas furnace, when I shut the power off to it, forgot that pilot light is still on, not like my 2 new ones in house and shop back in Barrhead? my fault.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks...hope insurance goes good for you

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to see you got out in time. Hair will grow back. I hope your insurance will cover all the equipment and parts. Good thing your garage is not attached to the house, that would have been a greater disaster.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow sorry for your loss! How close was the gas/sled to the furnace out of curiosity?

It's a wakeup call for me, I'm always filling my garage with gas fumes draining this filling that transferring fuel etc. I don't have a heater or any direct ignition sources but still sparks off the drill brushes or trouble light I never gave a whole lot of thought.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry about your loss,Glad you got out ok. It's weird that old gas would have lit like that.
Try to keep your head up and remember that tool's and sled's are very easily replaced.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what all the sirens were about friday evening. Looks like the most important thing made it out!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sad to here your mishap, happy to here your all covered, these days with so many things on the go, it's easy to do a little mistake and cause such a big loss... Has happened to me this year as well...

I left my helper combine one night, he worked less than a hr, called me and said he hit a rock.... Long story short header was totalled and loss was 150 grand... But still it's a big headache and pain in the but over all... Good luck

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and I just put up my Merry Christmas sign on the door too? and bought a new BRP modular helmet too..was in garage, .and matching coat...anyone want to buy a Ski Doo Coat size XL ( was in the house)

Attachments

• christmas garage door.jpg
    christmas garage door.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 190

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man your alive to see family and friends, anything else can be acquired the same way you got them, can be very difficult and frustrating as hell I understand. HEAD down ASS up has always been my approach. good luck

Top Bottom