Plumbing a Aux Slip tank on a '12 RAM...

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 50Gal Taylor Wings Aux tank.
Right now, I've got a manual block valve on the tank drain - that goes to a 12V 10 GPM pump and then to a gas station pump nozzle. (all 3/4" hose)

I'm looking to remove the pump nozzle and plumb the hose right into the 3/4" diesel filler vent line. (via 3/4" TEE)
(This summer, I put on a Tonneau cover and it's a big hassle to roll it up so I can access the hose, etc.)

My question is - If I'm pumping diesel at 10 GPM into the stock vent line - will I end up over pressuring the stock diesel tank somehow?
Maybe I'd have to put another TEE in the hose and have that 2nd Tee go back to one of the Aux tank vents?

Sounds like most guys gravity feed, but I've already got the diesel pump so I want to use that; takes about 3 minutes to fill up my tank from the Aux tank.

thanks,

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one on my dad's duramax goes from the aux. tank to the filler hose and is only fed by a pump about the same size as the old 6.4l chev. lift pumps. I say you would end up fing something up or blowing the hose off of the vent.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tank in the superduty i just gravity feed it thru the vent line i WOULDN'T run a pump my buddy has a pump and he forgets the switch on and has 100 liters of diesel everwhere :realmad: as for pressuring up the stock tank not sure about that i leave my valve open year round no leaks so far :)

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too just run the gravity feed. 3/8" line with a inline filter. My tank is only 100L and 95% of the time there is no grief. Only problem I have is if I fill up both tanks and park at home, the head pressure from the aux tank overflows the main tank slightly thru the main tank vent on top.(Small drip)This is just a summer thing. To get around this I bought a simple 12v switching valve like the ones on all the old dual tank Chevys and just plugged off one port. That way when the ign is off the valve shuts and prevents this. And I agree with Colin, I've heard of people losing a whole slip tank due to forgetting about filling the main with a elec pump. Your vent is prob 3/4, but I reduced the fill line to 3/8" at the T. It will keep my main tank full even while pulling a 31' camper. When it can't keep up, it's time to change the filter.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also just run a 1/2" gravity feed line from the aux tank into the vent line on the main gas tank. I have an inline 12v ball valve that I control from one of the aux switches in the cab. has worked great.

Nathansharkey

Reaction score
I too just run the gravity feed. 3/8" line with a inline filter. My tank is only 100L and 95% of the time there is no grief. Only problem I have is if I fill up both tanks and park at home, the head pressure from the aux tank overflows the main tank slightly thru the main tank vent on top.(Small drip)This is just a summer thing. To get around this I bought a simple 12v switching valve like the ones on all the old dual tank Chevys and just plugged off one port. That way when the ign is off the valve shuts and prevents this. And I agree with Colin, I've heard of people losing a whole slip tank due to forgetting about filling the main with a elec pump. Your vent is prob 3/4, but I reduced the fill line to 3/8" at the T. It will keep my main tank full even while pulling a 31' camper. When it can't keep up, it's time to change the filter.

My buddy was just fined for this in Valemont. He didn't have dual wall and the Slip tank wasn't bolted to the frame as it was ratchet strapped into his box and it was a gravity feed which is a big no no in BC. I don't know all the details yet. They were also harassing him about where he got the fuel from and why he brought fuel from Alberta in to BC.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy was just fined for this in Valemont. He didn't have dual wall and the Slip tank wasn't bolted to the frame as it was ratchet strapped into his box and it was a gravity feed which is a big no no in BC. I don't know all the details yet. They were also harassing him about where he got the fuel from and why he brought fuel from Alberta in to BC.

Sounds like another Vale P.D. ch!t show. I'm sure the whole province of BC gets fuel from Alberta refineries. Plus my tank was built in BC. It's attached to my tool box and both are directly bolted to the box. I had my wooden drawers built over top so really all you can see is the fill cap sticking out....sorry to hear about your buddy.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have the gravity feed 3/4" line with manual ball valve at the drain, open all year for 3 years and zero issues, best mod to the truck hands down.
As for the not bringing gas to BC??? That's half the reason I got the tank, I pulled my trailer around down there for 3 weeks this summer and didn't have to fill up with their over priced gas once.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I remove the cover on the top of the 50 gallon tank, this is what I see.
Anyone know which is what? I can't tell which is a rollover valve, diptube, vent, supply or return.
Taylor wings website is of no help - and the place I got it knows less.
Thoughts?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe go to valemount and the RCMP wil be able to identify it for you..lol

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have plumbed a couple custom tanks in and the best way is to remove stock fill assemble from truck and plumb directly into tank hoses this requires a couple fittings to be installed into aux tank 1 the same size as fill hose ie 1.5" or whatever yours is and also have a vent tube installed into aux tank allowing you to tie stock vent line into aux tank ensure vent is run fairly high into aux tank and DO NOT place it immediatly beside where your aux fill is as it will kick out the auto fuel fill nozzles a real pain in the ass I learned the hard way with this setup it is impossible for fuel to leak out of vehicle filler cap because it is not there you simply have to fill truck through aux tank

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I am getting a tank built for truck and need pics to show builder what and what not to do. So if Im only going to need a drain and a vent in tank. I need a pic drawn....................

rusty44

Reaction score
RDS Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank — Fits 1999–Current Ford and Dodge, and 2011–Current Chevrolet and GMC Trucks, Model# 011025 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tank Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment
Just installed slip tank today. Tied it in using this kit from northern tool. Very quick and easy install. Expensive for what you get , but saves lots of time. Don't have to drive all over looking for fittings. nrigged the one in my last truck, this one turned out much better.
Almost looks factory.

Top Bottom