Dirt bike regulations in Alberta-looking at getting an MX bike

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy am mx style front number plate with a headlight mount the plate. Above it and the cops will never bother you. Run the wires under the gas tank to no where we have been checked probably 20 times and if. They see a headlight and your plate they are happy never been asked to show them that it works besides. Bulbs do burn out especially on dirt bikes due to the vibrations

sideways

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the advice on lighting guys as I'm pretty certain I'm going with the 250r model. My last question, any issues getting a plate for a competition bike or is it as simple as bringing your proof of insurance/bill of sale to the registry as Suby said? I've actually never insured/registered any of my bikes in the past as I always just rode on private land.

Any ideas on the cost of insurance for an offroad bike or what type of coverage is recommended? I'm assuming most people just buy 6 months of insurance for their summer toys.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tracks are on private land so you don't need a plate or insurance. To race on crown land, cross countries and hare-scrambles, (in alberta) you need a plate and insurance but the races I've been to you get away without lights, for the race only.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been racing for a long time and riding the trails too.
I use my race bike and have no headlight or tail light.

Then again where I ride I have never had the 5-0 or anyone stop me or talk to me what so ever.

lol...never had anyone stop you cause you didn't stop... lol!!!

Sorry not trying to turn everyone into a bad guy but really someone else was on the forum's talking about getting a ticket for drift banging his sled near the hwy... wtf... cops actually get a guy to pull over after they wave him down when all he needed to do was brrrraapppp ... but no he does cause he's odviously an honest law abiding citizen and wham he gets a ticket... not me when they start shuttind down riding areas i will not be stopping for anyone... they can't chase drunks and stolen cars then they sure as hell can't chase a dirt bike for no headlights... sorry im steamed...

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do not need a class 6 motorcycle operators licence to ride an off highway motorcycle (dirt bike) in alberta you do need registration and insurance
some insurance companies require a motorcycle licence as well for some stupid reason

this is from the ab govt motorcycle operators handbook
Motorcycle Licensing and Operator Information

Learning to ride

A Class 6 licence is required to operate a motorcycle on a public roadway.

When learning to ride a motorcycle, a person must:

be at least 16 years old

hold a valid operator’s licence, this can be a Class 7 (learner’s)

have an instructor 18 years of age or older with a valid Class 6

non-Graduated Driver’s Licence (GDL) either seated on the bike, following

on another motorcycle, or in another motor vehicle.

Probationary riders

coop3422

Reaction score
What's a ballpark on what insurance would cost? I haven't had a dirt bike in more than 15 years and only rode when I went camping, so it was never insured or registered (might not have been needed that long ago in ontario). A couple buddies picked up quads so I want a dirt bike again, I figured I could buy something and just go ride lol. Guess now I need lights and insurance/registration so I'm curious on the cost to see if it's worthwhile. I'll be buying something used, probably around $1400-1800. Do dirt bikes have a title, or do I just need a written bill of sale?

Thanks all.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance on dirt bikes can really vary so you may have to call a bunch of companies
somewhere between 175-400 dpending on coverage

Jay-crf450r

Banned
Reaction score
you only need liability insurance to ride crown land, but places like bruderheim as its private land cops cant dish out tickets without a proper warrant to be executed on said private land. OH AND BTW,, never get asked by rcmp about headlights ,as for insurance, I pay for liability, fire & theft as I ride a 2012 crf450r through Nordic insurance I pay $671. for that. and a year old bike I qualify for $9500. for replacement. not bad..

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What makes you think Bruderheim is all private land? I think if you get stopped there you should defiantly tell them they need a warrant and see how that works for you lol.

Jay-crf450r

Banned
Reaction score
i talked with the rcmp last fall and also this winter as i studded my tires. they know not to question a guy like me, im one of them ruff azz biker, goat tee, bald head, pissed off looking type of guy, and when i asked if the government purchased the land they said no,,,so i said then i guess were both tresppassing right,, he gave me no comment as it would in criminate a police officer, they know better, guys like me wearing camera shades they watch what they say on camera.. and no i never got asked to show reg and insur as he knew that its penn west property..

Top Bottom