Directions to Cataract Creek

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been to cataract creek once before but it was quite some time ago and I was not driving. I would like to take to wife out to put some miles on the sleds and was hoping someone could give me directions on how to get there.

Thanks

fullmont

Reaction score
Go west of Longview for 45 kms, to the hiway closure, then turn left and drive south about 6kms to the Etherington parking lot. You can also drive past Etherington to the Cataract Creek parking lot, which is another 5kms or so. You can access the same trail system from either Etherington or Cataract.

TTRC

Reaction score
Go west of Longview for 45 kms, to the hiway closure, then turn left and drive south about 6kms to the Etherington parking lot. You can also drive past Etherington to the Cataract Creek parking lot, which is another 5kms or so. You can access the same trail system from either Etherington or Cataract.
take Hi-way 2 to black Diamond, south on HI-way 22 to longview,on the north side of that town is a secondary road, 541 west for 20 minutes, road blocked turn south to staging areas. There is a bed and breakfast to stay at, close to the staging area,
called The Highwood River Inn, good food and rates. you will pass by it 15 minutes west of longveiw, south side of the road 403-558-2456.

summit800hm

Reaction score
Just wondering what the conditions are like? How maney km of trails? Any grooming? Would like to check it out sometime.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out kananaskis country trail reports.There is enought trails to keep ya busy for a while.There should be a map on there web page.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the conditions are like? How maney km of trails? Any grooming? Would like to check it out sometime.

It's listed as GOOD at present and has a fair amount of trails. It was a little soft and slushy last Sun. as it was quite warm but some of the trails were real good. Here's some links for you --

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm on 22x and macleod (south end of calgary) and it takes me just over an hour...

did anybody go out today, any freshies from that storm that blew through today???

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm on 22x and macleod (south end of calgary) and it takes me just over an hour...

did anybody go out today, any freshies from that storm that blew through today???

would mind going to get my sleds soon and going for a rip
im in bridlewood sounds like we are neighbours

Captain-sno

Reaction score
take Hi-way 2 to black Diamond, south on HI-way 22 to longview,on the north side of that town is a secondary road, 541 west for 20 minutes, road blocked turn south to staging areas. There is a bed and breakfast to stay at, close to the staging area,
called The Highwood River Inn, good food and rates. you will pass by it 15 minutes west of longveiw, south side of the road 403-558-2456.

Hi-way 2 does not go to Black Diamond. But take hi-way 2 south of Calgary to the turn off (hi-way 2A) to Okotoks. At the south end of Okotoks take Hi-way number 7 to Black Diamond. Then follow the rest of the directions from above.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry but i may be reading the Fluz map incorrectly but Cateract creek is closed to sleds opens up Dec 1 to April 1, may save a few a ticket or so. correct me if i am wrong

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
sorry but i may be reading the Fluz map incorrectly but Cateract creek is closed to sleds opens up Dec 1 to April 1, may save a few a ticket or so. correct me if i am wrong

ITs open when there is snow.I saw the park ranger/fish and feathers. He just asked how the snow was. Never said anything else. From what i have heard you cant go over fording past untill Dec.....

Originally Posted by raceu4it
hope you had a good ride dave, by the way is there any signage regarding no riding till dec 1 or is that only at the south entrance to maclean?

I talked to forestry dude he said the fording pass is closed to sledding till Dec.
No problems riding from Cataract south.There was four guys with one sled taking turns racing through the parking lot with a four or five year old child with no helmets,insurance or plate that was getting a small book wrote for them by Ranger Bob.Kind of made me laugh as they graveled us while we were talking in the lot.Perfect definition of parking lot poser.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom