Diesel Engine Pre Heater

riffrraffing

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a kit for a diesel engine preheater/circulating heater for the new 2011 Ford F350 Diesel?

I have looked on the Webasto website and haven't been able to find any info. Is there any other brands?

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your likely going to have to make the universal espar or webasto kit work on your truck. As there is likely a kit out for the new Ford. Proheat is likely the best heater to work on, but the size of it is too big. Its meant for class 8 trucks, not 1/2tons. Also proheat will take up too much space, its about 12" deep, 24" wide. Would have to put it in the box. The other 2 heaters for 1/2tons are about the size of a loaf of bread.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Any one know the curent price for an Espar would be???

Looked at putting these in my KW and my Dodge. Last time I had a Proheat heater was in '95 and it was a POS. Both engine heaters and one for the bunk installed was $5500 through a reputable dealer. I don't have to much faith in these units anymore so I steered away. The electronics on any of these heaters doesn't seem to stand up like they should for what one pays for them. If you get a year out of it without any trouble your doing good.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Does anyone know if there is a kit for a diesel engine preheater/circulating heater for the new 2011 Ford F350 Diesel?

I have looked on the Webasto website and haven't been able to find any info. Is there any other brands?

Or you could do like many of us, just let em run...Last time we had real cold weather, I think mine ran for about 22 days straight...Shut it off to change oil lol

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked at Cummins Western Canada about an Espar for my 04 Dodge and they quoted me around $1200 for the kit and I later found out on a cummins forum that they can be had for much cheaper if you know where to look. I like the thought of jumping in my truck at -30 and having a warm engine and instant heat. We just received several Espar heaters to install on some of our equipment. The first one will be a Volvo A30D haul truck:) I don't know if Espar has a "kit" for the 6.7 PSD yet but I would think that one of their universal 12V heaters would work fine, just a matter of tapping into the fuel and coolant lines and getting a power source.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beware that the universal kits set a codeon the 6.4, but I am unsure about the 6.7. On the 6.4s the heater will set a code becuase the ecm is expecting the oil and coolant temperature to be close to each other for a cold start. I would check with the tech support with espar and webasto to see if they have had the same problem with the 6.7.

dutz106

Reaction score
installed a webasto onmy 08 6.4l. No special kit just plumbed it it. I had to call webasto for thier recomendations for where to plumb it in and they faxed a schematic. Works good. 3years now.

Summitboy

Reaction score
I run a Espar on a 5.9 Cummins. I used the specific kit for Dodge. The only thing the kit really gets you is the nice bracket that bolts to the frame with out drilling and a specific wiring harness that is plug and play. The install kit is 200 hundy from what i remember. I paid 1200 CDN for the heater and the install kit together. You will not really find it for cheaper than a 1000 CDN for just the heater. I used the place in Richmond called Cool It Highway. There are a couple other dealers you can try like Cummins and Polar in Edmonton and Calgary but they will be slightly more from what i remember.

I run mine with the blower on low and max heat and the engine is warm and windows are starting to defrost and the cab is slowly warming up which is nice. A lot of guys are worried about the blower being on but i still have my factory batteries from 2004 and i only killed them once because i ran the heater 3 times over 3 days without actually starting it. Since then i have never run the batteries down. I'm not sure how the Ford and Chev would be for this though.

As for the Fords we just made our own bracket and did the install. Its very easy to install and they work very well in the winter. You can get a Ford specific kit as well if you like. One thing to remember is buy the 7 day timer. It is awesome and can be hooked to a Command start, so you have the 7 day timer, manual start, and remote command start.

They are pretty slick units ! I'll never own another diesel without one !

markaug

Reaction score
Anyone know if Espar has a Duramax kit? Where is the best place to tie in for fuel and plumbing? Where is everyone mounting the heater unit on classic D-Max's?

gimmepowder

Reaction score
Anyone know if Espar has a Duramax kit? Where is the best place to tie in for fuel and plumbing? Where is everyone mounting the heater unit on classic D-Max's?

Yes, Espar has a Duramax kit. I have an Espar Hydronic 5KW heater in my '08 Duramax. I had it installed at Polar in Edmonton and if I remember correctly the kit alone was about $1400 without the install. The fuel line is connected directly to the truck's fuel tank (right beside the stock fuel line). The coolant lines are connected inline with the truck's heater core. The unit gets mounted to the frame under the cab on the passenger side of the truck.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you find one yet? Got mine for sale in the classifieds. Its a universal kit. As for mounting them on the frame, I wouldn't. Mine was mounted behind the headlight and got pretty dirty. I'd hate to see how dirty it would get that low and behind the front axle:eek:

Top Bottom