Diesel Engine Loss of Power

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 GMC 2500 diesel truck which does not have any power. Drove the truck about 12 miles today when the computer said " engine loss of power " and the engine light came on. Truck speed was 60 kms max after this.

Any suggestions or ideas what the problem is ?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
First thing I'd check is fuel.Filter could be plugged,could be froze up,maybe water in fuel???
My cummins did something similar recently and a new fuel filter fixed it.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
suck in snow in the air intake these dirtymaxes are famous for that then the go into limp mode :d

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did some reading on this and the guys are correct. Guess a little snow dust in the air intake screws up the MAP sensor. Pull the top off the air filter box and have a look. Apparently it doesn't take much moisture in these to cause havoc.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i should know we have that same truck and we put a cold air intake on it and its been good ever since and my buddy runs the same truck with stock air cleaner and he has the same problem not my first rodeo haaaa thats why i drive new f 350 no probs yet:d

dooski

Reaction score
My Dad had the same problem just take it to a gm dealer and they will fix it under warranty but in the summer you will have to change it back to your old one

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 GMC 2500 diesel truck which does not have any power. Drove the truck about 12 miles today when the computer said " engine loss of power " and the engine light came on. Truck speed was 60 kms max after this.

Any suggestions or ideas what the problem is ?

Yup snow sucker,put the winter front on,it helps.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad had the same problem just take it to a gm dealer and they will fix it under warranty but in the summer you will have to change it back to your old one

yea the fix is another lid for the air box that has 5 one inch holes drilled in it to allow heat from the engine to get to the filter.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Get it fixed under warranty.......... Could be iced up air filter if you've been banging snow drifts with the truck. Otherwise could be poor fuel, try some winter diesel fuel treatment. Could be plugged pfe(which is what i suspect)........good luck and keep us posted!

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked the air filter and it was dry / clean. I also pulled the battery cables off. The engine light still stays on so it must be something else wrong.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to my 08 duramax. ended up being the turbo charger! thank god for warranty, apparently the transmission has to be removed to remove the turbo.

inside

Reaction score
My 06 did that and it was a sensor iced up warrenty covered it but a 100 deductable and 45 worth of bill. I think the put a peice of hose over the end. There was some 08 that had trouble and it is a simple fix at the dealer that was covered. The fords never had trouble with senors, just the whole air filter freezing over.

TRAV

Reaction score
There can be alot of reason for the Duramax to go into reduced power. They have been known to freeze up the MAP sensor but if this happens the air filter will usually be wet. If the filter is dry I would suspect a different reason, anything from emissions to transmission to engine. Anything with the LMM duramax is also famous for particulate filter problems, differential pressure sensor or EGT sensor. If there is any way for you to check codes, with a code reader or programmer I can give you a better idea.

loffelbein88

Reaction score
First off u don't remove the transmission to remove turbo. The problem your having wit the engine reduced power is your map sensor freezing up. There is a tube the dealer installs on it to create a venturi so it doesn't ice up. There is also the dif air box lid wit holes in it to let engine heat onto and thru the air filter to help. Take it to the dealer they will scan it and do that for u. Haven seen the updated mad sensors back wit any more freezing up problems.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to my 08 duramax. ended up being the turbo charger! thank god for warranty, apparently the transmission has to be removed to remove the turbo.
it absolutly does not have to be removed to replace the turbo!you were fed a line for sure
i have never removed a single one in 10 yrs

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

wow if you believe that i have a piece of beach front property in tuktoyuktuk for sale too just sayin 16 years of automotive experience 10 if it diesels and there is more room in a new d max than an older one to remove turbo :nono: some one pulled your leg good

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then explain to me why my trans was indeed removed! not sayin your wrong but the trans was in fact removed from the truck by a gm dealer!

TRAV

Reaction score
only guess I have about the transmission being removed is the could not loosen the up-pipe bolts or they rounded one and removed the transmission for access. They shouldn't have needed to remove the transmission to replace the turbo

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that makes sense, i found a rounded off bolt on the cowl they left behind!

Top Bottom