Did These Bears need to be killed ?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen much more vicious dog fights, to me it looks like two brothers meeting up and continuing on with what they used to do when they were growing up together. When they run away they're not even running that fast, I've seen them released from traps, they can move!

Suburban black bear fight | Global News Video

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked right at it but didn't see this thread until after I posted mine, sorry.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unable to relocate them?.............................bull****!!! That its the norm in BC,bear raiding your garbage or apple tree,it dies,even momma's with cubs,they all die!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
They said on the news tonight there are 120,000 black bears in BC. How doo they count through the thick canopy? They doo count some and then extrapolate but how accurate is it?

As for those bears, IMHO, I didn't think they needed to shoot them. Tranquillize and try relocation.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They said they were both covered in blood on Global. I think they were dooing more than wrasslin'. They should have been relocated though.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm from the prairie so not much bear experience, but I know if there are coyotes in front of my house I'm grabbing a rifle. It sure as hell won't be a .22 though.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in bear country and know bears very well. They were not destroyed because they were fighting, they were destroyed because they became humanized. Once a bear becomes comfortable living around people, that bear becomes a very big hazard. Relocate them or not, they will find there way back to humans and go back to their old habits.

The biggest reason bears like to live around humans is we leave way to much garbage and easy food for them. Once they get used to the food soon they will challenge anything which gets in their way of the food, including you, your wife or your kids.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in bear country and know bears very well. They were not destroyed because they were fighting, they were destroyed because they became humanized. Once a bear becomes comfortable living around people, that bear becomes a very big hazard. Relocate them or not, they will find there way back to humans and go back to their old habits.

The biggest reason bears like to live around humans is we leave way to much garbage and easy food for them. Once they get used to the food soon they will challenge anything which gets in their way of the food, including you, your wife or your kids.

X2, thats correct, you could not relocate them bears because of exactly what stomping tom said. The problem isn't the bears...its the HUMANS.
"A fed bear is a dead bear" ,its just that simple, sad but true.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

X2, thats correct, you could not relocate them bears because of exactly what stomping tom said. The problem isn't the bears...its the HUMANS.
"A fed bear is a dead bear" ,its just that simple, sad but true.

This is all very true. But this day and age, it is the proper thing to doo to try and relocate the bear(s). Give the bears a second chance so to speak. A sow griz and 2 cubs were moved from Elkford a few years ago. They were moved past Moyie (300 kms away) and by the end of the summer they were back. They have not been put down and on their way back, they learned a little more about living in the bush and are doing just fine.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
working in the back yard last night and my wife yells at me to look behind me and come onto the deck. This is what was there. He left me alone and I left him alone. Picture shows he is farther from me but trust me it wasnt that far.

1004426_10152910365470175_1296493110_n.jpg

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you know that a very large majority of bears that are relocated are killed by other bears living in the area the bear is releast. This is also very true with bears that are urbanized.
Some times relocating a bear is like signing its death warrant. Its realy not an easy decission to make but one thing is for sure the bears survival is greatly diminished when humans interfere.
Unfortunely bears in urban areas are more common and will become more common, they are very dangerous as they have little fear of humans and are in many cases dependent on humans.
They are not the same as a wild bear so unfortunely they are in most cases dead bears, by either relocate or shooting. A tough decission but shooting them can in some cases save alot of realy bad issues such as starvation, getting mawled or seriouly injured by a wild bear or having another human encounter. Remember they generaly don't fear humans. food for thought.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is such a touchy subject, did the bears need to be killed...probably not until a relocation was attempted...likely the bears would have migrated back to an urban location...in fort st john a couple of years ago a grizzly had been relocated twice and ended up making a forested park in the middle of town home, it was put down...also the bear population in b.c is very healthy...in the north east there are a large number of black bears, almost enough to be a problem, there is a lot of competition for food. The area I am fortunate to be allowed to hunt, last fall an evening tour shocked my father and I, 42 visible bears in 1100 acres...the land owner and hunters tagged out 26 bears....the condition of the bears was shocking, a lot of the animals were thin for the time of year and and were scared up from fighting...the largest bear taken was really beat up but healthy. Relocation should be tried but doesn't always work in highly populated areas where food competition is intense. Its sad the animals died
but maybe the individuals involved felt relocation would also be a death sentence.

Top Bottom