Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369417473.755692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder if a small led light bar mounted under it would shine through enough?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet you could drop 20 lbs out of the stock hood system. Hood looks good from what I can see in the pic.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about air intake system? No headlight? No thanks. Be good for a turbo sled but messing with the intake system on an etec may be asking for trouble

I still don't understand why a different airbox would make it run like poo. Do they use an maf sensor in the etec? If so it may just have to be scaled properly for the new air flow.
If not as long as the piping was the same size to the throttle plates the size of the box it comes from shouldn't matter. The piping is going to be the tightest restriction in the system apart from plugging off the intake screens.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why a different airbox would make it run like poo. Do they use an maf sensor in the etec? If so it may just have to be scaled properly for the new air flow.
If not as long as the piping was the same size to the throttle plates the size of the box it comes from shouldn't matter. The piping is going to be the tightest restriction in the system apart from plugging off the intake screens.

Not saying it will run like poo. Just talking with a few folks the design of the air intake system is critical

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to pull my hood and look at it to see what all is there.
I just don't see what is so damned special about an ETec that makes it impossible to make a smaller lighter airbox.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just don't see what is so damned special about an ETec that makes it impossible to make a smaller lighter airbox.

Nothing... It's just a air box. It is shaped the way it is for sound. There is a sensor on the intake tube but it is only for a air intake temp. You can pulln that sensor out of the tube and put it anywhere and will still run fine. It's is nice to see from diamond s, the xm hood weigh way too much.

if they could pull close to 20lbs off then you wold be nearing the 08/09 weights when paired with a can. Be nice if the could put a windshield on

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After waiting years for a storage area the one given appers to be gone with this hood along with headlight and the already tiny windshield. Will do wonders to get rid of heat though and looks good from the one pic. Just depends on what you want.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't really seen heat being a problem on the XM like it was on the Revs and XP's.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are bunch of pics on SW of this. Looks good with the gauges integrated just need to add a headlight. I want one but don't even have my XM yet lol.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think you could accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost by just making a lexan or (material side panels are made out of) shell. I have a BR Tech hood on my XP and it wieghs next to nothing. Although I would NOT recommend BR tech to anyone so hopefully someone else makes them. I drilled lots of tiny holes in mine so it has tonnes of venting, doesnt let snow in, and it sheds snow great.

Cool product but I think its detailed construction is kind of overkill.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had mine apart on bench. I'd like to get my hands on a airbox cheap one with damage or something then I'd take dremel to it and see what I could do. Think it would be easy to almost gut except a skeleton to fasten in. Then make a new intake from the horn in Center over to maf/ box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one for 500$ new from a guy, didn't end up putting it on his sled then sold his sled. Putting it on 1200 turbo, so hoping will keep snow out and let heat out.

Top Bottom