Diamond Drive removal and inspection tortural

Giv'er

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I just took apart the drive yesterday and the 6203 looked good! It had a little bit of slop in it, and maybe slightly rough, but I replaced it anyways...with an SKF 6203 so I should be good for a little while. Even the new one had a little play in it but it felt smoother. I ordered the 4203 from commercial bearing.....they found some in Ontario. I'll put that one in next year.

Taking the cover off just to clean the crap out of there is reason enough to do this every year! One less thing to worry about.

Giver

DragonSmoke

Reaction score
Hi, great post. All I can say is that its pretty much the same with the 2010/2011's. I just took my 2010 M8 apart as I have heard there are problems with the bearings going (The dealer denies any problems). With a trip to the hills in the near future an oil change was imminent anyway. This is what I found, glad it happened here not in 4' of snow.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 505

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, great post. All I can say is that its pretty much the same with the 2010/2011's. I just took my 2010 M8 apart as I have heard there are problems with the bearings going (The dealer denies any problems). With a trip to the hills in the near future an oil change was imminent anyway. This is what I found, glad it happened here not in 4' of snow.

How many kms on the sled? I have the thought of the DD bearing piling up in the back of my mind, don't want it going out in the backcountry...:nono:

MattM

Reaction score
Great stuff was fairly difficult to get the DD out after the bolts were off. but it came along. Got the silicone cureing right now then I will add oil and get it put back in tomorrow after work hopefully it all goes well.

Matt

eforwell

Reaction score
Dragonsmoke, great post and the pics really give you an idea of how bad those bearings are! What bearing did you use to replace the shot one & spacer?

eforwell

Reaction score
Also, just wondering how tight to put the DD, the shaft back through the brake rotor as well as the clutch when I am putting it all together? Might tackle this myself when the bearing comes in!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Just a question...if i was to pull the dd cover off,,can you see all the bearings to look for damage?And is it possible to get the outer case off with out totally removing the whole deal?

Uptown

Reaction score
Yes u can but it is highly recommended to take the whole unit out. Its not that difficult to remove. take the clutch off then you have access to the DD. theres a piece to remove in the footwell so u can remove the DD. My 2010 m8 bearing was blown and fillings were all over. U should remove the unit and clean it thoroughly. the bearing is easy to spot its the one that sits right in the planetary gears, stock on mine is a 6203, imprinted on the rubber seal. Im replacing with the BDX kit, has a 5203 double row bearing is place of the 6203. looks like i need to take about mm off the track shaft for proper fitment.( just put a post about issue on here)
hope that helps!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the measurements of the bdx 5203 bearing are (ID, OD, width)? I'm sure commercial solutions would have that size readily in stock.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just go to bc bearing and tell them i need 5203 bearing and it is 16 bux
Does anyone know what the measurements of the bdx 5203 bearing are (ID, OD, width)? I'm sure commercial solutions would have that size readily in stock.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just go to bc bearing and tell them i need 5203 bearing and it is 16 bux

Thats what i thought until i started looking on ebay for 5203 and there are different sizes. the most common one is bore:17mm O.D:40mm width 17.5 mm and then there are some that are 17x40x20.6 and 17x47x17.5

Top Bottom