Desire for EVs rises with gas price

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This part , utterly false and ridiculous ! And I repeat, these are the type of comments that people desperate to make a weak argument use .

So what's wrong with it, you keep saying it's ridiculous, but why? People don't get rid of their cars when they become too expensive to fix?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's wrong with it, you keep saying it's ridiculous, but why? People don't get rid of their cars when they become too expensive to fix?
Sometimes they may but it would be a rare case and they will get rid of the EV’s when they get to expensive also I. Some cases . Surprised you’re asking , but if you think people are throwing away their 10 year old vehicle cause they need a motor repair , you are either very unaware of reality , or silly rich , because to argue all 10 year old cars and trucks are throw aways because of motor repairs is as said , ridiculous.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes they may but it would be a rare case and they will get rid of the EV’s when they get to expensive also I. Some cases . Surprised you’re asking , but if you think people are throwing away their 10 year old vehicle cause they need a motor repair , you are either very unaware of reality , or silly rich , because to argue all 10 year old cars and trucks are throw aways because of motor repairs is as said , ridiculous.

If your self driving robot needs a battery for $7k and it’s worth $70k you gonna haul it to the dump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your self driving robot needs a battery for $7k and it’s worth $70k you gonna haul it to the dump?

Teslas just make the car $200k to make a $20k battery replacement easy to rationalize. The solution is simple, don’t be poor.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teslas just make the car $200k to make a $20k battery replacement easy to rationalize. The solution is simple, don’t be poor.

$200k if you want the quickest production car in the world. Pretty reasonable actually. Gets 99mpg too.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Work/commercial vehicles are a different matter, if I'm not mistaken though this thread is related to consumer/commuter vehicles.
The topic is “the desire for EV going up with gas prices”.

Commercial and pickups are an important part of this topic.

At the moment, Majority of the EVs are cars, the rivian is extremely cool, but Is it work truck worthy??? Can I get access to a charge port while towing my 37ft travel trailer???
I dunno. To expensive and experimental for me to find out. Now a diesel electric hybrid is something I am interested in trying, I feel the ford powerboost is pretty neat technology.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting facts, a rivian towing a 7500lbs trailer is less efficient than a ford powerboost towing the same trailer, in trailer tow mode the power boost is all gas engine, no electric backup.

It only cost 4.50c more fuel up the power boost over the EV over the same 60mile test course, I would consider the drive to be similar to driving to Calgary, those conditions.
What they didn’t talk about was how long it took to charge the rivian. They did show the stats, It took almost 50min, to charge after a 60 mile drive using a level 2 DC charger. Imagine how long and how many charge stations would be needed to get to revy towing a sled trailer.
They started at 85% capacity, not really sure why, and after 60 miles the battery had 33% left., it was charged back up to 85%.

From what I just watched, EV truck will pass everything while towing, except a charge station.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And if you or anyone you know is throwing away 10 year old vehicles to the scrap yard because they need motor work , maybe make that known , I suspect you gonna have quite a few guys willing to take them off your hands.

And to your suppositions and guesses as to what possible used second hand future self driving robot cars that will be worth $70000 after you buy $7000 replacement batteries. ??????? I certainly respect your knowledge and experience when it comes to EV issues, but this scenario Sounds a bit contrived and convenient .

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reality .

Attachments

• 86B40FFD-17E8-405A-B799-88CFF5D1C2CB.jpeg
    86B40FFD-17E8-405A-B799-88CFF5D1C2CB.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 86

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any way yah yah look at it, if the price of EV cars do not come down, it’s cheaper to buy and run a civic.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's cheaper to buy, not cheaper to run.

It’s Cheaper anyway yah look at it.
Even at todays gas prices, that’s a lot of fuel that can be put The tank.

Remember what I mentioned in another post when the cost of tow a trailer was 4 dollars more over the 60mile course to run a f-150 over a rivian. It was .50c/kWh at the level 2 charger.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s Cheaper anyway yah look at it.
Even at todays gas prices, that’s a lot of fuel that can be put The tank.

Remember what I mentioned in another post when the cost of tow a trailer was 4 dollars more over the 60mile course to run a f-150 over a rivian. It was .50c/kWh at the level 2 charger.

That is one test done by a YouTuber. That is not a be all end all of EV vs ICE cost comparisons.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 6.57.03 AM.png

The cost to drive 25 miles is ONLY in fuel. That does not include all the other ICE vehicle maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, belts, brakes, transmission service, etc)
In 2027 when you go to sell both of these vehicles, which one will hold its value better? Look at Kijiji.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is one test done by a YouTuber. That is not a be all end all of EV vs ICE cost comparisons.

View attachment 255096
The cost to drive 25 miles is ONLY in fuel. That does not include all the other ICE vehicle maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, belts, brakes, transmission service, etc)
In 2027 when you go to sell both of these vehicles, which one will hold its value better? Look at Kijiji.

That’s a realistic test In the real world with real world results, not a estimated engineered value.

It’s a cause and effect, what will have better resale after 5 years. A 90k gmc Denali 3500 diesel or a 1500 gmc gas truck with both having 100k on the clock.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the civic annual fuel cost is 1900 and model 3 being 500 Where is the break even point? $1400 a year for 20 years is 28k so now the price is getting closer. To long of a payback for me.

I own an f150 powerboost and am all for EV’s if the economics make sense but since I live in rural northern Alberta I don’t think it will be for me anytime soon. However I wish my f150 was a PHEV and that will likely be the wife’s next vehicle. Best of both worlds charge at home for standard power rates and never buy gas for short duration trips but won’t have to wait around charging on longer drives.

I looked into a Mach E for the wife but we just don’t have the charging networks yet and I’m not into waiting around for 45-50 minutes to charge.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the civic annual fuel cost is 1900 and model 3 being 500 Where is the break even point? $1400 a year for 20 years is 28k so now the price is getting closer. To long of a payback for me.

I own an f150 powerboost and am all for EV’s if the economics make sense but since I live in rural northern Alberta I don’t think it will be for me anytime soon. However I wish my f150 was a PHEV and that will likely be the wife’s next vehicle. Best of both worlds charge at home for standard power rates and never buy gas for short duration trips but won’t have to wait around charging on longer drives.

I looked into a Mach E for the wife but we just don’t have the charging networks yet and I’m not into waiting around for 45-50 minutes to charge.

a lot more to consider than fuel. 150$ oil changes, transmission and diff services, etc etc... that stuff adds up quick. Range is still the factor for most. Myself included

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A civic oil change cant be 150$... thats what it costs in my dodge. And If i did it my self it wouldnt be half that

Im not a compact car guy, but had a honda prelude back in the day. Didnt ever change the oil or do any maintence and thing would not die.

Teslas are nice, not the most economical though.

Top Bottom