Desire for EVs rises with gas price

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what that big fawkoff battery pack will cost when it’s time.

Make sure to pro-rate your “nearly zero maintenance” with this expense. And don’t just say you’ll sell it before the battery needs replacing - some poor bastard is going to have to do it some day.

Any idea what new battery costs, including environmental disposal fee of the old one?
Buddy has a Tesla in hongcouver, hit a Edmonton size pot hole and light came on.
dealer said no warranty,clam for a crash or $28k to replace the battery due to a cell coming apart from the jolt. I’m like now how’s that $100k car treating you. Very cost efficient I see.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has a Tesla in hongcouver, hit a Edmonton size pot hole and light came on.
dealer said no warranty,clam for a crash or $28k to replace the battery due to a cell coming apart from the jolt. I’m like now how’s that $100k car treating you. Very cost efficient I see.

Yikes!

So, in the case that we take that 300,000km Tesla and work in a $28,0000 battery replacement, we’ll take jkurkot’s $0.04/km operating cost and increase it by $0.093/ km for a realistic total of $0.133/km.

Jesus…the Vette is cheaper to operate and pulls 50X the pussy that the golf cart does. 😂

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for those potholes…

626161f55c9d561d6fb1503d9d1a0a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they don’t want it to work.

There are other ways of making hydrogen, not just with electric, it’s a byproduct of some processes as well.

It's a byproduct of energy intensive processes, elemental hydrogen doesn't come naturally on earth unless it is produced using vast quantities of energy, or directly from fossil fuels.

Which is exactly why EVs will be favoured. When hydrogen is half as efficient as a Lithium battery, it won't have a leg to stand on solely due to energy cost.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cost to replace a battery pack would at the moment not be economical, I read its 20k to replace a battery pack on a EV when the vehicle is properly worth that much when it’s time for a battery replacement. IMO EV’s at the moment are a lot like windmills, they get buried when their life span is complete.

So just like a normal vehicle then, when the engine in a 10 year old car fails the whole thing is often scrapped, because the new engine costs more than the car is worth.

Not sure why we'd bury them though, almost the entire car is recyclable, just like all cars today.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10yr old car? My vehicles range from 14 to 19yrs old and still going strong on original motors.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a byproduct of energy intensive processes, elemental hydrogen doesn't come naturally on earth unless it is produced using vast quantities of energy, or directly from fossil fuels.

Which is exactly why EVs will be favoured. When hydrogen is half as efficient as a Lithium battery, it won't have a leg to stand on solely due to energy cost.

EV will be favoured by the city slickers, hydrogen or hybrids will be favoured by fleets and workers.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EV will be favoured by the city slickers, hydrogen or hybrids will be favoured by fleets and workers.

You could never drive an EV from Lethbridge to Revelstoke. Especially in the winter.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could never drive an EV from Lethbridge to Revelstoke. Especially in the winter.

You can in a car, I know you have done it.

I’m talking about truck technology.

I’m 1/2 ton pickups, all we have right now is the powerboost ford, and the rivian which is 130k Can.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Where do you refuel these hydrogen vehicles though? I've yet to see a hydrogen fuel station. Hydrogen is an incredibly difficult gas to store because the molecule is so small, it causes many issues in normal steels, up to and including hydrogen blistering and leakage.

Fueling is often a point criticized with EV's, but with very limited exceptions every place there is civilization there is electricity and therefore an opportunity to build charging infrastructure.

I'd bet on ammonia as a widescale transportation fuel over hydrogen, energy density is higher, cryogenic storage is not required to maintain it in the liquid form, and its already more available as it is used as a fertilizer.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can in a car, I know you have done it.

I’m talking about truck technology.

I’m 1/2 ton pickups, all we have right now is the powerboost ford, and the rivian which is 130k Can.

400mile range Rivian can’t be taken out of city limits either?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow there are hydrogen stations everywhere. This is the perfect car for a road trip

ba23d35319fa5222ed98278800df15f7.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
400mile range Rivian can’t be taken out of city limits either?

I’m not sure What this has to do with FLEET vehicles
People actually use trucks for work.
Not going to be fun When I’m sitting on a oil lease in a EV freezing my ass off in the winter, cause there is no pole to plug into, or no battery power to engage my PTO to do any work.

Maybe electric hybrid like the powerboost, that would be cool tech in a diesel for a work truck, trucks that actually do work, and are not pavement princesses

There are companies that are developing this technology, and even major oil companies are getting involved.

Here is Kenworths hydrogen truck.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just like a normal vehicle then, when the engine in a 10 year old car fails the whole thing is often scrapped, because the new engine costs more than the car is worth.

Not sure why we'd bury them though, almost the entire car is recyclable, just like all cars today.
This is the kind of ridiculous argument and gross exaggerations so many proponents of alternative powered vehicles use. Fossil fueled vehicles will have their place for a long long time to come, especially for the realists who use a vehicle to produce and create so many of the products and components the EV users would have no way of obtaining without the use of that fossil fuel.
Certain circumstances they have their place , but this headlong rush to eliminate IC vehicles is just so Unrealistic and anti common sense it makes you wonder how people get so blinded.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of ridiculous argument and gross exaggerations so many proponents of alternative powered vehicles use. Fossil fueled vehicles will have their place for a long long time to come, especially for the realists who use a vehicle to produce and create so many of the products and components the EV users would have no way of obtaining without the use of that fossil fuel.
Certain circumstances they have their place , but this headlong rush to eliminate IC vehicles is just so Unrealistic and anti common sense it makes you wonder how people get so blinded.

What part was an exaggeration or ridiculous? If a 10 year old $10k car needs a $12k engine replacement most people are going to send that car to the scrapper, who will in turn part out anything valuable in the car, and sell the rest for the value of its raw materials.

Work/commercial vehicles are a different matter, if I'm not mistaken though this thread is related to consumer/commuter vehicles.

Regardless, the rules for medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles are different, and the target of 100% ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) for them is 2040, with exemptions to be given where ZEV is not feasible. One also has to look at the governments definition of a ZEV, currently a plug in hybrid qualifies as a ZEV. So all any manufacturer has to do is take their current ICE products and add a plug in hybrid powertrain (which most manufacturers are currently exploring anyway) and that will meet the government mandate. So you could buy one of these plug in hybrids and never plug it in, and run solely on gas or diesel.

Transport Canada, defines “zero-emission vehicles” as “a vehicle that has the potential to produce no tailpipe emissions. They can still have a conventional internal combustion engine, but must also be able to operate without using it.”

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The government has an interesting definition of “zero”.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You think his battery has a loose cell?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What part was an exaggeration or ridiculous? If a 10 year old $10k car needs a $12k engine replacement most people are going to send that car to the scrapper, who will in turn part out anything valuable in the car, and sell the rest for the value of its raw materials.

Work/commercial vehicles are a different matter, if I'm not mistaken though this thread is related to consumer/commuter vehicles.

Regardless, the rules for medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles are different, and the target of 100% ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) for them is 2040, with exemptions to be given where ZEV is not feasible. One also has to look at the governments definition of a ZEV, currently a plug in hybrid qualifies as a ZEV. So all any manufacturer has to do is take their current ICE products and add a plug in hybrid powertrain (which most manufacturers are currently exploring anyway) and that will meet the government mandate. So you could buy one of these plug in hybrids and never plug it in, and run solely on gas or diesel.

Transport Canada, defines “zero-emission vehicles” as “a vehicle that has the potential to produce no tailpipe emissions. They can still have a conventional internal combustion engine, but must also be able to operate without using it.”

This part , utterly false and ridiculous ! And I repeat, these are the type of comments that people desperate to make a weak argument use .

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just in Sedona , on a Wednesday , but still quite busy even for an early spring day. Vehicles everywhere of all shapes and sizes , and lots of Tesla’s ( I don’t recognize many other EV’s) . Google says there’s 48 charging stations in or near Sedona , the number of Tesla’s alone would have kept them full 24 hrs a day. Talked to a couple EV owners while there and in Jerome , everyone of them said they love the car and power delivery , but we’re sick of the planning , the structuring each outing route , and especially the waiting in line . We saw 3 stations , all 3 looked like they had pretty long line ups .
Gas was expensive , but readily available , with no line ups . Tons of Tesla’s in Phoenix area , more this winter than ever and they make sense here , but in Alberta and most of western Canada , they are really IMO, an expensive , feel good greeny toy.

Top Bottom