demo impressions

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 2017 summits have been making the rounds anyone care to post up there impressions who did get to ride them. I know they have been making the rounds in sicamous. Please post where you have ridden one which model and compare it to your current ride on what you see as improvements or less likely things you may have been disappointed with. I saw it up in owlhead the day my 174 got swiped but they ran out of waivers so I could not pilot it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran out of waivers, boy something like that

They better bring lots every ride lol

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Little surprised no one has chimed in kinda expected Curtis or maxwell to chime in are there other sleds circulated or is it just ckmp?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the 2017 models on thursday. Sleds there were 154 3", 165 2.5", and 165 3". I rode the first 2 in the hills and only rode the 65 3 inch on the trail. It was a hot commodity and I saw one dude climbing some crazy hills with it so I could tell it was working well. The engine RIPS... holy **** does that thing move. It is crazy fast throttle response and the power is unreal for a stock sled. I don't doubt for a second that the new doo will out climb my axys. The handling is better than the current T3 sleds. If you love your t3 this sled is an improvement in every possible way. Also pretty impressed with the maintenance free clutch as I've been rebuilding my polaris clutch every 600 miles. Ok now the bad unfortunately.. I really wanted to love this sled however when sidehilling it still feels like a T3. That means it holds edge and it will go up but I could not make the front ski dip down like I can on the axys. Yes I was standing on the front of the boards and giving a shot of brakes. 90% of my riding is on one ski so unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise I really liked this sled and it's a fantastic machine. Just not for me this year. The skidoo crowd has a lot to be excited about and I'm sure they will be out climbing me on my Polaris next winter :)

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw them at the Petro in Valemount yesterday morning...a person fitting the description of the Max was there as well haha.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the 2017 models on thursday. Sleds there were 154 3", 165 2.5", and 165 3". I rode the first 2 in the hills and only rode the 65 3 inch on the trail. It was a hot commodity and I saw one dude climbing some crazy hills with it so I could tell it was working well. The engine RIPS... holy **** does that thing move. It is crazy fast throttle response and the power is unreal for a stock sled. I don't doubt for a second that the new doo will out climb my axys. The handling is better than the current T3 sleds. If you love your t3 this sled is an improvement in every possible way. Also pretty impressed with the maintenance free clutch as I've been rebuilding my polaris clutch every 600 miles. Ok now the bad unfortunately.. I really wanted to love this sled however when sidehilling it still feels like a T3. That means it holds edge and it will go up but I could not make the front ski dip down like I can on the axys. Yes I was standing on the front of the boards and giving a shot of brakes. 90% of my riding is on one ski so unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise I really liked this sled and it's a fantastic machine. Just not for me this year. The skidoo crowd has a lot to be excited about and I'm sure they will be out climbing me on my Polaris next winter :)

Johnny, you should mention the engine fade you told me about. Maybe a built in protection for the motor? I know you would have that thing to the bars for minutes straight and it was likely a warm day.

GregW

Reaction score
Good ride impression info, how would you rate it's climbing ability compared to a T3 174, how much better is it and why?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Johnny, you should mention the engine fade you told me about. Maybe a built in protection for the motor? I know you would have that thing to the bars for minutes straight and it was likely a warm day.

Sounds like break-in mode programming....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bentwrench

Reaction score
I just spent 2 days on them, the 154 will give 174's a run and the 165 kills it climbing in hip deep heavy snow; the new motor/ clutch combo flat out rip, actually got arm pump from hanging on it pulls very hard, I found out quickly that it takes very little body input to make this chassis move around and that side hilling across old tracks is much more stable with little to no signs of washing out; riding in the trees in the deep snow the sled pops out of the snow like no skidoo ever has, you can actually slow down to an almost stop while climbing, change direction and throttle up and it will pop out and go
with very little trenching, needless to say I was very impressed with the overall package and it was hard to go back to XM, it felt heavy and slow. Brp got my snocheck....well done

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have they addressed the "ski goes vertical, rider goes ass over tea kettle" issue? Any changes in the spindle/ski bushing area?

GregW

Reaction score
Remember seeing one review video clip where they spoke specifically about the fix for that problem, extra bit of plastic molded into the ski to stop that nonsense.

Rulonjj

Reaction score
Can you elaborate?

When the ski hits something(a small stump, branch, hard snow, soft snow, air,ect) it will go vertical with the ski tip pointing straight up and the rider will go flying while the sled stops very quickly and then sits there and laughs at the poor rider. It often makes a bruised chest and belly from the bars or brings the elusive Rocky Mountain scorpion out of hibernation and makes an awesome rider look like an amature. :)

Last edited:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to go to CKMP and ride the 154 and 65 3' last weekend, we rode the Blue Lake area, most impressive.......Not only is the engine/clutching/throttle response awesome, but the new chassis is sweet. I was switching back and forth between XM t3's and the Gen 4 all afternoon, and I always wanted the Gen 4 back when I was riding the T3.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As a "preferred customer" or Ambassador for Bow Ridge Sports in Cochrane, AB, I was invited to go on the demo ride at CKMP in Malakwa, BC on March 12, 2016. I was thrilled and nervous, as I knew it would cost me some coin! The last time I was invited, compliments of Mr.R's, I ended up snow checking two sleds that year. That was the introduction of the T-Motion and Flex edge track. My wife had such a big grin on her face from riding the new technology, that we where convinced two new sleds would be a lot of fun. We were not sorry for our decision that spring.

It started out bright and early in Carl's great complex, with Carl himself explaining the new changes coming for 2017 and what will probably change from the prototypes when the final production goes into swing. I am not the dude to elaborate on the technological advances to the power train (that has been well documented by other more knowledgeable people than myself on the many pages/videos that are floating around) and physical attributes to the new iron. I know the fit and finish from BRP will be great. What I really want to know is how it rides and handles in the hills and trees. I am not a climber so to speak. I will climb to get somewhere that I want to go but chute climbing is not my forte. I did not ride the new sleds on the trail. IMHO, they all suck on the whoops and nothing short of a Piston Bulley will smooth out the ride to the top.

As 'steel town' mentioned, we were in the Blue Lake riding area and Cummings Lake in particular. Also the big hills around the Blue Lake cabin. Both prototypes were Summit X's with the 3" lug in the two available lengths of 154" and 165". My first test ride was on the 2017 154". Wow, what a fun sled! Instantaneous throttle response and highly responsive on the snow to 'body language'. This sled rocks but it wasn't for me nor my wife. We do not ride WOT and we need time for decision making and a longer track for a little forgiveness in the trees that we ride in the Kootenays. On to the 165" for the next ride.

Let me tell you, I was impressed. You guys know that my blood is yellow but it is that way for a reason. I have bought 7 new sleds since the XP in 2008 and all I have done is gas and oil and regular maintenance. Ride anywhere from 50-75 days a year with about 3000-4000 km/year. I have a good feel for the sleds I have ridden and the 2017 prototype was a no brainer. So much easier to ride. So much more responsive. So much more fun. One trip around the lake in the wind blown snow along the edges (you know the places that most are too timid to go to) and that chit-hook grin was on my face all day long. The carving was effortless and just like you see in the movies. Man did my riding ever improve in about 3 minutes!

I had to get into the trees. The trees around Cummings Lake are not as tight and daunting as they are in the Kootenays. Lots of room to manoeuvre with nice sharp climbs and lots of lines. It is a tree riders heaven. The 165 was a dream. I did not need throttle response power but I knew it was there and could feel it when I used it but that was seldom. This track and sled are awesome. The floatation is still there as compared to the 174" (my present ride) but the response to the body language is unbelievable. Put a little pressure on a foot and over it goes. Not a way over but a "controlled over" and an "effortless over". The narrow body and higher centre of gravity and more attention to balancing the weight throughout the chassis with the 16" wide track has produced a beauty. It is not scary nor uncontrollable tippy. It is very user friendly kind of tippy and very controlled by the weight or force that you use. A little weight transfer to your foot and over it goes a little bit. A little more weight transfer to your foot or a little more pull on the bars, the sled goes over accordingly. I heard a story at CKMP about Carl's desire to design a mountain sled that his dad would enjoy in his later years and not be tired at the end of the day. Well tired but not burnt out sort of thing. This is the machine; effortless in the trees and a lot of fun. I was in trouble............

I was riding for two of us. The initial idea was to replace my wife's 2014 163" Summit XMX and I had to make the decision for her this year. She loved that machine as it wasn't as big as the 174", yet big enough to keep her floating in the trees and still small enough for her carve up the meadows. This 2017 prototype 165" with the 850 sitting in the front was going to be ideal for her and her riding style. How will we handle just one new machine in the stable next winter?

When I told snopro that I will have to snow check two of the 2017 Summit XG4 165" with the 850 power plant in black, he had as big a grin on his face as I did when I was out riding the new iron. Damn, those demo rides are expensive!

Phone or talk to snopro (Ken at 403-485-8357) and/or the owner Byron (403-932-2019) at Bow Ridge Sports in Cochrane. You won't be disappointed in the service nor in the price. A great dealer and great people. The allotment will go fast so don't dilly-dally.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
When the ski hits something(a small stump, branch, hard snow, soft snow, air,ect) it will go vertical with the ski tip pointing straight up and the rider will go flying while the sled stops very quickly and then sits there and laughs at the poor rider. It often makes a bruised chest and belly from the bars or brings the elusive Rocky Mountain scorpion out of hibernation and makes an awesome rider look like an amature. :)

Yes there is a fix to address this, It is a aluminum shim that prevents this from happening. cheers dave

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I told snopro that I will have to snow check two of the 2017 Summit XG4 165" with the 850 power plant in black, he had as big a grin on his face as I did when I was out riding the new iron. Damn, those demo rides are expensive!

Phone or talk to snopro (Ken at 403-485-8357) and/or the owner Byron (403-932-2019) at Bow Ridge Sports in Cochrane. You won't be disappointed in the service nor in the price. A great dealer and great people. The allotment will go fast so don't dilly-dally.

Hehe...sure did a 180 from last week where you were certain you were only going to order one and had yourself convinced your 174 was good for another year...no wonder they invite you on these rides! :)

Top Bottom