Damaged Doo

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Went out riding over the New Years break with my new XM. It ran great but unfortunately I had a little run in with a large washout on an old logging road. Caught on the upside, stopped suddenly and ended up over the bars. No injury on my part but my A-arms are out of alignment now probably 1 1/2 - 2 inches from where things should be.
Right now the shock on the side that took the impact is forward inside the A-arms and the one on the opposite side is slightly back. Looked underneath and saw that my s-module is cracked in a couple spots. Wondering what the chances are that there's greater damage than just the s-module or can that on its own cause that great of a misalignment? Just trying to decide whether I should bother claiming this on insurance or just take it to the dealer and pay up out of pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is going to the dealer no matter what then call your insurance. Tell them what is up and go to the dealer for a quote. If the quote is high then go through insurance, if it isn't then pay for it.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Yeah good point guess I should just let them know either way. Hopefully if it's an insurance claim they don't make me bring the sled back to an adjuster before the shop can do their thing. Ideally it'll just be the s-mod then I'm all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever the quote is leave it there and the insurance will go there to see it. Dont waste your time hauling it around for the insurance. Thats there job to go see it.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit a big rock on my 13 a couple years ago 1800$, I paid. How much would I get rated on everything else I have insured. Makes you wonder why you pay it at all. In the end, you pay someone.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be able to tell if further damage by looking to see if the front panel of the tunnel is damaged, if it is not then do a track alignment inspection and go from there. Remove your hood and look at the structure and see if anything has been kinked or looks stressed. Check things out and fix yourself if you have the means, insurance claim will cost you minimum double the just stretch it out for you over 5 years of premiums

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy hit a rock this last Monday on a epic deep day

Broke good,

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420815063967.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420815063967.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 751
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420815075046.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420815075046.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 752

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Should be able to tell if further damage by looking to see if the front panel of the tunnel is damaged, if it is not then do a track alignment inspection and go from there. Remove your hood and look at the structure and see if anything has been kinked or looks stressed. Check things out and fix yourself if you have the means, insurance claim will cost you minimum double the just stretch it out for you over 5 years of premiums

I had a look over everything I could get to with out stripping the sled right apart. Tunnel looks fine, upper structure in the front shows no signs of distortion or stress. Drivers seem to be where they're supposed to be and track seems proper. Only damage I can find is the cracked s-mod and my A-arms being out of whack. I am going to have the shop look at it just to be sure I'm not missing anything. I'd love to fix it myself but I don't really have the time or the space required to strip the whole front end down.
And yeah, as far as insurance goes I won't even bother claiming if I can afford to pay out of pocket. Dealing with SGI generally seems to be way more headache than it should be.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh he road it the rest of the day, not knowing it was that bad, packed in snow and couldn't see it looking that bad

BIG FORD

Reaction score
Well I can tell you I hit a rock on the side of my ski snapped lower a arm broke s mod and put a hole from the broken arm in the aluminum didn't even feel that hard but took it to shop and got a quote for $6200

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 402

canadude

Reaction score
If you have the time and a little know how the repair is quite easy. The S Module support is $240.00 and front plate is $48.00. The biggest thing needed is a 1/4 inch rivet gun for the Huck bolts ( fancy aluminum rivets ) on the S Module and the regular 1/4 inch rivets. The 3/16 rivets holding all the plastic on can be done with the average rivet gun. Accufast in Edmonton carries all the rivets required so it will be stock when the repair is complete. If you purchase the rivets from BRP, you will be paying about 5 times what you can by the rivets for at a rivet shop. Just got mine back together. Did not have A-arm damage but everything else was the same. Rivets were about $20.00 total. For around $300.00, 8 hours to disassemble and about the same amount of time to reassemble. Make sure you pull your primary clutch to make sure your E Module is not bent and rubbing on the back of your primary. This can happen also. All parts can be seen and priced out on the BRP website. Happy Repairs!

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the time and a little know how the repair is quite easy. The S Module support is $240.00 and front plate is $48.00. The biggest thing needed is a 1/4 inch rivet gun for the Huck bolts ( fancy aluminum rivets ) on the S Module and the regular 1/4 inch rivets. The 3/16 rivets holding all the plastic on can be done with the average rivet gun. Accufast in Edmonton carries all the rivets required so it will be stock when the repair is complete. If you purchase the rivets from BRP, you will be paying about 5 times what you can by the rivets for at a rivet shop. Just got mine back together. Did not have A-arm damage but everything else was the same. Rivets were about $20.00 total. For around $300.00, 8 hours to disassemble and about the same amount of time to reassemble. Make sure you pull your primary clutch to make sure your E Module is not bent and rubbing on the back of your primary. This can happen also. All parts can be seen and priced out on the BRP website. Happy Repairs!

My tip to you cause I have done more than my fair share of s-modules is bolt back together as much as you can makes it so much easier the 2nd time, 3rd time, 4th time....

BIG FORD

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info I all ready had it in shop so going though insurance this time I really thought about doing it myself which I'm sure I could have done it but if it happens again I'll sure be doing it don't hurt to learn cheaper in long run all the way around

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I don't know who you guys are insured with, but you may wanna do a little research first. My old 08 M8 cat took a tumble last year, so I was hoping to write it off. Bill came in at $6500, sled was insured for $12,500 from when I bought it. Not only did they fix it, but wouldn't write it off till the bill got close to $12,500, and they didn't raise my premiums because it's an off road vehicle. Might want to keep that in mind, finally a way to get your money back from those guys.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
They just wrote off my daughters 08 summit x 800 146" and just needs all modules, control arms and track..... Bought the sled back for $1000 so now we need to start collecting parts.... Summer project

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom