Dalton Mudrunner kit

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Anyone here using a Dalton Mudrunner kit in there xmr,s? Looking for a bit of input on them, the DBM 800 kit is cheap enough, so was looking into it. Never played around with clutching before so needing some input from anyone with experience with this set up Thanks[/FONT]

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran the Dalton stuff....good quality. There are better clutching upgrades....but for a lot more $$$ and involves replacing the primary. The Dalton isn't perfect, but it's better than stock for sure.

I ran the Dalton gr/yl primary springs with their weights and 3 Renny weights with an STM secondary clutch for 3 seasons on my 800....worked great.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, yeah i know there are better setups for it, id like to use a qsc or airdam but like you said alot more money, i dont want to dump a lot of money into the quad as the kiddo is going to soon be ready for mama's so we will both need to be riding shortys in order for everything to fit in the trailer. I have zero knowledge of clutching so was looking for some tips, ive heard a lot of good reviews of the dalton mudrunner on the xmrs. The kit is cheap enough but as far as the install, and springs , weights to use im at a loss . I like tinkering around with the quads but i dont want to make the clutching on the xmr any worse then it already is.Id like to see it have a bit more snap off the bottom end, and especially in low gear in the thick chit, i find that its smoked the belt up a few times on me, although havent shredded one yet.

tool_man

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, yeah i know there are better setups for it, id like to use a qsc or airdam but like you said alot more money, i dont want to dump a lot of money into the quad as the kiddo is going to soon be ready for mama's so we will both need to be riding shortys in order for everything to fit in the trailer. I have zero knowledge of clutching so was looking for some tips, ive heard a lot of good reviews of the dalton mudrunner on the xmrs. The kit is cheap enough but as far as the install, and springs , weights to use im at a loss . I like tinkering around with the quads but i dont want to make the clutching on the xmr any worse then it already is.Id like to see it have a bit more snap off the bottom end, and especially in low gear in the thick chit, i find that its smoked the belt up a few times on me, although havent shredded one yet.

Call Pines Motorsports in Prince Albert SK they have the Can Ams dialed in and stock a lot.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip tool man, sask is the next province over, and we do have an excellent bunch of guys up here in edmonton at get torqed that know the can ams inside and out, if i need to get that far into into it, lots of guys we ride with have clutching experience, although none of them have an xmr that i know of, so hoping a few others like Dave chime in. cheers

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Pines guys plop a CV Tech clutch on everything....

Get the Dalton lit....easy as pie to install. We could do it in the trailer with 2 beers on a weekend if you want.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, i will keep it in mind, I am leaning towards the dalton kit, i sent dale at dalton industries an email this morning regarding this issues ive noticed, so hoping he can enlighten me on which springs , weights to use to improve it.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well dale form dalton industries emailed me back , with some info. I read through the dbo800 m instructions and form what i gather it recommends to use the guide (flyweight setup) for the renegade , and not the outlander...Im not entirely sure why, but in the instruction guide thats what it says.... Think i opened a can of worms that i dont really want to personally experiment with lol..

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would rather have Dave pissin around with your clutch....................than singing,win win.................:ignore::beer::beer:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me too Nev, just not too sure if messing around with it out at a campout is the way to go,id like to get it installed before the first spring ride. Id give it a whirl myself but i lack any experience with clutching , and reading the theory on it all is well .... like reading a building code lmao, note this and note that, paraphrase this and that..... Certain parts of the machine i dont mind messing around with, when it comes to this id rather not fawk it right up lol:beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's because the XMR already has the same weights as the Renegade. I would just order the dalton gr/yl primary spring and their yl.bk secondary spring....pop those in and run 'er. Cost more in beer than the springs are worth. If you order the whole kit, you get 3 dalton weights with the ability to add rivets as required to bring the RPMs down....I suspect at our elev, you would run the weights empty anyways.

If you try the springs and the RPM is too high, I will give you 3 standard Outlander weights....they are 3g more each than the Renny weights.

Clutching is no harder than cooking a steak....and you got that down, right? Hahaha

Last edited:

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the kit comes with all the springs, and various weights, all that jazz just a matter of installing them. Checked with my local dealer here and most of their kits are epi, and havent heard much about folks using them in an xmr. More a matter of me feeling comfortable with the young boys here in town doing the install, said its only a 45 min job, but im not entirely convinced they know much about clutching lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just order the two springs. (Dalton) No special tools required....no clutch puller, nothing. I guarantee you that I can talk ya through it. Leave the stock weights.

Dalton Green/Yellow, DPPS-G/Y,67 lbs/160 lbs, $29.95. Dalton Yellow/Black, DPSS-Y/B,147 lbs/205 lbs, $41.00.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring the springs,we can do it..............You don`t need some kid doing it after school for a 100$ an hour........................

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing as Neville.....order the springs, grab a 6 pack, and come on over to my shop for an hour (or 5), and we'll put them in. No charge, no muss, no fuss. The hardest part of changing springs is getting the clutch cover off.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have done this before too grubby? Maybe i will take you up on that, Rimbey is not that far away.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing as Neville.....order the springs, grab a 6 pack, and come on over to my shop for an hour (or 5), and we'll put them in. No charge, no muss, no fuss. The hardest part of changing springs is getting the clutch cover off.

I've found the hardest part about doing any work in your shop is leaving sober!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have done this before too grubby? Maybe i will take you up on that, Rimbey is not that far away.

Yep, like Dave said...it's pretty straight forward. It takes a little threaded tool to spread the secondary enough to pull the belt, but I have a few kicking around. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two. But, like Tyler said, for some strange reason, it's really hard to do anything around there without having a few snorts....I've tried, but failed almost everytime.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, like Dave said...it's pretty straight forward. It takes a little threaded tool to spread the secondary enough to pull the belt, but I have a few kicking around. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two. But, like Tyler said, for some strange reason, it's really hard to do anything around there without having a few snorts....I've tried, but failed almost everytime.
sounds good grubby shoot me a pm with your number and address and ill swing by after the kit comes in. Thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

all I know is the night we picked up that scrambler from you its a damn good thing Sara drove......

Top Bottom