D8 Recall

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the motor sieze on my PG turbo D8 today.

First ride with all the updates completed. Rode 30k up to renshaw varying the throttle and making sure my 02 readings were safe all the time. Had a couple temp spikes but didnt think anything of it, just tried to run on the edge of the trail in a little more powder. Temp spikes never occoured again after that and I burnt a whole tank of fuel in renshaw. Coming down the trail back to the truck and the sled started sputtering and died, siezed. Let it cool down, restarted and drove the pos the last couple km's to the trailer.

Don't do the update!!!!

I was also having hard starting problems all day.

Did you have your Fuel box updated at the some time as your Machine update????????????

T-BO

Reaction score
No I did not. I didn't even know you had to get an update done??

Wich is funny because I even talked to one of the boondocker tech support guys because I wanted to know if there were any new recomendations for starting numbers. He didnt say anything about an update and said they were still working on starting numbers. He said I didnt have anything to worry about and that it would be running a little fat, no big deal.

Tell me about this BD box update please........????

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I did not. I didn't even know you had to get an update done??

Wich is funny because I even talked to one of the boondocker tech support guys because I wanted to know if there were any new recomendations for starting numbers. He didnt say anything about an update and said they were still working on starting numbers. He said I didnt have anything to worry about and that it would be running a little fat, no big deal.

Tell me about this BD box update please........????

Sorry bud Im not running the BD box BUT my Turbo builder told me a month ago that if Turbo sleds are getting the Polaris update that the Fuel box also had to be updated.....I have NOT yet got the Polaris update but when I do my Fuel box has to be reflashed with new program to be compatiable with the Polaris reflash....BD should now that.......Sorry about your luck thats a shitty thing.

T-BO

Reaction score
Oh and I pulled the head off today just out of curiosity and the PTO side piston was missing a chunk and looks washed out/melted where the missing piece used to be on the very edge of the exhaust port. The mag site piston is perfect. My o2 was reading 13.5 most of the time on the trail at low load and throttle and 12.3 at WOT.

And another question. What should the tolerances be between the cylinder and piston? These pistons have quite a bit of slop inside the cylinder. I'll measure tommorow.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and I pulled the head off today just out of curiosity and the PTO side piston was missing a chunk and looks washed out/melted where the missing piece used to be on the very edge of the exhaust port. The mag site piston is perfect. My o2 was reading 13.5 most of the time on the trail at low load and throttle and 12.3 at WOT.

And another question. What should the tolerances be between the cylinder and piston? These pistons have quite a bit of slop inside the cylinder. I'll measure tommorow.

Your right on the money with your O2 reading.....Im not sure whats happened......Im not sure what the new clearances are but I can find out with a phone call to an insider at Polaris........I also run a pyro cause the O2 sensers dont like the 2 stroke oil and peeps been changing them out ever 4-600 mls......

T-BO

Reaction score
Got word that several Dragons with the new update have blown here. So I dont think the turbo or my fuel settings were at fault.

I measured the clearance between the piston and cylinder wall today and I could get a .035" wire feeler gauge to fit. This seems like way to much play to me but I'm not sure what spec is. This was measured on the mag side that had no visible damage.

skibreeze

Reaction score
Mine has not been updated yet, but it looks like the voltage regulator took a crap again. The first time was at the beginning of last season. This is not part of the update, but it is a reason why these sleds are doing down. I will be looking at it today to see if mine has the revised reg. or the orig. part #. I'm gonna be really pissed if it's the revised #

slednut

Reaction score
Had the update done on my 09 Switchback 800. Took it out weekend after and found it ran awsome, mid range bog was gone, and found it pulled much harder right through the mid range. No problems of any kind. However, she is still pretty stock still. I have herd of a few problems around here, however all had to do with the pipe temp sensor, either loose or the wires getting melted off. Just my .02c

09dragon

Reaction score
I got my update done and it runs like crap nothing but bogging in the bottom end it wont stay running and it wont start sometimes what the hell is going on here?

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my update done and it runs like crap nothing but bogging in the bottom end it wont stay running and it wont start sometimes what the hell is going on here?

I had update done on my 08 D8 which never missed a beat for the first 3500 miles, did not want the update but probably due for pistons anyway. The first tank of fuel/oil did the same, bogg, hard to start, would not idle etc. second tank of fuel much better, bog gone, back to two pull starts. Hoping third tank will be back to normal!!!

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine was running stupid too,mid range bog ect.had cycleworks check it out,they reset tps and now runs great put 25 miles on yesterday.

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
My 09 800 RMK seemed real good the first 70 miles i put on it taken it easy on the river..breaking it in after the update was done.Started it two days later and it won't idle down any lower than 2000rpm, when you stop it sits at 2400rpm for 30 seconds then goes down to 2000rpm and stays there....the engine light came on for a second on the second ride that i put 40 miles on. Just wondering why it won't idle down!!

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call your dealer tell him what it is doing,they should reset the tps(throttle position sensor) these sleds are really sensitive to set up.pain in the a$$.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well that did not last long 120 mile ride and it's back running like crap in the mid range.check engine light flashing goes to limp mode.back to dealer tomorrow.startin to pi$$ me off.:mad::rant:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks Timbo. I hope your sled gets sorted out. I have over 400 km on mine so far. All in the mountains, all with the SLP single pipe, and so far so good. But I’m scared to death to pull the exhaust valves and take a look.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks Timbo. I hope your sled gets sorted out. I have over 400 km on mine so far. All in the mountains, all with the SLP single pipe, and so far so good. But I’m scared to death to pull the exhaust valves and take a look.

you riding around here? mine ran good at elevation but not here,6400-7000 seems like a plug wire is loose kicking in and out. 71gr on my heavy hitter weights pulls 8200rpm 77 mph.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you riding around here? mine ran good at elevation but not here,6400-7000 seems like a plug wire is loose kicking in and out. 71gr on my heavy hitter weights pulls 8200rpm 77 mph.

I put a few miles on around home. Took a couple quick rides down the river.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dropping it off tomorrow hope it's the tps ajustment

Top Bottom