cyclist

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest thing for cyclists to remember is this:

you MIGHT have the right the way, but every vehicle has the right of WEIGHT. not saying people should just run over cyclists, but cyclists do need to be more aware it seems like. same as pedestrians crossing at unmarked crosswalks, just cause you have the right away, doesn't mean the car/truck is gonna stop.
i remember going on bike trips in junior high from jasper back down to cochrane. we were repeatedly told to ALWAYS ride single file, unless passing another bike. and nowadays, pretty sure that rule hasn't changed, yet people ride 2,3,4 abreast on secondary highways all the time.

friggin crazy. friggin cyclists

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
There is a cyle club here and the like to bike down Hwy 40 to the Canfor road. Once the pain is surpassed and one falls in " the zone " they become completely focused on themselves. Scary thing to come upon at 100km/hr and on coming traffic. They crowd the white line to the point your riding the center line. Haven't seen any in the ditch...yet.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
CHAT TV Medicine Hat
A 9-year-old girl is recovering from a broken leg, after being struck by a car in Ross Glen yesterday afternoon.

Police say the cyclist peddled through an intersection without stopping.

No charges will be laid.

It has happened yet again here in town...Man I wish parents spent more time teaching their kids the rules of the road while on bikes. Where is common sense anymore??

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CHAT TV Medicine Hat
A 9-year-old girl is recovering from a broken leg, after being struck by a car in Ross Glen yesterday afternoon.

Police say the cyclist peddled through an intersection without stopping.

No charges will be laid.

It has happened yet again here in town...Man I wish parents spent more time teaching their kids the rules of the road while on bikes. Where is common sense anymore??

Turns out, common sense isn't all that common anymore.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the artical, but anytime a child gets hurt is tragic and try as hard as we might a 9 year old is only capable of a certain level of "common sense. And therefore it really is every drivers responsibilty to watch out for them!!
As for adult cyclist's I guess they have every right afforded them by law but in all reality I could never figure out why on earth anyone would Want to ride on a busy highway, seems like a deathwish at the best of times.

doin it in the dirt

Reaction score
Seems like alot of contraversy on this topic along with others. Now everyone is entiltled to there own opinion and comments. I personally get frustrated with the cyclists who don't follow or obey rules and regulations, they are the ones who usually are the first to complain or sue after being hit or hurt in an accident. I am the mother of 6 kids, and have stressed over teaching my kids to stop and wlk there bikes across the streets, and to obey the rules, and when they are caught not doing it, then they are banned from riding bikes. One thing that frustrates me more then anything is cross walks....I see them being missused all the time and it drives me nutz!!! Kids and adults push the button and just walk, they don't wait for traffic to come to a stop, they just go ahead and hope they will stop....and then the people who bike right through them without walking there bikes across or even checking if traffic is gonna stop!! I was reading an article in the paper when I still lived in MB and there was a guy on a bike who rode out into traffic at a cross walk and got hit by a car, he was seriously hurt and it went to court and the cyclist was trying to sue the driver of the car because of his injuries, and because a bike is classified as a vehicle, he was almost granted the ruling in this case, until a video tape was brought in fron the accident, and the judge then claimed that the cyclist was at fault for ot getting off his bike and following the rules of the road......now I don't know all the rules and regulations for bike riding, but I do know that crosswalks are used wrongly too often.....sorry thats my rant....as for smoking out bikers and running them down, I am bowing out on that one!!

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If motor vehicles have to write aa learners, drive for a year with a licensed driver, then perform a test , and still be put on probation.. why can these bicyclists just hop on and go?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk which is better then an iPhone.

Dynamic

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with a cyclist. I have had countless problems with douche 'big' truck drivers that drive tards and think they own the road.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings with regards to cyclists. They really do annoy me when there holding up traffic, or not obeying traffic signs, etc yet I do respect the fact they have the right to ride on the road and that bicycle is considered as a vehicle..and I do understand that there are bylaws that state that you cannot ride bicycles on the sidewalks so for the people who cannot afford a motor vehicle or for those who choose to be environmentally friendly and ride their bikes to work, for example..well good on ya, but my beef is, if they are to be treated as a vehicle and they are to follow the rules of the road just like a motor vehicle, and they want the extra respect and caution from motorists, why don't they have to pay vehicle registration and have license plates?? I can understand that insurance would be a bit much for a pedal bike but seriously...they can cause accidents too, they use the roads which all the motorists have to pay registration to use, etc..:confused:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pedal bikes are dangerous period on highways. even divided. you never know if an animal is going to run out in front or the oncoming driver swirves to avoid something...guess where your going.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely dangerous, but I think most cyclists understand they are putting themselves or others at a higher risk when they are on the road..or atleast I hope they do, I'm definitely too scared to ride my pedal bike anywhere other then designated bike paths.

I just think that if someone who rides a little scooter or a moped of some kind, even a motorcycle, has to pay registration and insurance in order to ride them on the road, why do cyclists get to ride on the road and get treated as a vehicle, and don't pay anything or dont have to have a license plate or anything? Just because they dont have a motor?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scooters, and mopeds have road restriction don't they? for ex they are not aloud to be on a hiway because there top speed is not fast enough?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with a cyclist. I have had countless problems with douche 'big' truck drivers that drive tards and think they own the road.

I think everyone that has a license should be required to have a CDL class A license. Then they would know what totally goes on and they would have more respect for truck drivers. Just sayin'

Dynamic

Reaction score
I think everyone that has a license should be required to have a CDL class A license. Then they would know what totally goes on and they would have more respect for truck drivers. Just sayin'

I meant the guys that drive the lifted pickup truck driving 140 weaving on and out of traffic on the single lane highway.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and just updated my tuner put the 275 race tune on just too try it and wow. You can not see behind the truck when you hammer on it. Hehehe that will work nicely. Oh and seen some cyclist the other day blow a busy intersection without stopping they are getting dumber.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and just updated my tuner put the 275 race tune on just too try it and wow. You can not see behind the truck when you hammer on it. Hehehe that will work nicely. Oh and seen some cyclist the other day blow a busy intersection without stopping they are getting dumber.

TRYING to stay ahead of the rolling coal! LOL :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom