Cycle Works Calgary

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new KTM from them last year for $9000.00 and part of the agreement was we get 15% off of parts.

Now they tell me "we have a new points program and when you spend $1000.00 you get $100.00 in credit".

Anyone else p1ssed about this?

I'm buying another KTM, anyone know a dealer who keeps his word?

cheers

Waxy

Reaction score
I had a rather heated email exchange with the owner the other day about this very topic. Needless to say, he didn't budge and basically told me to get stuffed. He said that he needs to evaluate his rewards programs to reward the truly loyal customers. "In these tough economic times he needs to look for new ideas, and similar programs have been a success for companies like The Bay and Zellers." I asked him why in the hell he wanted to pattern his motorsports dealership after Club Z points and raffle gimmicks and risk losing all his customers that actually buy bikes and parts there.

It's an outright cash grab on his part, basically I went from getting 10-15% off, to getting NOTHING. He's totally broken the "code" with his customers, and believe me, I'm just as pissed off as you are. The whole idea of buying your bike locally is for the service and discount after the sale and to support your dealer. I've actually paid more for stuff there than I could have bought it online just to support the shop and Janine in sales. I've spent a pile of $$$ there in the last year or two. He'll be the next guy whining because people buy online or out of town and don't support their local dealers and their "customer service". What does he do in return for the support? First chance he gets he screws over his loyal customers. Well, as of now, he can kiss my ass.

I think more people need to boycott Cycle Works or get in touch with him and maybe he'll get the message. With Janine gone and the new policy, they've seen the last of me for a long time, and I certainly won't be posting the glowing recommendations all over the net that I once did, in fact, it'll be the opposite.

Hello A&E Racing in Brooks...

Waxy

P.S. Cycle Works' owner's email is jroth@cycleworks.com

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Thats not right at all. I would definitely e-mail him and also send him a link to this thread so he knows just how many people know about this. When I bought my new sled last year from Martin Equipment I got a similar arrangement and they have had no trouble honoring it! To me thats just cheap and I would not do business with a dealer like him! :mad:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer can kiss my arse to i havent dealt there, sure the hell wont either. Cheers to you guys spread the word.

mat

Reaction score
Same deal here in Edmonton, Bought a brand knew KTM last year. They send my a letter after the fact to tell me I was A VIP customer and I would get 10 to 15 % discount...Yeah Right. I guess I'm going to have to start crashing my bike so I feel like I'm getting my money worth... Only in Alberta!

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have to spend a G to get the 100 disscount.
I told the guy at CW west it would take me ten years to spend that amount, as I only buy a belt a year. It's crapp.

grizzly se

Reaction score
If your'e into Yamaha check out Central sled and cylce in Wetaskewin. I bought my grizz last year and they have been great for parts and service.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a rather heated email exchange with the owner the other day about this very topic. Needless to say, he didn't budge and basically told me to get stuffed. He said that he needs to evaluate his rewards programs to reward the truly loyal customers. "In these tough economic times he needs to look for new ideas, and similar programs have been a success for companies like The Bay and Zellers." I asked him why in the hell he wanted to pattern his motorsports dealership after Club Z points and raffle gimmicks and risk losing all his customers that actually buy bikes and parts there.

It's an outright cash grab on his part, basically I went from getting 10-15% off, to getting NOTHING. He's totally broken the "code" with his customers, and believe me, I'm just as pissed off as you are. The whole idea of buying your bike locally is for the service and discount after the sale and to support your dealer. I've actually paid more for stuff there than I could have bought it online just to support the shop and Janine in sales. I've spent a pile of $$$ there in the last year or two. He'll be the next guy whining because people buy online or out of town and don't support their local dealers and their "customer service". What does he do in return for the support? First chance he gets he screws over his loyal customers. Well, as of now, he can kiss my ass.

I think more people need to boycott Cycle Works or get in touch with him and maybe he'll get the message. With Janine gone and the new policy, they've seen the last of me for a long time, and I certainly won't be posting the glowing recommendations all over the net that I once did, in fact, it'll be the opposite.

Hello A&E Racing in Brooks...

Waxy

P.S. Cycle Works' owner's email is jroth@cycleworks.com

Apparently buying a bike/sled then buying parts and clothing doesn't make you a loyal enough customer.

Cheers

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did they put it in writeing for ya. if so you got a leg to stand on other wise good luck.

LIPSTICKANDTRIPS

Reaction score
My family (hubby and boys) have several brands of toys we ride and this policy of card-Membership seems to be quite common. Our Yamaha and Suzuki gear from Alberta Cycle and Riverside now have the same as our Polaris Parts from Cycle Works.
We stopped in to talk about it with our salesman at Cycle Works (Andrew) and after hearing in person what the system really is about I understand we actually are getting the tradional discount plus more. Jeff (Hubby) already has cashed in on some of the double points gear with savings we would never have got before.
I do most of the shopping in the house and this system is no different than my Sobeys and others.
It works for us.
It seems by some of the comments here most have never taken the time to actually drop by any of these stores and ask questions 1st hand. Seeing alot are from Calgary I understand the travel etc.

We are hoping for the good weather soon so I can try my new polaris XP.
does anyone know if the ATV event in Lloydminster area is still on ?

We are new here so I hope my chatter is appropriate , if not I am sure I will here

does anyone know how to link Facebook to this site to share some family ride
pictures ?

Safe riding

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your looking for polaris sled parts it is well worth the drive out to mountain toys

there is a reason why most of the calgary club members make the drive

and also why cycle jerks is living up to the name

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Dave, Harvey or anyone at A&E racing out of Brooks. Not only bikes, but sleds. They ride also and put on races so they understand what you are talking about and usually know what will help. They also support the sports, they help me drag racing all over western Canada and Montana, They help Kenny ( Maddog) on hilclimbing all over north america and they help Cody with the sled stunt riding and backflips. They work with manufacturers on research and developement. Anyone that helps support our sports deserves our support right back. Check out their website:beer:

George

Waxy

Reaction score
We stopped in to talk about it with our salesman at Cycle Works (Andrew) and after hearing in person what the system really is about I understand we actually are getting the tradional discount plus more. Jeff (Hubby) already has cashed in on some of the double points gear with savings we would never have got before.

I think youre salesman is really good at his job...

How are you getting the traditional discount? The traditional discount was a straight 10-15% off, CASH savings, in my pocket, for me to do with as I please. Now, I get a 10% STORE CREDIT. How is that the same?

What if I don't need or want the gear that's on "super" special? How does that help me?

On top of that, my understanding is that you have to spend $1000 to get the $100. There's no way I'll be spending $1000, even if I still shopped there.

It's a cash grab plain and simple. It's not a 10% discount at all, you HAVE to buy his merchandise with that 10%, so he's guaranteed to get that money back. It's just another way for the owner to put that money in his pocket.

It seems by some of the comments here most have never taken the time to actually drop by any of these stores and ask questions 1st hand.

I did talk to a parts person, and they were every bit as unhappy about the policy change as I was. They've been forced to deal with a lot of pissed off customers, LOYAL customers they know on a personal basis like myself, but they have to toe the company line or else.

Waxy

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most credit scams are just that. I want my money in my bank account to collect interest or do whatever I want with it. A store credit leaves your money in their account for them to do what they want. When you use the store credit usually it is only valid on full price product or certain items.

Waxy

Reaction score
Same deal here in Edmonton, Bought a brand knew KTM last year. They send my a letter after the fact to tell me I was A VIP customer and I would get 10 to 15 % discount...Yeah Right.

Yeah, I got the same guarantee as part of the purchase. The salesman (Todd) sold that hard as part of the deal.

I'm going to have to check my bike file and bill of sale and see if I have that in writing somewhere.

Not that I ever want to buy anything there again, but man would it be SWEET to walk in there and demand my 10%. :d

Waxy

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got alot of great deals from the Cycle Works building years ago........but back then it was the MUSTANG STRIP/PEELER BAR.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that doesn't sound right/ or fair. dont change the deal once you have it made, or after the contract is signed. whats the word im thinkin of ....oh ya ETHICAL ...

be honest, be fair, just goes to show the warranty and discounts are only as good as the guys backing them.... i have had that happen to me several times as a customer and it just plain sucks...

They say a customer is a life time investment, treat them well, i always joke with my customers/friends that i like to take there money, i just dont think i have to do it all at once....lol...

be patient fell s&m followers, all dealers are not the same, too bad i dont sell ktm....

remember walk softly, but always ride the biggest bike..

T.

Last edited:

Muddy Waters

Reaction score
"P.S. Cycle Works' owner's email is jroth@cycleworks.com"

Since when did Jim Roth become the owner at Cycle Works? To the best of my knowledge he's a Manager. If you want to talk to the owner, try giving the real owner, Don Galloway, a call. You might have better luck with Don.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing the terms after a sale is not new in the "toys" business here in Calgary. A few years back my wife and I bought 2 brand new sportbikes and about $3K in gear at Blackfoot. Honda's don't need parts that often so when I did try to buy Honda parts about a year later the parts guy said 15% discount is for customers who are in here buying, you haven't bought anything in almost a year...price is full, no discount. Haven't bought anything there since.

Waxy

Reaction score
"P.S. Cycle Works' owner's email is jroth@cycleworks.com"

Since when did Jim Roth become the owner at Cycle Works? To the best of my knowledge he's a Manager. If you want to talk to the owner, try giving the real owner, Don Galloway, a call. You might have better luck with Don.

Interesting, thanks.

That's the name and email I was given when I asked to talk to the owner. (I was at the Calgary store.)

I'll look into it...

Waxy

Top Bottom