Crowsnest Pass Newbie to Sledding Safe Trails Please

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day. There are lots of safe areas around the Lynx Creek (W of Beaver Mines) area and the riding is only an hour or 2 away.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The Sartoris Road is probably one of the safer ones to start out on as you can ride for miles on a unplowed road. That being said, please either hire a guide or tag along with someone familar with this area for at least your first few outings. I'm sure anyone whom rides this area on a regular basis (ourselves included) would be most happy to have you tag along on a ride. The directions for the Sartoris Road Staging area follow.

Sartoris Road - Staging Area #51 (this access is out of Blairmore to the South Trail System - Lost Lake, Airplane Crash, over to Westcastle, south snowmobile shelter, etc.)
Follow highway #3 west to the first (east) Blairmore access (you will see the River Ridge restaurant at this turnoff). Take this access, cross the bridge and continue following that road (20th avenue – main street Blairmore) for three blocks until you come to 133rd St. which is directly across from the Pass Promoter building. Turn left at 133rd St., cross railway tracks, and go straight on 133rd until you reach 16 Ave. At 16 Ave. turn right and go straight, cross 132nd Avenue and keep going straight. This will take you up a hill. the road going up the hill is called Sartoris Road. There will be a Y intersection – take the left fork which will take you to the staging area. Once you take the left fork there will be a driveway on the left leading into a private residence, continue past this driveway and up the hill. There are two levels to this staging area, the lower one has a permament ramp for truck loading/unloading and the upper is a very large oval which works great for large trailers. Once unloaded sled back to the Y intersection and take the right fork back onto Sartoris Road - to the south half trail system.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the CNP is safe to ride. But make sure to ride where you feel safe. As Trax 2 treadz said please have someone with you. Lynx creek area is nice, but I like the Atlas area (Crowsnest Mtn). Or go a bit further to the Inn on the Border, never been thru there as we go to Corbin. Welcome to the sport and ride safe.:d

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leaving from corbin town site is good as well your choice to venture into alpine or just stay on the road

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEARTBREAK IS NICE! ROAD IS GOOD TOO, AND A FEW LAKES IN THERE AS WELL. Curtis at offers tours and has trails maps, as well a great place to stay as you can sled from the cabin directly to the trails!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Best way to be safe on the trails is to treat them like a road. Keep to your side be prepared for someone in your lane around corners and dont go to fast. If every rider followed these simple rules there would be less chance of incidents.
I have seen way to many riders crest hills on the wrong side of the trail or take the inside of a curve not thinking if someone is coming the other way. Best advice is be a defencive rider.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEARTBREAK IS NICE! ROAD IS GOOD TOO, AND A FEW LAKES IN THERE AS WELL. Curtis at offers tours and has trails maps, as well a great place to stay as you can sled from the cabin directly to the trails!

Heartbreak and Predator are not the best,But Barns Lake is a good area or Raingauge.
The best would be just to stay on the main trail and go for some Long tral rides until you are familiar with sledding and the area.

By the way everyone, The corbon main trail was groomed last weekend
We will be trying to groom more, but we need everyone to help with the costs and pay into the trail pass can at the start of the trail. It is a honour system when nobody is around but if we want the trail groomed more everyone should chip in

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heartbreak and Predator are not the best,But Barns Lake is a good area or Raingauge.
The best would be just to stay on the main trail and go for some Long tral rides until you are familiar with sledding and the area.

We will be trying to groom more, but we need everyone to help with the costs and pay into the trail pass can at the start of the trail. It is a honour system when nobody is around but if we want the trail groomed more everyone should chip in

not bad middle of november and already grooming nice!!!!!!!!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Raingauge is nice and so is Barns! How many feet out there now?

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading this thread and I am really impressed with the mature advise and pointers given here....

Hopefully I will be able to head out to crowsnest this weekend and get to try out my new sled on these trails.....

thanks

Top Bottom