Crash Stories

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bored at work, thought i'd get a fun discussion going.

No one enjoys any of our fine sports without a good 'ol wipe-out. Some of us im sure have had more than we'd care to think about. Bones break, machine break even worse.

Tell everyone about the best "get-off" you've had. Did you break anything? did you walk away unscathed? did you get right back on or did you come close to giving up?

I've got some pretty good ones to tell, but I'll wait to hear a few first.

Johnny

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been pretty lucky with the injuries sustained from wipe-outs, but my mother got dinged up fairly nasty. It was a couple days after our wedding in Cuba, we all rented scooters for the day. The throttle on my mom's scooter stuck wide open coming around a corner, and she nailed a stone gate pillar. She broke 5 vertebrae and her neck. Spent a week in the hospital in Havanna, and a few days in Edmonton, but recovered quick. She has a bit of a fear of 2 wheelers now.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the years i have the following results from those famous words" hey watch this"
2 broken vertabrae
fractured left ankle
compound fracture collar bone.
concussion
all on different occasions and all dirtbike induced

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried to gap a creek 2 up on an 800 summit once (I was riding b!tch, sled broke down) and broke my sternum and a bunch of ribs. was a chitty 3 months recovering, ribs still not the same.

got mowed down by my buddy on his kx 500, while I was riding my kx 500.....just happened to get it on video too. minor injuries that time, been lucky on the bikes. sleds seem to be the ones that get me....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwXhsU-6XE[/YOUTUBE]

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i'm from ontario. grew up riding trails with my old man on an XR100 and then his Yamaha Xl250. Before i moved to Alberta i hadn't even hear of muskeg let alone riiden through it. I had no idea how "sinkable" that stuff is.

So, my first time riding in vega I'm on a borrowed KX125. i have always been pretty solid in whoops, even sand whoops. point it and Pin 'er, right? well i saw this section if trail that looked great. there was soem green, and alot of dark. I'm thinking to myself, "no sand, this is great. i can just pop the top off of each of these whoops."

away i go, pinned in 3rd. im back wheeling all of them, right up to the point where a root snags my rear and drives my front tire straight into a deep muskeg sink hole. I was FLYIN!!!!!!! then, a dead stop!!!!

The bike stayed straight up and down, front tire sunk half way up the forks. The bars folded forward, my femur in excrutiating pain. I couldnt move. i lay face down for a good 5 minutes trying to get my breath back.

fixing the bike before i gave it back was a hard pill to swallow. "hey jeff, you have some new bars on your bike, isnt that neat?" "whats that? you wanna know why you have new bars on your bike?" "you'll never lend me your bike again?" "yes Jeff, i AM sorry."

that is one of many good wipe outs ive had. more to come

tbosch

Reaction score
I ate some spruce about 6 years ago on my CR 250. I was wheeling down a trail tapped out and had a branch go between my forks and tire and whipped me in to a tree. I did the superman over the bars and mashed my head off the tree(this explains alot..:p) I shattered my femur, smashed both my knees, tore my right shin to the bone to the point where it splintered the surface of the bone and cracked my helmet right off my head. This all happened near cut off creek in the sevenmile flats area so you can imagine how fast emergency response was...:eek: 4 years and 3 surgeries later i was ready to rock and roll again.

The bike actually wasnt too bad all things considered. I had to replace the front forks and handlebars but other than that it was good to go.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried to gap a creek 2 up on an 800 summit once (I was riding b!tch, sled broke down) and broke my sternum and a bunch of ribs. was a chitty 3 months recovering, ribs still not the same.

got mowed down by my buddy on his kx 500, while I was riding my kx 500.....just happened to get it on video too. minor injuries that time, been lucky on the bikes. sleds seem to be the ones that get me....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwXhsU-6XE[/YOUTUBE]

Broken sternum...... that would be no fun atall

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't borrow your buddies Viper! You might put a scuff on it!
DSCF6876.jpg

DSCF6868.jpg

DSCF6869.jpg

Speederz

Reaction score
Ouch! Subscribed to the thread since I want to read about how that happened!

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could make up a really good story but... The truth is that we bought it that way. The owner bought it for over 100K and put 612 km on it and pounded a gaurd rail with it. There were two passangers and one went out thought the window and was unhurt. Simply amazing. The car sat for the last 9 years as is. My math says about 180 buck a km. Shoulda made up a good story!!!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 1997 if was practicing at RJ's motorsports in Barrie ontairo on a Wednesday night, they had a real nice 70 to 80 foot step up( 3rd pinned on a 250 smoker) that when you landed, you had a big 90 to 100 foot (3rd even harder) single to table, all the jumps were built into the terrain which were basically two "coulies". Any how I had been slaying this section all season as the track was 20 min from my house at the time, and I rode there every Wednesday. So one day my buddies and I were learning how to really lay our bikes flat and stay low to got faster over jumps( a move now called "the bubba scrub" made popular by james stewart), so one time I whipped it way to hard over the first jump, and did not get the bike in the right direction when I landed. Anyhow, I landed a bit sideways, but being a wild man (or retard) I though I could save it. I just kept her pinned as I was already commited buy jumping the first kicker, to jump the second, but my suspension rebounded too fast and bucked the arse end to the left, then the right, then the left again at a 90 ' angle, directly in the face of the next jump. I then got pitched off the bike at 3rd pinned, and got plowed into the face of the next take off jump breaking my scapula, collarbone in 2 places, 2 vertbre in my neck, my jaw and knocked myself so retarded, it took 3 days to remember where I left my truck, bike, my own phone # and address, as a friend of a friend dropped me off at emergency and my ID had my parents address in Sault ste Marie and I was living 5 hours away.
Lets just say I quit racing for a few years after that one. to this day I can only sleep on one side and my shoulder is a nightmare, oh well, once a racer always a racer.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said it all. Once a racer always a racer. I even tried to race my buddy's in wheelchairs at the hospital. Lost...Too weak from surgury.

Top Bottom