Covid 19 and Snowmobiling

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who the fawk sleds at a provincial park, i drive by an entrance road on the way to go sledding
Some idiot has probably tried riding in the parking lot at the Sawridge hotel. I've seen some really stupid **** happen in Jasper. A mother wanted to put her 4 year old on a wild elk, because she thought it would make a cute picture. As I was walking by she asked me to take a picture of them for her. I refused and told her it was a stupid ****ing idea, and don't blame the animals when her kid dies.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are now 18 cases related to thathe rally but you will convince no one here that going was a bad idea.
It like geese in the fall.
They know there are hunters in the field and some of them will die but God Dam those peas taste good so let's go get sone anyway.
I say the geese are smarter, the food is a necessity.
Great analogy!

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are now 18 cases related to thathe rally but you will convince no one here that going was a bad idea.
They know there are hunters in the field and some of them will die but God Dam those peas taste good so let's go get sone anyway.
I used to ride up there when i was growing up, our club was about an hour ride away, that rally would of had probably 200-300 sleds well it did years ago anyway, not sure on current popularity , people from candle lake, whiteswan, anglin, waskesieau etc would probably be there, thats a little different than someone like me taking my truck by myself and meeting some friends 80 km into the bush on a logging road to go ride

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great analogy!

Just making it so it is understandable.

By the time those 18 infect their direct households there are about 100 people involved.
Out of every 100 there are 6-8 that hit the ICU and two die.
But according to the masses on S&M this is an aceptable loss.

Math does not lie and Covid19 is not picky on who it kills.
Healthy people are dying also.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Government has been crying wolf for to long with all this climate change, save the ocean by using paper straws, windmills, solar panels, no more plastic bags and every thing else they have been forcing down our throats.
Now that there is a REAL threat some of us don't believe it.
Which is really sad.
Someone going sledding with their family is not risking exposure as much, as people getting their tims from who knows who and where they have been.
The people were not exposed by riding but by being together after the ride.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Government has been crying wolf for to long with all this climate change, save the ocean by using paper straws, windmills, solar panels, no more plastic bags and every thing else they have been forcing down our throats.
Which is really sad.
Someone going sledding with their family is not risking exposure as much, as people getting their tims from who knows who and where they have been.

THIS is exactly what I am struggling with. I want to take this seriously but they have lost all credibility on anything else they have touched.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which is really sad.

You are 100% correct .
THE RIDE is not the issue be it by yourself or in mildly larger setting.
Food stop, groceries for lunch if family goes, bathroom stop, gas or oil for the sled, parts or service.
Get a little beat up on THE RIDE and need some meds or an x-ray - you will be going to a hospital and every hospital has Covid patients.
THE RIDE is never in question.
What is involved to support THE RIDE is where the extra contact takes place.
THE RIDE can not take place with zero impact.
I own 900 acres to ride on and 5 sleds but eventually THE RIDE requires support.
Who will you come in contact with, what will you touch and what will you bring back to your home?
What are people willing to justify for THE RIDE, what are they willing to risk.
House bound 100%, no but what are you willing to risk for THE RIDE???
That's all.
Between elderly and health issues in my family the toys are mothballed until this is over.
I'll be outdoors taking part in lower impact activities that do not require unnecessary travel or contact.
People's lives mean more to me than THE RIDE.
We are big Kids and clearly make our own choices.
Just don't cover choices with bull chit to justify them.
This is not direct at you fj40, just clearing up misconceptions for those that can not think to many steps ahead.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which is really sad.
Yup, government cryed wolf too many times

I don't believe them at all

I do believe that China let the virus go on purpose to fawk the rest of the world up tho

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They know there are hunters in the field and some of them will die but God Dam those peas taste good so let's go get some anyway.

Great analogy!

Just making it so it is understandable.

By the time those 18 infect their direct households there are about 100 people involved.
Out of every 100 there are 6-8 that hit the ICU and two die.
But according to the masses on S&M this is an acceptable loss.

Math does not lie and Covid19 is not picky on who it kills.
Healthy people are dying also.

Many of the people on here will not take this seriously until it affects them or someone they know.....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get a chance watch tonights episode of 60 minutes. They did a story on whats happening in New York and New York State. Over half the USA's cases are in that state. It makes you think. Army's in there now building mobile field hospitals, stacking bodies in freezer vans till they can be buried. Its real in places like there and Italy and Spain. The only reason we are not seeing it hit us hard is because we have a premier that is nipping it in the bud. Our PM didn't but he did. I blame it on the American attitude of we are indestructible. This disease doesn't scare off of bravado. No one is tougher than New Yorkers and they are dropping like flies.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you get a chance watch tonights episode of 60 minutes. They did a story on whats happening in New York and New York State. Over half the USA's cases are in that state. It makes you think. Army's in there now building mobile field hospitals, stacking bodies in freezer vans till they can be buried. Its real in places like there and Italy and Spain. The only reason we are not seeing it hit us hard is because we have a premier that is nipping it in the bud. Our PM didn't but he did. I blame it on the American attitude of we are indestructible. This disease doesn't scare off of bravado. No one is tougher than New Yorkers and they are dropping like flies.

I wouldn't exactly say they are dropping like flies - 1257 dead out of 66,500 cases so 1.8%.

Don't get me wrong death sucks for everyone who knows and loves an individual I still flip flop back and forth and don't know where I stand - I'm being careful, isolating when possible, still working but not visiting, only stopping when necessary and being very careful about it.... BUT

The one stat that I can't get over that makes me question whether the virus is a problem or the coverage of the virus is the problem - When have we ever before been able to track the real time progression of a virus online like the world-o-meter is with this one.

Each year 7 - 10 million Americans get the seasonal Flu, 180K -200K are hospitalized as a result and 10K-30K die from complications related to the flu (phenomena) 22K in 2019 works out to 0.0025 or 1/4%

So far in the US there are 158K cases with 2930 deaths - this is 0.018 or 1.8%

So the death rate is much higher as a percentage HOWEVER we have been told that MANY more cases exist that have not been officially diagnosed so the US might have 1.5M cases as opposed to 158K that makes a big difference on the death rate - many folks will get it or have it and show mild or no symptoms, these cases are not being recorded.

Not sure how they record annual flu cases other than asking folks "did you get the flu?" most never go to hospital or even a doctor, they just spend a few days in bed then get back-atter.

I don't know if it's a true pandemic, a case of media hysteria, a conspiracy for china to take over the world, or any other number of conspiracies floating around out there - and I likely never will.

If not THIS virus, eventually we need a virus that will bring the worlds population back down by 2-3 Billion people - or maybe it will be an earthquake, asteroid, solar flash or aliens who fawkin knows....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Right now 66,500 cases in New York sounds crazy but remember the population of NY is 19M - 0.0035 or about 1/3% of the population have tested positive

Lots of times right here in E-town during flu season it is not unusual to have 15%-25% of an office, school, workplace off sick due to a flu outbreak.

I just don't know.... if 5%-20% is the norm for flu infection we would need to see NY with 950K cases just to be at 5% and 3.8M cases to be at 20%.

Right now it's all just numbers, we don't know how many tests have been performed, negative vs positive, etc.

155 deaths in NY so far today sounds horrible but on any given day of any given month of any given year 420 people die in New York (DAILY average) how many of these 155 have underlying or pre-existing conditions - hear disease & cancer are the leading non-covid causes.

I need a drink....

Top Bottom